SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-11-09, 07:56 PM   #1
thulfi

Default Please read - Your help needed for my project

Hey orgers...

I would greatly appreciate it if you could all take the time just to read this, and reply with your own experiences.

I'm a medical student at Kings in London, and I have a self designed assignment based on ambulance motorcycles. I am essentially looking at the 'safety' of them, ie, the number of paramedics that have crashed on their way to a call, the nature of their injuires sustained, the most common areas of crashes, and the times during the day in which this happens most.

I managed to visit the London Ambulance control centre the other day which was very fascinating...one large room, responsible for almost all the 999 ambulance calls within the M25.

Anyway, a small part of the assignment will be comparing their accident figures with that of normal bikers. Obviously there are external factors at work here, such as the paramedics riding skill and their advanced training, the fact they'll be going faster in response to a call, the fact they have sirens, etc and the fact that I'm looking at the London ambulance service.

There is already plenty of data out there for biker accidents (which I shall also be using), but hopefully I can gather enough information here to contribute to my assignment on my own finding for biker accidents in comparison to the data I collect for paramedic bikers.

So if you wont mind just answering these questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

1. How long you have been riding for (not including months or yrs out)
2. How many hours you ride in a week/month (rough estimates only)
3. How many offs you've had on the road(regardless of whose at fault, or if it was just you that binned it) - dont incl track day offs
4. How many years of riding you had under your belt at the time of each off
5. The speed of each off
6. The location of each off (in terms of urban vs countryside)
7. Time of day of each off (again roughly, no need for exact times)
8. Nature of injuries sustained after each off - if no injuries say no injuries.

Please if you're reading this, and you haven't had any off's or injuries, understand that your data and input is as important as those who have had offs.

And for those who have had quite a few offs, I understand it could take a bit to think of or write up. There is no rush as I have til after xmas to hand it in.

Thanks very much for your help orgers.

Last edited by thulfi; 28-11-09 at 09:08 PM.
Old 28-11-09, 07:57 PM   #2
thulfi

Default Re: Please read - You help needed for my project

ah crud. Anyway of editing titles? typo with the your*
Old 28-11-09, 08:14 PM   #3
BanditPat

1. Road riding 22 months, but used to mess around in the fields and round the farm on mini motos and little dirt bikes when i was smaller

2. In a week some where around 14 hours I would think but thats if im not commuting which i dont tend to do at the minute

3. 4

4. First was 2 days, second was 5 months later third was 8 months and the fourth was 11 months

5. First about 15mph, second 5-10 mph, third less than 10mph, fourth 70-80mph

6. First urban, second Urban, Third Urban (test centre), fourth countryside

7. First 7pm or 8pmish, Second 10amish, third lunchtimeish, fourth half
11amish

8. First No Injuries, Second Road rash to knees ankles and hip,Third grazed hands (didnt bother putting my gloves on), Fourth severe sprains to the thumbs wrists ankles and neck and alot of bruising pretty much all over With the neck still giving me grief every now and then.
Old 28-11-09, 08:23 PM   #4
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Approximations

1 Twenty
2 Eight
3 Three
4 First two soon after starting.Other one after about ten years
5 All three less than 10 MPH
6 All urban
7 All early morning
8 No major injuries.
Old 28-11-09, 08:27 PM   #5
El Saxo

1. How long you have been riding for (not including months or yrs out) 4 yrs & 4 months
2. How many hours you ride in a week/month (rough estimates only) 25-ish per month
3. How many offs you've had on the road(regardless of whose at fault, or if it was just you that binned it) - dont incl track day offs none, so 'n/a' to all questions below...
4. Years after you started riding for each off
5. The speed of each off
8. Nature of injuries sustained after each off - if no injuries say no injuries.
Old 28-11-09, 08:36 PM   #6
Red Herring
Mega Poster

23 years, including 6 years as a police motorcyclist.
Average out approximately 10 hours a week
3. How many offs you've had on the road(regardless of whose at fault, or if it was just you that binned it) - dont incl track day offs
None, hit from behind once (very recently actually, but stayed on) so NA to the rest of the questions
5. The speed of each off
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-09, 08:45 PM   #7
davepreston

A 3 years
A 15hrs week ,60hrs month
A 5
A 1, 2, 2, 2, 3
5. The speed of each off
A 5mph, 10mph, 30mph, 70mph, 50mph
A 4 urban 1 country
A 0500, 0600, 1300, 1600, 1800
A no inj, no inj, whiplash, fractured sholder whiplass cuts and bruses, torn knee ligaments concusson cuts burses
Old 28-11-09, 08:49 PM   #8
sv-robo

1. How long you have been riding for (not including months or yrs out)31(SINCE I WAS 7...22 OTR LEGALLY)
2. How many hours you ride in a week/month (rough estimates only)AROUND 5 HRS PER WK...PLEASURE RIDES,NOT COMMUTE,8/9MONTHS PER YEAR
3. How many offs you've had on the road(regardless of whose at fault, or if it was just you that binned it) - dont incl track day offs3,(BUT 1 WAS PILLION ON BACK OF MY DAD WHEN I WAS 9 FOR MY 1ST)
4. Years after you started riding for each off5 MONTHS AFTER MY WORSE OFF
5. The speed of each offAROUND 30 (MY 1ST WHEN PILLION) 85=2ND 110=3RD
6. The location of each off (in terms of urban vs countryside)ALL COUNTRYSIDE
7. Time of day of each off (again roughly, no need for exact times)1ST & 2ND(MID AFTERNOON) 3RD T-TIME
8. Nature of injuries sustained after each off - if no injuries say no injuries.1ST,BONE STICKING OUT OF LEFT KNEE(43STITCHES) 2ND, WRENCHED BACK(I WAS LUCKY) 3RD, BROKEN NECK(IN 2 PLACES)FRACTURED LEFT HUMOUROUS,BROKEN RIGHT HAND,CONCUSSION & BRUISING....VICAR READ THE LAST RIGHTS AS DOCS THOUGHT IT WAS GAME OVER FOR ME

Last edited by sv-robo; 29-11-09 at 12:30 PM.
Old 28-11-09, 08:59 PM   #9
kwak zzr

17 years.
between 3 and 10 per week but at moment 0 cus the weathers ****e.
3. How many offs you've had on the road(regardless of whose at fault, or if it was just you that binned it) - don't incl track day offs
3 offs.
first little one was 10months - second was 14 years - 3rd was 15 years.
5. The speed of each off
20mph and 30 - 40mph
urban and countryside.
early morning 5:30 and midday.
concussion, sv written off - broken collarbone, sv written off.

Last edited by kwak zzr; 28-11-09 at 09:22 PM.
Old 28-11-09, 09:02 PM   #10
Ed

1. How long you have been riding for (not including months or yrs out) 6 years
2. How many hours you ride in a week/month (rough estimates only) 10 - 12 hours - very short commute (2 miles) and weekend social
3. How many offs you've had on the road(regardless of whose at fault, or if it was just you that binned it) - dont incl track day offs 2
4. Years after you started riding for each off 6 months, 2.5 years
5. The speed of each off 47mph, 15mph
6. The location of each off (in terms of urban vs countryside) both countryside, 1st Shifnal 2nd Ludlow
7. Time of day of each off (again roughly, no need for exact times) 8.45am, 10am
8. Nature of injuries sustained after each off - if no injuries say no injuries. 1st - fractured superior pubic ramus, fractured inferior pubic ramus (both left side), multiple cuts and bruises, exposed hip bone. Yes I was wearing leathers. 2nd - none