SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-02-18, 12:20 AM   #191
Talking Heads

Default Re: Test ride challenge

Maybe try an XSR700, in many ways its a nicer bike imo.

cycle-ergo.com is a useful resource for comparing bike riding positions.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-18, 01:02 AM   #192
TicklinJock

Nice review Yokohama.
I went for a test ride on the XSR900 back in September. Hook, line and sinker springs to mind. Ergonomics are spot on for me. Traded my SV the following week, and I had six weeks on it before the gritters came out and the XSR went into hibernation. Four months now, and counting. Looking forward to spring.
First thing I added was extensions to the mirrors, so I could see past my elbows.
Still with the stock exhaust and it does sound whiney at low revs, then as the revs increase the whine becomes a growl, and if you feel the need to take it into the top third, it howls. I notice a cheeky burble on the overrun.
I think the bigger tyres on the XSR make it less twitchy on loose surfaces than my SV, but cornering speeds are similar.
My SV had a 17 litre tank and the XSR is only 13 litres, so range is less. This would have been a deal breaker for me a few years ago, but many rural fuel stations are now doing a 24hr card payment pump.
The manual says "do not blip the throttle when down-shifting" as it can cause the slipper clutch to disconnect. It's a hard habit to break.
I haven't tried the electronic modes yet. Left them in standard to get used to the bike first.
[IMG]P1010382 by ticklinjock - the plough, on Flickr[/IMG]
TicklinJock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-18, 09:15 AM   #193
L3nny
Mega Poster

Looks like a form over function exercise to me, don't know why you'd pay the extra over an MT09 for one.
Old 26-02-18, 09:43 AM   #194
andy650

Those triples sound wicked with a pipe, nice compromise engine sitting between boringly efficient IL4's and characterful twins.

I'd consider one
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-18, 10:18 AM   #195
Craig380
Mega Poster

The Yam manual's advice not to blip when changing down seems unusual to me ... I wonder if it's more to do with the fly-by-wire throttle rather than the slipper clutch?
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-18, 10:43 AM   #196
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
Looks like a form over function exercise to me, don't know why you'd pay the extra over an MT09 for one.
Better riding position, nicer looking (well, to me), and according to reviews, better suspension and improved fuelling/throttle set up too.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-18, 10:47 AM   #197
yokohama

Nice to hear from someone who owns one TicklinJock.
Did you find it easy to get used to the electronic throttle? What sort of mpg/mileage per tank are you getting from it?
Not ridden on Bridgestones before either; what are the OE tyres like?
Old 27-02-18, 01:53 AM   #198
TicklinJock

Sorry Folks, Checked the manual and the "don't blip the throttle" advice is in the fuel economy section. I now remember the bit about slipper clutch disconnecting came from a friend with a slipper clutch.

My throttle has been spot on, but I have only used it in standard mode so far.
Suspension has been spot on too.

I have been seeing about 45mpg, mainly on twisty rural roads. So, a range of only 120 miles. Fuelly says around 50mpg and that's probably more likely on motorways.

The OE S20 tyre on the rear only reached 2000 miles, but was very good, so I put Bridgestone's recommended replacement tyre, the S21 on. It's supposed to be good for 30% more.
Roads are rough around here, so I don't see the tyre mileage that others claim.

I also changed the grips to Oury's thicker latex ones, as I felt the bar was a bit buzzy.
Old 27-02-18, 07:35 AM   #199
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by TicklinJock View Post
Sorry Folks, Checked the manual and the "don't blip the throttle" advice is in the fuel economy section. I now remember the bit about slipper clutch disconnecting came from a friend with a slipper clutch.

My throttle has been spot on, but I have only used it in standard mode so far.
Suspension has been spot on too.

I have been seeing about 45mpg, mainly on twisty rural roads. So, a range of only 120 miles. Fuelly says around 50mpg and that's probably more likely on motorways.

The OE S20 tyre on the rear only reached 2000 miles, but was very good, so I put Bridgestone's recommended replacement tyre, the S21 on. It's supposed to be good for 30% more.
Roads are rough around here, so I don't see the tyre mileage that others claim.

I also changed the grips to Oury's thicker latex ones, as I felt the bar was a bit buzzy.
Thanks for that. It's all good to know. I bit the bullet and put a deposit down on a silver one.
Old 27-02-18, 08:36 PM   #200
TicklinJock

Looks cool in silver! Enjoy the XSR Yokohama.