SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-10-09, 11:00 AM   #11
hindle8907
Mega Poster

Default Re: restriction

Well If you are going to restrict the bike your self i would make sure you have in writing from your insurance that you can provide a dyno or they will inspect the bike upon a claim .

I restricted my bike my self with the ECU and some one is claiming againts me.
when i took out my policy the broker told me that a dyno reading would be fine, now the under writer is saying that i need a certificated and having some issues now.

I wish i would have just had it done properly to save all the bother but its up to you.
2010-Now -- 00 SV650s & 00 SV650n & GSXR 600 K2
hindle8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 12:01 PM   #12
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by boot View Post
however I have also been advised that the crank output is where it should be measured.
The DVLA site says clear as day "net" power output which suggests RWBHP to me.

No way the authorities would go to the hassle of sorting out a crank dyno.
Old 03-10-09, 12:48 PM   #13
boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
The DVLA site says clear as day "net" power output which suggests RWBHP to me.

No way the authorities would go to the hassle of sorting out a crank dyno.
I see your point, and don't think the authorities would, however I included this in my post, as I could not gather ascertain the validity of it. It's quite possible that this was the method used when developing the original Suzuki carb diaphragm kit, the FI washer kit, and the newer FI throttle and washer kits, and Suzuki ECU kits. As I would imagine, different tyres, accessories, suspension setups could all have an effect on RWBHP test, but I suppose you'd know better and be better qualified to comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindle8907 View Post
Well If you are going to restrict the bike your self i would make sure you have in writing from your insurance that you can provide a dyno or they will inspect the bike upon a claim .

I restricted my bike my self with the ECU and some one is claiming againts me.
when i took out my policy the broker told me that a dyno reading would be fine, now the under writer is saying that i need a certificated and having some issues now.

I wish i would have just had it done properly to save all the bother but its up to you.

Sorry to hear that. In the event of a claim, I would be relying on an independent solicitor, not an insurance company and/or their chosen solicitor. I don't think I'd have an issue.

It's extremely doubtful that I'll have an accident where power output would be a contributing factor.

Last edited by boot; 03-10-09 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Smelling Pistanges
Old 03-10-09, 12:54 PM   #14
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

FI international struggle to know the difference between their **** and elbow, I don't think they'd know how to set up a crank dyno.

Gearbox and drivetrain losses are significant, at a guess I say OEM 25kW ECU is about 31bhp at rear. A safe bet. I think it would be much lower if it was 33bhp at the crank.

This is not to say they didn't use a crank dyno (suzuki especially), to develop the kits. But the law specifies rear wheel bhp. (net being the total remaining after all deductions).

If they had tried to do me for having 35 crank bhp I would have had my tame breif rip them to shreds! Anyway, I doubt this would go to court.
Old 03-10-09, 01:13 PM   #15
boot

Hence my lack of clarification on the subject and in my original post for the OP, statement that I was unsure of this.

Incidentally, I know nothing of FI, other than their kits seem ridiculously expensive for what they are, and cannot comment on their competency.

For future reference, could you please point me in the direction of where the law specifies rear wheel bhp?

Cheers.
Old 03-10-09, 04:07 PM   #16
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I'm positive it said it on the old DVLA site, doesn't seem to mention it on the new direct.gov one.
Old 10-04-10, 08:13 AM   #17
speeds91

The police will arrange for it to be put on a rolling road there and then and if you havnt got it restricted say good bye, and when you can do over 100mph restricted why bother only difference is slighty more acceleration but its not really needed unless your thrashing it in which case you will just crash it and the insurance will be invalid.
Old 10-04-10, 09:01 AM   #18
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Have you ever heard of this actually being done? I wouldn't think they'd bother because of all the people like me who'd say "oh, cheers, that'll be £100 for a new back tyre then".
Old 10-04-10, 11:46 AM   #19
mikebrooman

I have a curvy restricter for sale for £35 if you wish. PM me!
My view is, if it is restricted, it is legal with or without a certificate. If the need you to prove it, you can get it tested yourself.
If you have the certificate, it is still illegal if you aren't restricted.
In a crash, the insurance company may seize your bike, giving them all the time in the world to find the little washers used to restrict you. If you say you have them and you don't, you won't be covered, and will find yourself in deep water, riding outside of accordance to your licence, riding with no insurance etc.