SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-08-15, 02:13 PM   #1
Grinch

Default Motorcycle Front Wheel Trailers

Has anyone used this style of trailer -

As seen on the Bike Carriers website.

I like the idea of it as I can just store the mount in the boot of the car until you hook up the bike, but I've got some worries.
  1. Does it not put strain on the driver chain of the bike as the rear wheel is not running more rather being 'turned'.
  2. This drive transfer to the gears and gearbox of the bike adding wear and stress to the system.
  3. With the front wheel lifted does this not also mean that the oil inside the bike is not lubricating all the gearbox when its being driven by the forward motion. I know its in neutral but isn't something still 'spinning'?
  4. Is this also not extra stress on the head-bearings of the front yokes?

If this has been asked before, please do point me in the right direction as I suspect my search was looking for the wrong keywords.
Old 05-08-15, 02:25 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Motorcycle Front Wheel Trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
  1. Does it not put strain on the driver chain of the bike as the rear wheel is not running more rather being 'turned'. no, think about it the chain would be going round if you were riding it.
  2. This drive transfer to the gears and gearbox of the bike adding wear and stress to the system. no, its in neutral.
  3. With the front wheel lifted does this not also mean that the oil inside the bike is not lubricating all the gearbox when its being driven by the forward motion. I know its in neutral but isn't something still 'spinning'? yes but the oil will get flung enough.
  4. Is this also not extra stress on the head-bearings of the front yokes? no, will just be the same as any other time.
what i would be concerned about is long distance and the rear tyre getting a flat crown. also reversing might be a problem. for picking bikes up locally though it looks a superb bit of kit.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-15, 02:42 PM   #3
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

hmm tyre wear would be way less than actually riding the bike itself. Main thing that squares a tyre is putting a driving force through it.

Now lance, I think you should look into designing a boggie that can be placed under the back wheel so the tyre is free from the ground. But then you'd just be better off with a trailer.

I do like the idea of the whole thing though.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-15, 02:56 PM   #4
Grinch

Well the price is so much better that buying a full trailer, and I have a box trailer for other things. So yes I was thinking it would be great for short journeys, but as you can imagine I was being a bit paranoid. Plus the other advantage of just unhooking it and shoving it in the boot, make it so much more flexible. I was curious about long journeys as I'd seen a few people mention travelling back from Scotland on the website.
Old 05-08-15, 03:09 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by carelesschucca View Post
hmm tyre wear would be way less than actually riding the bike itself. Main thing that squares a tyre is putting a driving force through it.

Now lance, I think you should look into designing a boggie that can be placed under the back wheel so the tyre is free from the ground. But then you'd just be better off with a trailer.

I do like the idea of the whole thing though.
already thought about that, all you would need is same as front but with wheels and a square section that bolts on so it wont let it go side to side but will let it go up and down.

another problem i see with that design is getting the front wheel onto the hitch.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-15, 03:23 PM   #6
Grinch

They have a VIDEO here of it being put on... then I saw the paint pot!

Last edited by Grinch; 05-08-15 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-08-15, 06:38 PM   #7
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Should it have a light bar of some sort at the back of the bike? Ok you can see the tow vehicles lights pretty well if directly behind but in poor visibility or in the dark I'd be worried about a blind idiot misjudging distances and ramming the bike.
Old 06-08-15, 12:01 PM   #8
nutzboutbikes

If he took the hard top off he could probably put the bike in the back of the truck.
Old 06-08-15, 12:34 PM   #9
Grinch

Yes he probably could with that great bike truck. When you buy the full kit, it comes with a number board and a ramp.
Old 07-08-15, 10:43 AM   #10
Grinch

So it would seem as I have the swan neck style of tow bar I'd have to buy a adapter for a extra £60.
Still cheaper than a collapsible bike trailer.