SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-04-05, 03:32 PM   #1
Sudoxe

Default laptop tank bag

Righty. I need to carry a fairly small laptop to and from work. I have a baglux tank cover so, im gussing i'll use a baglux bag.

Any recommendations on which one, theres too many to choose from!

Dan
Old 22-04-05, 03:37 PM   #2
Iansv

a yellow one that fits ?

sorry
Old 22-04-05, 07:46 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I dont use a tank bag, I am worried the vibrations etc etc will kill my laptop ( its been dropped a few times and is a bit fragile )

I carry mine about in a small alpinestars rucksack, mind you I am now thinking that the laptop might not make a very good back protector and actually damage my back should I come off.... umh....

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-05, 09:36 PM   #4
shutdown

its better to have a laptop "loose" in a rucksack than all tightly packed up.

carry my mac everywhere in a rucksack and it's been fine

yes if you come off you will knacker it but thats probably the last thing to think of
Old 23-04-05, 07:05 AM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutdown
yes if you come off you will knacker it but thats probably the last thing to think of
I was more worried about it knackering me...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-05, 02:10 PM   #6
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutdown
True... I'd be more concerned about having bits of 'Apple' removed from my back than anything else... If it's in a tank-bag it'll still get smashed, but it'll go with the bike & not the rider - I don't carry anything on my back whilst riding
Old 25-04-05, 10:01 PM   #7
Blue Flame
Mega Poster

I carry my laptop in a backpack but had considered using my tankbag. The thing that concerns me however is the magnets......they might have some fun with the hard drive

Previous >> K3 SV650S - Candy Copper;Lower Fairing Set;Fender Extender; Powerbronze Screen; HEL Braided Lines;
Blue Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-05, 01:10 AM   #8
rictus01
Mega Poster

Dan, as I said on friday, the baglux stuff is very practical.

if the laptop is A4 size then you should be looking at,

Shibuya 15 Dim :37 x 21 x 14 cm. 12 L
Delta n°8 Dim : 45 x 28 x 30 cm. 22 L
Alpha n°6 Dim : 40 X 26 X 27 cm. 30 L

if not then take a look here. just click on the bag for dimensions.

Oh, and just for ref, my laptop covered about 50,000 miles in my tankbag last year, with no ill effects (although it did freeze(temp not software) up the screen on one trip to Exeter, and had to be warmed up to get it working again).

And thoughs more concerned with their laptops than their backs, should perhaps think which is easier to replace .

if/when I use a rucksack, then I only put soft stuff in.

Cheers Mark.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-05, 06:06 AM   #9
MavUK

Must get one sorted for mine - if not for the latop then for the other things I carry - lunch etc...

I have to admit this is my majoy fault on a bike... Some people ride without protection, I use a rucksack knowing that it's a bad thing to do...

As I get my holiday allowance next month (Dutch thing - get paid double salalry in May) I may have to invest I think...

Anyone seen any of the soft paniers for sale anyway that just strap onto the bike. I've seen someone on a Ducati monster with one, but never seen them for sale. Are they better, or worse than tank bags?

Stu
Old 26-04-05, 07:21 AM   #10
DKrider

hi - I have been using a bit of both. As a tankbag I use an oxford humpback - works ok, but the laptop has to be slightly angled in - haven't had any negatives due to virbration, magnets etc. Problem was, it I had a day with laptop, change of clothes etc, then the tankbag had to be used fully expanded - and then i couldn't see the clocks - bummer. This season I am trying out a backpack - the Kriega 20 litre - brilliant - and it has a built in protection so no sharp bits dig into your back. Feels really good, and I hardly notice its there. So, I was all happy until this weekend when I was on a rider safety course - there they said never wear a backpack - because if you go down, you won't be able to roll out of the way og oncoming traffic.... So, like so much in biking it seems to be a question of a compromise between risk and comfort/fun!