SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-05-08, 08:17 AM   #1
Viney
Mega Poster

Default Breaking even

Well, after a £17.30 fill up this morning (118.9p), i have done the math, and if petrol gets to the £1.30pL mark, then it will be cheaper to get the train into work. Technically its cheaper now if i take tax, insurance and maintaince into account.

A sad day where they win and we lose.

So, at what point would it be financailly not viable to ride to work and get on the sardine express?

A grey day in the life of commuting
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-08, 08:19 AM   #2
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Default Re: Breaking even

Shifts and house - work locations would make it impossible to commute. Just drive/ride really slllowwwwww...
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-08, 08:19 AM   #3
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
Well, after a £17.30 fill up this morning (118.9p), i have done the math, and if petrol gets to the £1.30pL mark, then it will be cheaper to get the train into work. Technically its cheaper now if i take tax, insurance and maintaince into account.

So, at what point would it be financailly not viable to ride to work and get on the sardine express?

NEVER !!!!

Think of the cost to your soul, the frustration of missed trains, or ones so full you cant get on.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-08, 08:19 AM   #4
Caddy2000

This is the reason I want to get my job re-classified to 'work from home' so I can claim all my commuter mileage back!!!
Old 30-05-08, 08:19 AM   #5
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

MODS!!!!

Please delete this - was a dupe caused by the system messing up :P (Got a database error and EVERYTHING!!!!!)

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-08, 08:20 AM   #6
G
Mega Poster

I would technically need to either

a) - Get a bus/taxi to the train station
- Catch two seperate trains
- Get the bus/taxi to the office

or

b) - Catch 4 seperate buses

But then theres the potential that I would need to carry out a visit at the drop of a hat whilst in the office and need my car/bike....so I would always need my car on standby, so technically it would never be possible.
Old 30-05-08, 08:22 AM   #7
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy2000 View Post
This is the reason I want to get my job re-classified to 'work from home' so I can claim all my commuter mileage back!!!

If the traveling cost became to much I could work from home.....add that to the fact that soon the centre of nottingham is likely to get a ?4.70 (Each way) congestion charge in the near future.
Old 30-05-08, 08:23 AM   #8
Viney
Mega Poster

This isnt a time issue, purley financial. I know that it will take me longer to get to work (Actaully 10 mins more) but thats the joy of living and working in london and living a stones throw from the station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
NEVER !!!!

Think of the cost to your soul, the frustration of missed trains, or ones so full you cant get on.
Ah ok mr kiss. I agree but if you are on a very tight budget, like myself, and it comes down to food, rent, or riding to work, then im sure something will have to go, and i need to eat and live somewhere.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-08, 08:24 AM   #9
petevtwin650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
Well, after a ?17.30 fill up this morning (118.9p), i have done the math, and if petrol gets to the ?1.30pL mark, then it will be cheaper to get the train into work. Technically its cheaper now if i take tax, insurance and maintaince into account.

But isn't this better for the people in general. Providing the transport system doesn't collapse under the strain.

We have gotten used to using our cars for every little thing. I know commuting isn't neccessarily little, but it is perhaps time to reassess our dependence on cars.
Old 30-05-08, 08:30 AM   #10
JamesMio
Mega Poster

I've been seriously considering a little CG125 or similar for commuting on. 100mpg, pittance to insure etc etc.

Granted, it'll probably be slower than getting a train but still...

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote