SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-07-19, 08:17 AM   #1
Shrek

Default Handlebar conversion

I have a 2018 sv650x cafe racer, converting clipon bars to renthal straight bars.Wondering if anyone can advise a longer clutch cable and brake lines what can be used? Thanks to anyone who may be able to help

Last edited by Shrek; 29-07-19 at 08:33 AM.
Shrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-19, 08:37 AM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Handlebar conversion

I don't know if this will help because I don't know the length of the "X" clutch cable. I fitted risers to my AL7 which required a longer clutch cable and used one from a DL650 which was about 100mm longer if I recall (I'll try and find the measurements I made - it was over a year ago). One thing to note is that the DL650 does not have the rigid metal bend in the cable which is present on the AL7 (near the lever) and the clutch cable adjuster is about 100mm from the cable end instead of being at ther cable end (it's inline if that makes sense). Can't help you with brake lines although if you measured yours I could compare that to mine - but if you're changing hoses it would make sense to go braided perhaps?

edit: the AL7 clutch cable is approx 1030mm long (inner) and 910mm (outer), the DL650 I never recorded its length but I'm sure it was another 100mm. The AL7 cable will just fit with 25mm risers but gets tight on full lock. If the Renthal bars are similar in width to the stock AL7 bars it ought to fit.

Last edited by Seeker; 29-07-19 at 08:57 AM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-19, 10:36 AM   #3
Shrek

Thank you for the help and advice,greatly appreciated.
Old 30-07-19, 07:52 AM   #4
Shrek

Was thinking of braided brakes.Can get some for the 2017 Abs naked SV.Need to check lengths,hopefully long enough with naked having straight bars.
Old 30-07-19, 11:11 AM   #5
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
Was thinking of braided brakes.Can get some for the 2017 Abs naked SV.Need to check lengths,hopefully long enough with naked having straight bars.
Just buy Bunckles

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=233649
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-19, 12:35 PM   #6
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post

The ABS equipped bikes have a junction (valve?) under the headlamp, I doubt that these would work. Shrek has posted on the US site too so we don't know if his bike is ABS or not. The SV650L7 is sold without ABS in the US (or with ABS as the AL7), I don't know whether the SV650X is too.

It's funny, people give all their details to social media but won't include where they reside on a bike forum.
Old 30-07-19, 01:49 PM   #7
Shrek

Yes my bike has ABS,it does have a valve under headlight.Im from the UK.
Old 31-07-19, 08:32 AM   #8
Seeker
Mega Poster

I hadn't realised that the front brake flexible hose on the ABS bikes doesn't run directly to the brake caliper, mainly because I'd never given it any thought. The flexi-hose drops down and connects to a rigid pipe at the headstock that runs to the rear of the bike where the ABS modulator (?) resides. The flexi-hose and the rigid tube are one piece.
https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts...ont-brake-hose

Fowlers don't list a SV650X so I checked a US site and the hose has a different part number between the AL7 and the XAL9.

Anyway, from the banjo at the master cylinder to the start of the rigid pipe at the headstock is 370 mm which should tell you if the bars will fit using the AL7 hose (59200-18K00). It looks a bigger job than I imagined since the rigid pipe snakes through the frame and terminates in front of the rear wheel at the ABS control unit.

ABS seems such a good idea but it's complicated, there are 40 pages in the service manual just on the ABS. There are only 18 pages covering the front and rear brakes.
Old 22-01-20, 09:58 AM   #9
jon_valentine

I had a pair of bars from a BMW R1200GS that I had on my old SV. I have a 2016 AL7 . These bars are wider than the stock and they sit on a 3.5 inch riser too. I had a Suzuki shop in London do the work and it cost 500 but I love it and I have no problems with my ABS.

Last edited by jon_valentine; 22-01-20 at 10:19 AM.
jon_valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-20, 12:01 PM   #10
Seeker
Mega Poster

I have no appreciation of London hourly rates for motorcycle mechanics but £500 to change handlebars when you have supplied the bars seems expensive. Still, if you're happy, that's ok.