SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-01-19, 10:29 PM   #1
ChrisF

Default Curvy Stator Issues. Bike cuts out

Hi there, I've been having some issues with my curvy recently. Battery died and bike wouldn't start a while back. Had a new battery in. Went well for a few months, until the bike cut out whilst riding. Electrics went first, then the bike begun to splutter until iflt finally stopped altogether.

After recharging the battery, I am able to start the bike but it dies very quickly afterwards in the same way as mentioned above.

I've replaced the RR as I had a spare lying about (also replaced the starter relay).

Battery voltage drops slightly when the bike is started, rather than 14ish volts that should be seen.

I have measured the resistances of my coils, all check out (around 0.5ohms).

I've also checked that my stator wires are not shorting to earth.

I was unable to run the bike long enough to get to 5000rpm to check the ac output from the stator, but while idling I was only getting 18v (supposedly 70 is required at 5000 rpm, not sure what reading is normal at idle).

I've also shorted my kickstand switch but the problem persists.

I am thinking that my stator needs replacing (only guessing, as I said before I'm not sure if my 18v was normal) , but before forking out on a new one I just want to see if there is anything else I can do, or if any one might have some other advice.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Last edited by ChrisF; 05-01-19 at 11:26 PM.
ChrisF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 12:10 AM   #2
phi-dan

Default Re: Curvy Stator Issues. Bike cuts out

I had a similar voltage issue last year, although mine didn't cut out, it just didn't charge the battery. As in your case, battery tested okay, r/r tested okay and stator tested okay, but low AC volts. When I took the stator cover off I found that the rotor magnets had either shattered, or were free floating
Not a common thing to happen...
I replaced the rotor with one from a breaker, and that solved that problem.
Unfortunately, shrapnel from the magnets later took out the oil pump, so that was the end of that.
Unless you've had the stator cover off recently you'll need a new gasket for re-assembly.

Last edited by phi-dan; 06-01-19 at 12:14 AM.
phi-dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 09:03 AM   #3
ChrisF

Thanks for the reply. I saw a video of a snapped magnet. The guy said he had never seen anything like it in 16 year. Seems to fit the bill though. I'll have a look later today if I can
Old 06-01-19, 09:58 AM   #4
ChrisF

Magnets on the rotor are all intact. However when I pulled off the stator cover a small, thimble size, stone dropped out. The coils don't look damaged from what I can see. Stuck again!
Old 07-01-19, 05:04 PM   #5
ChrisF

Bump
Old 08-01-19, 11:56 AM   #6
ChrisF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I would have thought that the bike should run for a while on a charged battery even if the charging system wasn't functioning, unless the charging system (fault) is dragging the battery voltage down quickly.

Charge the battery, disconnect the r/r dc leads (maybe unplug headlamps?) and see if it runs for longer as a total loss system. It will let you know whether it's only a charging problem or whether you have another issue too. I don't know what voltage the curvy's igniter will stop working.
Even with the battery hooked up to my car still having the same symptoms. Surely this rules out the battery as the cause?
Old 08-01-19, 02:01 PM   #7
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

It could be coil/s failure and even faulty plug caps can limit the engine.

See this post,

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...hlight=SD05FMB

and I use the Red ones,

but these are the same,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-SV...frcectupt=true

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 08-01-19 at 02:05 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 02:05 PM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
Magnets on the rotor are all intact. However when I pulled off the stator cover a small, thimble size, stone dropped out. The coils don't look damaged from what I can see. Stuck again!
there should be nothing dropping out.. if it did then its been floating about in the engine = bad news.

the only thing that should come out of an engine is oil, everything else should be bolted down.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 02:46 PM   #9
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Not looked in until now. Agreed connecting a second battery should rule out electrical problems, however the main connector on the starter relay that takes power to the loom can go, so unless you have bypassed this then it could still be at fault - mine had partially melted and started making intermittent contact and gave up in the end.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 03:49 PM   #10
ChrisF

Appreciate the replies guys, all good stuff.

My spark plugs are less than a few months old but I'll get them out and test them anyway.

My starter relay is also new too, so doubt the issue lies there. I'll keep posting when I find out some more