SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-04-05, 12:06 PM   #1
leatherpatches

Default Flat battery

Like an idiot I left my heated grips on over the weekend. Result - battery totally flat. My AA cover has run out so I can't do a home-start.

Best course of action?

(I know - wire them through the ignition etc...)
Old 18-04-05, 12:09 PM   #2
Grinch

Default Re: Flat battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherpatches
Like an idiot I left my heated grips on over the weekend. Result - battery totally flat. My AA cover has run out so I can't do a home-start.

Best course of action?

(I know - wire them through the ignition etc...)
I normally just jump start the SV off my wife Duke... its got a huge battery....
Any other bikes you can jump start off?
Old 18-04-05, 12:14 PM   #3
leatherpatches

Nice idea but unfortunately no other bikes local.
Old 18-04-05, 12:16 PM   #4
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherpatches
Nice idea but unfortunately no other bikes local.
Well I've jumped the SV off a car.. just ask around the off if anyones got any leads... just need the allen keys to get the seat off. Bumping is quick but I'm a tad worried about dropping it, unless your near a hill... though its a long push up if it don't work.
Old 18-04-05, 12:25 PM   #5
Godikus

i've jumped the bike off a car before (that sounded strange) , works fine. i've got a portable jump starter thing. to big to fit on the bike, but it comes in handy if the batterie drains over night. i'll see if i can find a link to it. only cost 12 quid so it's quite handy just incase.
Old 18-04-05, 12:37 PM   #6
Godikus

ok. here it is. it's £39.99 so i dunno how i got it for £12 but it is worth it if your as forgetful as me when it comes to leaving heated handlebar grips/ sidelights on
http://www.maplin.co.uk/noframes/37385.htm
Old 18-04-05, 01:27 PM   #7
will

it's not the cheapest way of renewing your AA cover, but if you do it now over the phone they'll come and sort the battery for you.

btw, i'm curious - what's your signature thingy all about? http://www.tpd.tno.nl/Pics/DII/gigazoom/Delft2.htm

hope you get the bike started
Old 19-04-05, 11:25 AM   #8
Clunk

If you're still in need of a charger you can borrow mine, or use my bike to jump start.

Let me know if you need a hand
Old 20-04-05, 01:56 PM   #9
leatherpatches

Thanks guys, Clunk included. Borrowed a charger from a guy at work and got enough in to start it. Now at GT being serviced and Scottoiler put on.
Old 28-04-05, 08:53 PM   #10
backroads_nh

Had it happen earlier this week. In my excitement to get the girl on the road after a long New England winter I neglected to clean the battery wires. Got a ride home and drove the cage back to work. Used the cage jumpers and hooked them to the bike battery. And charged with the cage's motor on, charging at about 14V (tested with a multi-tester).

The battery was removed from the SV, though it's probably okay to do while on the bike, if the cage's motor is off, or you don't jump-start, just charge the battery. I just didn't want to fry anything electrical, and after taking the seat off it's no trouble to just take the battery out.

While it charged (15 minutes) I used 60 grit sandpaper (had no wire brush) to clean up the connectors. Was very surprised to see how shiny they got!

After re-installing the battery (it was showing about 14V across the terminals) it started right up and continued to show 14V, so I assumed it was charging. Took the long way home to make sure I got adecent charge and it was okay the next day. Now I'm definitely gonna get a trickle charger.

QUESTION: Anyone have tips for a rolling start? I was on flat and couldn't run fast enough to kick it in first and pop the clutch... plus the compression just makes the back tire drag. Would it make sense to try it in 2nd? On a good long hill, of course.