SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-12-19, 12:11 AM   #1
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default First Bike Advise

A mate at work last year passed his bike test. He's in his 30's and comes to me for advise as I'm the only guy he knows who rides. I've given him a fair bit of help as I'm happy to do. The other day he texted me to ask what I thought about a bike he's looking to get (yeah I don't know why its taken him this long either) and what I though of it...

He's looking at getting a BMW R Nine T as his first bike. I've politely suggested that I wouldn't recommend such a bike for a first timer, particularly as he hasn't ridden since his test. I just don't think he will get much out of the bike and going from nothing to a 1200cc bike might be on the extreme side. He however is set on it and did not appreciate me asking for first refusal on the salvage...

I've been suggesting other bikes, such as an R3, CBR500, MT07, 390 Duke, SV650, or a Bonneville. Almost persuaded him to look more at the Duke or the Bonnie, but I'm struggling partly as I'm a bit out of the loop on bikes like this.

So over to you all, what bike would you recommend? Why? And why would the BMW be a bad idea, or not for that matter?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-19, 09:39 AM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: First Bike Advise

I agree that going zero to 1200 is too much, even though the RNineT is not the most mental litre-plus bike it's still got 100-ish bhp and is a heavy lump too.

Obv it has all the safety aids (ABS etc) but god knows, after nearly 40 years of riding I still overcook things on a corner sometimes. Like all of us, I've picked up a few tricks on the way that ensures I get myself out of the situation ... but I'm not sure how a novice rider would manage to save a situation caused by a bit too much throttle on a 100bhp, 500-pound bike

I would be tempted to try and steer him towards the 650 / 700cc class: SV, MT07 or Tracer, Kawa 650 or Versys. There's also the new Guzzi 750 range which have the looks of the BMW but are lighter and about 50bhp (still enough to get out of trouble, but not overwhelming).
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-19, 10:00 AM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Going from a learner bike to a litre+ bike will put him firmly in the 'organ donor' category... far better as suggested to get a lighter less powerful bike there are also savings in VED staying below 600cc.

He may have passed his test but now he has to learn to ride... and stay out of trouble.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-19, 10:13 AM   #4
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Naked SV650. Duke 390. Something that gives him the naked wind blast to keep in touch with reality.

Definitely not the BMW. If only because it will be so expensive to drop. Then there's the power he won't / shouldn't need..

If I was doing it again I'd probably look for a CAT C mechanically good CB500 or similar as they can be really really cheap and you can use it to it's limits. Has he got decent kit?
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-19, 02:01 PM   #5
shiftin_gear98

If he wants to buy a shiny big BMW and can afford it then let him he is a grown up.
He has to learn his own life lessons.

If it was me, I'd buy an SV, oh wait a minute... That's what I did.

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 23-12-19 at 08:24 PM.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-19, 05:12 PM   #6
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I’d say an SV is an obvious choice. Fast enough to be fun, not so powerful it’s going to land him instantly in trouble, easy to maintain, and that lovely characterful V twin lump.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-19, 06:10 PM   #7
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post

If it was me, I'd but an SV, oh wait a minute... That's what I did.

Same here.They seem to fetch a higher price recently for some reason and the naked ones are rarer. I'd be looking for something around the £1000 mark that I didn't mind messing up a bit and spending 6 months to a year riding it before looking for something fancy.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-19, 07:40 PM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I wouldnt fret too much about going straight to a big tourer but one proviso-----get some tuition. He wont know his **** from his elbow whatever bike he buys so he needs some constructive help from someone who does.
Old 23-12-19, 09:00 PM   #9
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. I'll pass them on.

As for the question of kit, I can't remember exactly what he has but I did take him shopping for his test and helped him pick out a decent helmet and gloves. I think he was going to use the schools jacket and trousers so will check that hes got his own that is up to scratch now.

With regards to tuition, he did say that he's going to get a bit of a refresher training when he gets the bike as he hasn't ridden since his test, which is a good thing to do. As for more advanced training I always suggest that new riders get some time in the saddle before looking at advanced riding and suchlike.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-19, 07:51 AM   #10
timwilky
Mega Poster

I have a friend who bought an R1 as her first bike in her late 30s, at least her husband bought an R6 as his a few weeks later.

Contrary to popular opinion, when she sold it 3 years later in had not been dropped, unlike the R6 that went into a dry stone wall on his first ride with me as target fixation overtook everthing he had been told about the twisties ahead, and to ride at his own pace, not mine.

So I guess there are some mixed messages.
It is the rider not the bike.
Riding with experienced others might bring on confidence but could encourage a false bravado.