SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-11-17, 10:03 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Royal Enfield twin

I've been following this bike's development for a while and it has now been announced at the EICMA show. The leaked reports said it would be a 700cc twin but it is actually a 650cc.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...50-twins-eicma

I like retro styling generally and these bikes look good to my eyes but I don't understand how you can start with a clean sheet of paper and produce a modern OHC 650cc engine that only produces 47 hp and 38 ft/lb of torque and then make a bike that weighs 200 kg. Maybe it's a durability/longevity concept with the home (Indian) market in mind?
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-17, 10:39 AM   #2
Grim-Lock

Default Re: Royal Enfield twin

Makes it A2 learner legal too like the Honda 500s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grim-Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-17, 10:52 AM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I wouldn't like to go too fast on roads in India, don't forget cows have complete right of way over traffic. This bike probably uses as many parts from existing Royal Enfield models as possible. Guy Martin chose a Royal Enfield for his TV tour of India, no good taking an exotic bike as if it broke down it may never get fixed. I bet octane of available fuel is limited as well. As long as seat can carry 5 people and a crate of chickens it will sell well.

That cut-off front mudguard on the one model may be asking for trouble on Indian roads, especially with the oil cooler radiator.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 09-11-17 at 09:08 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-17, 03:36 PM   #4
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

A couple of years ago I saw three,"Ladies" riding around the small country roads I like around here on the UK re-built/built REs and they did look retro-cool and sounded awesome

It's nice to have variety in the World IMHO

Old 08-11-17, 03:56 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I suppose my point is that a 1968 Triumph Bonneville produced 46 hp and 37 ft/lb torque and only weighed 165 kg. The engine was based on Edward Turner's Speed Twin, a 1937 design. I'm sure by modern standards the 1968 engine would be considered "dirty" but allowing for cleaning up the engine emissions I would have expected more power (and less weight from the complete bike) from a new design. Still, it's always easy being an armchair critic who has never designed a bike in his life and I don't what their design goals were.
the people buying a Royal Enfield are not buying them for their power. BHP is not everything, in fact that's the 'pleasure'
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-17, 04:01 PM   #6
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
the people buying a Royal Enfield are not buying them for their power. BHP is not everything, in fact that's the 'pleasure'
This

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-17, 04:26 PM   #7
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
I've been following this bike's development for a while and it has now been announced at the EICMA show. The leaked reports said it would be a 700cc twin but it is actually a 650cc.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...50-twins-eicma

I like retro styling generally and these bikes look good to my eyes but I don't understand how you can start with a clean sheet of paper and produce a modern OHC 650cc engine that only produces 47 hp and 38 ft/lb of torque and then make a bike that weighs 200 kg. Maybe it's a durability/longevity concept with the home (Indian) market in mind?
Triumph sell their T100 Bonneville and street cup 900cc twins with only 54 ponies. They weigh in at around 220KG

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-17, 09:43 PM   #8
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Triumph sell their T100 Bonneville and street cup 900cc twins with only 54 ponies. They weigh in at around 220KG
As a 2017 T100 owner I can vouch that it feels lighter and has plenty enough mid-range torque for every day riding. 50 odd ponies are plenty and it sounds wonderful. Bibs and Smithers are quite right that some of us are quite happy trundling around on a modern classic.
Old 09-11-17, 07:28 AM   #9
Geodude
Mega Poster

I like the look of that 500 desert storm.

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 08:45 AM   #10
Talking Heads

Quote:
I suppose my point is that a 1968 Triumph Bonneville produced 46 hp and 37 ft/lb torque and only weighed 165 kg. The engine was based on Edward Turner's Speed Twin, a 1937 design. I'm sure by modern standards the 1968 engine would be considered "dirty" but allowing for cleaning up the engine emissions I would have expected more power (and less weight from the complete bike) from a new design. Still, it's always easy being an armchair critic who has never designed a bike in his life and I don't what their design goals were.
Weight of bikes are given fully oiled and fuelled these days.
That figure for the 68 Bonnie is dry.
Add four imperial gallons of unleaded and fill it with oil.....
Oh wait a minute, it might not like ethanol blend unleaded, not as good quality or as potent as the old four star....
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote