SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-11-11, 04:33 PM   #1
DJFridge

Default Organ Donation

The Welsh Assembly proposal the other day about changing the system so that people are presumed to be donors unless they have opted out got me thinking.

I'm interested to know what the org in general thinks about it and if, as bikers, the views are different from the population as a whole. My personal thoughts:

1. I think you should have to have a extremely strong reason for not being a donor. If I ever need anything I would certainly hope that a spare liver or whatever would be available, so it would be gross hypocrisy not to make mine available if I'm not going to need it any more.

2. Even if you are on the donor register, at the moment your next of kin can still refuse what is, effectively, your dying wish. This, IMHO, is the bit that needs changing. If I choose that, in the event of me being dead with a pulse for whatever reason (and we all have to bear the possibility in mind), my body should be broken for spares, that is my choice. My next of kin, however well meaning, should have NO RIGHT to go against those wishes. As it happens, Wifey and I had "the talk" and she is in full agreement with me. She's quite happy to go for spare parts if the worst happens to her too. The problem seems to more often be parents refusing to accept that their child had chosen to be a donor.

Anyway, thoughts anyone?
Old 10-11-11, 04:40 PM   #2
missyburd

Default Re: Organ Donation

I wholeheartedly agree with point number 2, it's not right that your wishes are overruled when you could be the difference between a life and a death for someone else and their family.

And I partly agree with point 1 but every circumstance is different and you are entitled to how you think you should be treated when you have left this world. You shouldn't be thought less of for not being a donor, anymore than you should feel pressured into it, it's a big decision whichever way you regard it and it's nobody's place to tell you otherwise.
Old 10-11-11, 05:48 PM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

I have carried a card (still in my wallet, dated 15/2/91), girlfriend name crossed out and wifes new surname as next of kin.

When I first told her, she wasn't happy. Didn't like them cutting up a piece of dead me. Strange decades later she has a disease or two that mean she may one day require a new liver. Oh what a shock, she is now full of implied consent.
Old 10-11-11, 05:56 PM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

Yep, had the card for ages and never could understand why you have to opt in, rather than opt out
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 05:58 PM   #5
SV650Racer

They would have trouble with me if they needed my kidneys as only have one LOL
Old 10-11-11, 06:02 PM   #6
maviczap
Mega Poster

ones better than none, as one of my colleagues had suffered from problems.

mind you he had 3 inside him at one time, only one functioning.

Since then he's had a successful transplant which did improve his life until the medication affected his hip joint and put him on crutches. How unlucky can you get.

But hes grateful he doesn't have to attend the hospital for dyalysis 3 times a week
Old 10-11-11, 07:14 PM   #7
Kenzie

Have organ donation as a code on my license. My view is, if I'm dead I won't need it! No use giving it to the worms to eat when I could live on in other people. Not sure how my blood condition would affect donation though. I know I can't give blood. Will ask at the hospital next appointment.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 09:43 PM   #8
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
I have carried a card (still in my wallet, dated 15/2/91), girlfriend name crossed out and wifes new surname as next of kin.

When I first told her, she wasn't happy. Didn't like them cutting up a piece of dead me. Strange decades later she has a disease or two that mean she may one day require a new liver. Oh what a shock, she is now full of implied consent.
Forgot to say, I did also stick my name on the online register. When I told the missus over dinner at the time, Michelle sparked up that she had also done it. So plenty of wilky bits to go round.

Last edited by timwilky; 10-11-11 at 10:18 PM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 09:47 PM   #9
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
1 careless owner.
There's always someone who can find a use for your bits

Old 10-11-11, 09:49 PM   #10
timwilky
Mega Poster

Oi, I am talking about Michelle. My bits have been well looked after. What the daughter does with hers I do not want to know

Last edited by timwilky; 10-11-11 at 09:50 PM. Reason: #why does the guy on the right look like me?
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote