SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-06-18, 06:50 PM   #1
StredonSB

Default -

-

Last edited by StredonSB; 08-01-21 at 12:27 PM.
StredonSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-18, 07:01 PM   #2
Talking Heads

Default Re: Wrong Choice. New '18 SV650.

Very little specifically to keep an eye on, worst corrosion that ever appeared on mine was on the oil filter.

I don't ride mine all year but it lives outside year round within a few hundred yards from the north sea.
Looks pretty good at 14 months old but I don't ride in rain much (the mudguards are absolutely non-existent) and clean it regularly with waterless wash and wax.

If you ride in rain regularly your gear is going to get absolutely clarted.

If I was going to ride my SV in winter it would be getting a visit from AllYearBiker.
A colleaugue who has a 15reg MT-07 has hers done by them and it looks better than new.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-18, 08:17 PM   #3
StredonSB

-

Last edited by StredonSB; 08-01-21 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-06-18, 11:25 AM   #4
Talking Heads

My starter motor was never that shiny.
Old 07-06-18, 01:32 PM   #5
Talking Heads

Yep, have checked the photos I took before collecting it and the finish on the centre bit looks like the ends.
Old 07-06-18, 04:19 PM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Congratulations and good choice - testers say the SV looks a bit dated but if it ain't broke why fix it, the twin spark SV engine from Gladius onwards is a beautiful thing, with good mpg and so slim (good news for us who are compromised / challenged in the leg department.

Get a front fender extender (Pyramid) just to stop stones hitting radiator (standard front mudguard is a joke, like many these days), and preferably a 'Seeker' front mudflap ( I want one) !

Hugger is optional as there is a flap covering rear linkages but I fitted one anyway (Pyramid Plastics carbon fibre look) because I like the look.

Also fitted an MRA screen but wind noise in helmet was horrendous as it shoved all the turbulent air up to helmet level, chopped 70mm of the upturned top of screen off and noise was better but still not as good as pre-screen level, to be honest the shaped headlamp cowl does a good job of deflecting wind anyway, and I still got as many kamikazie insects hitting helmet visor as there were before the screen, so off it came much quieter....

The first thing I added to my 2016 AL7 was a couple of 10watt LED spotlights from Alchemy motorcycle parts - they are more like Daytime running lights and are excellent for stopping cagers pulling out on you as they are very hard to ignore, just a couple of straight brackets held by mirror hold down bolts - I think they have probably saved me from dozy cagers a few times, but of course I will never really know....

There are some pictures of my AL7 just past halfway down on page 5 of this thread (after I chopped top off the MRA screen) can see fender extender, hugger and spotlights and some handguards, also sprayed the silencer heatshield black and also blackened the exhaust pipes to make them disappear (high temp black paint).

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...tlights&page=5

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 07-06-18 at 07:01 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-18, 09:50 AM   #7
Grant66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I thought the MT-07 was a good bike (I've not had one) but other than suspension issues and stalling in the early versions, they were supposed to be reliable. They usually beat the SV in road tests.
It is, I have one and in most respects it's better than the SV.

The one area where it fails is the finish. I thought Suzuki had used cheese instead of aluminium for screw heads, but Yamaha take crap metal to a whole new level.
Three warranty corrosion claims in two years. The water pipes last a month in winter before turning black paint into a novel written in braille, the swing arm rusts along the welds (at least that survived one winter). Bolts, screws or pretty much any exposed metal will turn white in less that 18 months and don't get me started on the radiator finish, it looks like stevie wonder painted it with a 4ft brush.

If you ever want to remove any of the plastics make sure you have a sturdy set of allen keys, they are tightened and locktited in the factory to ensure they never come out. Unless it's the foot peg hero bolt , one scrape on the floor and it's gone for good, which isn't that much of a problem as they are far too long they hit the ground with half an inch of tread left on the rear wheel.

The MT07 is a great bike, but it seems Yamaha made some cost choices and lack of all year use is the result.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-18, 05:26 PM   #8
StredonSB

-

Last edited by StredonSB; 08-01-21 at 12:27 PM.
Old 26-06-18, 06:43 PM   #9
Talking Heads

Nice, a real 90° v-twin instead of a fake 270° crank parallel.
Canny beat the real thing

Last edited by Talking Heads; 26-06-18 at 06:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 26-06-18, 07:00 PM   #10
StredonSB

-

Last edited by StredonSB; 08-01-21 at 12:30 PM.