SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 10-09-14, 11:03 PM   #1
Foot

Default Costing and questions on first TD

I'm getting psyched to do my first trackday.
Although I'm very concerned about binning my bike! Just watched some videos of people being cut up and binning their bikes. I assume there's not much you can do?

The earliest I can do a day is next June (I know, far too far away) but I wouldn't be able to afford fixing up my bike if I binned it.
A lot of people say, if you can't afford to walk away from your bike, don't take it on a track. What's your opinion?

If you take it easy on the track and don't push your limits, do you reckon you'd still have a good enough time for the money?
I'm considering waiting for a little while longer and funding a trackbike. Maybe a beat up zx400 or something. How much do you reckon this'd cost?

And lastly, which track should I go to! Anywhere around Norfolk or Manchester. Currently I was thinking Snetterton, although a lot of straights which I'm led to believe the SV is lacking in?

Thanks in advanced
Old 10-09-14, 11:50 PM   #2
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Default Re: Costing and questions on first TD

Bedford Autodrome.
Big run off areas.
Old 11-09-14, 07:46 AM   #3
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Costing and questions on first TD

Recently did rockingham, it's oop norf so not too far away for you.

I like you was dropping bricks thinking about binning it.

I was only able to do it as I have recently moved so no longer need the bike to commute, so if I binned I would be able to take my time fixing the bike up.

Depends on your own circumstances as to what you can manage.

In terms of worrying, if you have seen the other thread recently asking if a crash was his fault, take a look at the comments. You can mitigate the risks somewhat by riding for yourself and staying in your limits, you can guarantee that you won't crash due to others actions but as I say, it's about mitigating the risks.

I would say anything with a lot of long straights wouldn't be great on the sv, unless there is also some good twisty sections, that's where you'll really enjoy it.

In terms of doing a track specific bike, I'd say not worth it at the moment. Get some experience under you on the sv both on road and on track, learn the bike, it's capabilities and limits and your own. After that look at doing a track bike.

Well that's my plan at least, got 4 and a bit years road experience, did one track day and learnt more about the sv's abilities in 3 sessions than I did in the 4 years.

Other than all that stuff, just enjoy yourself and take your time.

If you can get a mate to go with you, you will have some company. Also, if you can take something to sit on!
Old 11-09-14, 09:14 AM   #4
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Don't let the prospect of trashing your bike put you off to much, but you are right that it is always a possibility and it would be silly to ignore it completely. In theory there is nothing to stop you buying a bike that is already a track bike with everything done to it, doing a few track days and then selling it afterwards, and this is the most cost effective way of looking after your road bike, however it still carries the risk that you could trash your investment and it can attract other costs such as transport etc....

With regard to where to go then the Snetterton 300 layout is quite good for the SV, sure there are a few straights but nothing it can't handle. My only reservation is that it is a fairly long circuit and will take you quite a while to learn and get into a rhythm which is quite important early on. My advice would be to pick a fairly simple circuit for your first time, something like Mallory, Bedford depending on layout, or even Lydden and Brands Indy down in Kent. Whatever you do don't forget to have fun!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14, 11:18 AM   #5
JulesW

Mr Foot, I notice you're partially based in Manchester. Oulton Park is a terrific track and quite close to Manchester. It's not the easiest circuit to learn but is mega rewarding for the rider. Beautiful place and steeped in racing folklore.

If you're worried about being 'stood up' mid-corner take a nice apex hugging lines and a tighter line going in so as not to invite the pass. Quick shoulder check on the approach might also help.

There's always a few ZXR400 on the bay, often for less than £1000, albeit they're a bit scruffy when only £600. Like you, I'd rather ride without worrying about my best bike and ride a cheap buzz box on the track.
Old 11-09-14, 02:30 PM   #6
SIII
Mega Poster

Talking Re: Costing and questions on first TD

Did my first trackdays this year. I was also bricking it about coming off or getting punted off by some eejit. But honestly, I know it happens and have seen the numerous video's on youtube, but in the novice group, as long as you ride within your own limits, I consider the chance of binning it are quite low.

On the 2 days I did, only one biker managed to highside his zzr600 in the novice group !!! Most of the spills were in the fast group, (cos they think they are brilliant and are pushing it to their limits), with a couple in the intermediate group. All of the offs were by single riders and involved no one else.

On a couple of occasions, I got a fright from faster riders in the novice group, cutting under me, but by the second or third session you are going quick enough and know your way around that this stops happening.

Croft is an excellent track for 1st timers, no complicated and only 20 bikes out per session. Bit far but worth considering. (1st week in July 2015 I will be there again)
Old 11-09-14, 04:47 PM   #7
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

As said above, while there is a chance of crashing, it's actually prety small, and provided you keep your head, the odds are no-one else will punt you off. You'll get buzzed a few times though, but it's raarely enough to cause an incident other than in your trousers.

Don't fret too much about which track is more suitable etc., pick one you like and go for it. Oulton is great fun, though quite technical, but you need to visit any track a number of times to really know your way around quickly. I think Rockingham is a good bet as it's wide, grippy, and not too fast - on the National config you'll struggle to break 100 on anything. If you fancy nett then do it, the important bits are the ones that join the straights together.

Don't bother making plans for a track bike now, dip your toe in. You'll soon learn the reality of the saying "it's not what you have but how you ride it". I would suggest hiring a van for the day (or borrowing a trailer), especially if you're travelling a way and/or taking someone with you. You can chuck in deckchairs, tools etc. Loads of people ride to track days, but it's a little restrictive not having the back-up.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14, 04:53 PM   #8
Foot

Some great replies from people - thanks!
Okay, so I'll just go for it on my bike and hope I don't bin it. I'm certain this is something I'll want to do again and again, so then when I've got the funds and experience I'll invest in a track bike. Some good track suggestions too, I'll come back to this when I can finally get out on the track!

This is going to be addictive, I'm sure of it.
Old 11-09-14, 05:01 PM   #9
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot View Post

This is going to be addictive, I'm sure of it.
Now that is what you really need to worry about! I think you've made the right call using your regular road bike.

If you do decide to buy a track bike I'd avoid anything to cheap unless you are particularly good with the spanners. The last thing you need having taken time off work, paid your entry fee and driven miles to get there is to waste valuable track time tinkering with a dodgy bike!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-14, 02:14 PM   #10
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Indeed, also your choice of track bike might be rather different once you have a little experience. I still love a twin on the track as well as the road, but if it were a track-only one I might got for a bigger engine, or even a four, as the extra power isn't needed on the road (you don't get to use it I mean, you can ride anythingon the track and have fun, and can ride anything fast or slow), also there are boatloads of cheap fours with good handling,and who cares if they have no midrange?
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote