SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-06-18, 09:06 PM   #11
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: 2001 SV650 Engine Diagnostic Help

From your videos the tension on the front cam chain looks fine. Yes there is a little more slack in the rear but there wasnt any rock in the cam shaft when you pressed the chain so I wouldn't be so concerned by that. If the tensioner had failed I would expect to see much more movement in the chain. Its been a while since I've had a failed tensioner in my hands but what I remember if it fails the ratchet will not work so you will be able to push it back and thus have the slack in the chain. I could be wrong on that though.

But for now your top end looks fine. Its the bottom end to check next as per that video. Good luck.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-18, 02:17 AM   #12
aje14700

So unfortunately, it looks like i have about .5-.75mm of play with the front piston, rear piston is rock solid.

Hypothetically, if I were to keep running it (making sure to have full oil level) would it get worse? Or just stay as is?

Since I'd really like to fix this, and taking it to a mechanic would be prohibitively costly, any tips for dropping and splitting the engine? It looks like the bearing is only about $30USD. I know I'll probably need a special tool to get the rotor off, a special bit for the engine mounts, and another tool to split the case. Do you think it'd be better to just buy an engine off ebay?
Old 24-06-18, 01:13 PM   #13
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

If you have found play in the main bearings in short, that engine is done I'm sorry to say.

If you were to continue to run the engine it will get worse as it wears more. At the moment other parts of the engine are probably fine, but as that bearing disintegrates there will be more slop in the rod and potential for piston and cylinder damage. The remains of the bearing could make its way into the oil pump and if that stops working things are going to get messy quickly. So in short don't run it any more.

At this point I would want to be 100% sure its the main bearing so would look to take the front barrel off to visibly see the movement in the rod. This can be done with the engine still in the frame should you wish to.

With regards to fixing it, in short replace the engine thats your easiest option. Or sell the bike as spares repairs and get another. Or, which is the more fun, replace the crank with a known good one. Unfortunately you cannot just replace the bearing as the crank will need to be reground as well and that is not recommended.

If you are looking for any tips or tricks, hopefully this thread will help.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-18, 02:25 PM   #14
aje14700

I've decided to get a 2012 Honda NC700X with 5k miles on it, cause why not have 2 bikes

I'll double check this is the case by removing the cylinder, but I feel like that's probably it.

I guess over the next few weeks I'll have to decide if I want to get a second engine to put in, and rebuild the other one over several months; or just drop and rebuild this one. Either way, my SV probably won't be ready to ride until next season, which is unfortunate but required.

Thanks everyone for the help, thoughts, and comments. I'll update this thread if I find anything new or start the drop and rebuild process.
Old 24-06-18, 03:15 PM   #15
aje14700

The extra storage space and fuel economy (65-70 mpg) is what really sold me, especially when my SV was getting about 44mpg, and my car gets about 25mpg.
Old 24-06-18, 03:36 PM   #16
aje14700

Based on my spark plugs, I think I was running a little rich, and I accelerated harder than needed.

Also even though it is a Honda, once an SV rider always an SV rider ?