SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 23-07-12, 06:37 PM   #1
Brettus

Default It's been a while.....

Anyone with Staind going round their head well done, you think like me. (probably not a good thing in truth )

I've finally got out and about with my camera a bit more, following on from the Barmouth trip a couple of weeks ago I've picked up a proper tripod after a wanting one for a couple of years but not able to justify the cost.

Sunday 18:30 I'd had enough of being sat in all weekend and jumped in the car and by 19:00 found myself heading down a deserted westbound carriageway of the A55 heading into wales when it seemed like half the population was trying to get out. (I'm assuming tourists as I haven't heard of a 28days later style outbreak).

After many hours browsing and searching google maps I'd found a few lighthouses that I can get to, one was around an hour away. I'd be passing the Duke of Lancaster and it'd be rude not to stop there with the sun close to setting.

I headed for the right hand path to bring me out on the sunlit side of the ship and think I made the right choice, picking details out in the shady side would have been tricky.

When editing the pics up I wondered if any of them would suit monochrome as I've not really done much in that yet. Here is the result, I'm pretty pleased for an early go.

I couldn't spend too long lingering though as I'd planned to find this lighthouse. I'd scouted the route on streetview so I knew where I was headed. George R R Martin audiobook in the background describing some very cold places meant that even the North Wales coast felt balmy when I hopped out of the car into the noise and unmistakable aroma of caravan country.

Even from my chosen spot 200 yards away from the outdoor entertainment for tonights inmates (err holiday park residents) I could hear the cheesy music tributes.

The result from 30 or so pictures was one that I quite like, I used my ND filter to give a longer shutter time and create some movement, I quite like the effect as I've done it before with the Duke of Lancaster but this looked better as the lighthouse is more "stationary" somehow.

Departed before true sunset as I suspect it wasn't going to be much in the end and I didn't want an hours drive back in near dark.

Must get out more this summer!
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-12, 05:23 AM   #2
mister c
Mega Poster

Default Re: It's been a while.....

Nice pics Brett, liking the sky in the 2nd shot & love the contrasts in the 1st, it works well in B & W
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-12, 08:01 AM   #3
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

Brill brett ,
What made u put lighthouse right in the middle and not to one end ?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 24-07-12, 06:48 PM   #4
Brettus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister c View Post
Nice pics Brett, liking the sky in the 2nd shot & love the contrasts in the 1st, it works well in B & W
Thanks, I've not previously found many pictures that lend themselves to B&W but this one seemed to work, got really good light on the side I was on and the sky was nicely varied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiff Wichard View Post
Brill brett ,
What made u put lighthouse right in the middle and not to one end ?
Thanks Quiff,
The rule of thirds does suggest to put focus items off to one side but I try a few things when I'm taking pictures of static things, I did get some with it in the prescribed place but my intention was mainly the sky, use the lighthouse as a little foreground interest almost.

I took 67 pictures of the lighthouse, most were too dark as my shutter release was playing up and not holding the shutter open long enough, truth is the best looking pic turned out to be one with it framed centrally.

Dunno if it was the right call or even a call at all, perhaps just chance.

I wish I could say I planned my shots more but most of them are a vague idea and then take as many shots as I can and hope some turn out. The most frustrating is going out with an idea and not being able to make an image that looks like the idea.

Thanks for looking and the encouragement
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
Old 25-07-12, 07:55 AM   #5
tactcom7

Great pics Brettus, i am wondering if the first pic with the second sky would give a sense of movement back to the ship, not sure if that would work or not but i do like the lighthouse one a lot
Old 25-07-12, 06:19 PM   #6
Brettus

In true blue peter style.... "here's one I prepared earlier"

Last time I was out that way (almost 2 years ago now I've checked) I was using the filter and was on the other side.
I really like the motion you can capture from the sky, one of those unseen things.
The HDR one turned out interesting too, I'd just started playing with HDR then.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brettne...n/photostream/
Quote:
Old 25-07-12, 09:26 PM   #7
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

mate, are you going to do a motorcycle master class in photography soon...

As I'll sign up now.. please... :0)
Old 26-07-12, 05:30 AM   #8
Brettus

Ah Richie you flatterer, there are plenty of others on here who actually know what they are doing when they take a picture, I've seen a lot of flickr streams and know enough to know I'm just an enthusiastic amateur (I'm good at giving the illusion of knowing what I'm doing though, it's kept me in a job for years )

I know it's more waffle but to illustrate this, despite my best efforts at thinking of a picture for this months competition (and being reasonably pleased with the results) when I put it along side the other entries this month I can see it doesn't measure up, there are (and always are) some corking pics that I wished I'd taken

But I did wonder about a photography rideout, short distance but 5-6 stops at photogenic locations, let the orgers loose and then once back, organise into threads the pictures from each location to see each persons take on the place. sounds easy in theory but once I tried to string some places together in a route it got awkward. Not sure there are enough photographers in each region to make it viable either. Shame we can't do a great Org relay race, passing through each region and people pick up and drop off from the route of the group as it suits their home location.

ooh, another idea has just bubbled to the surface, something to ponder.

Thanks for the kind words though Richie
That's the best thing about the org though, we all learn something from each other.
Quote:
Old 08-08-12, 08:56 PM   #9
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

The take your camera and get out on Ya Bike Ride out... :0)

Sounds like a V cool Idea.... :0)
Old 09-08-12, 05:08 PM   #10
Bluefish

Great idea, about the photo ride out, and the pic of the light house is fantastic mate