SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-10-18, 07:48 AM   #6511
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Hope they get you sorted soon Chris. Sounds like it's getting a bit tedious hanging around waiting!
But at least you have clean pants now.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 26-10-18, 07:55 AM   #6512
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post

Gotta be better than having to turn the existing pair inside out!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-18, 07:57 AM   #6513
Seeker
Mega Poster

uh oh, just when I thought I was free and clear from the prostate scare, I receive a call from the hospital because they have spotted something "incidental" on my MRI in my colon which will require a sigmoidoscopy; a camera up my bum.

Since it's a sigmoidoscopy not a colonoscopy I will be awake and, if like America, given the opportunity to watch (err, no thanks).

Should I be worried? My Mum died of colon cancer...
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-18, 08:39 AM   #6514
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Gotta be better than having to turn the existing pair inside out!
Or throwing them at the wall and seeing if they stick

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-18, 09:09 AM   #6515
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
What tosh.
So, you run a small business churning widgets. You created this company from an idea you had at the kitchen table. You know how to churn widgets.
The day arrives when you need someone to run your website, your social media, to do your graphic design, to write your user manuals to be your finance director etc.
You can't employ them because you don't know how to do their job.
Stupid argument. You employ people BECAUSE you can't do their job.

Thanks for dissing how I got to my job. I don't know anyone who has the skills to do all the jobs I have to manage people doing. One moment it might be painting a wall (I could do that poorly), electrical installation, replacing an industrial direct fitted gas burner, installing and maintaining office air conditioning, road surfacing, marble floor laying, signage design, choosing furniture or a coffee machine, space planning or financial forecasting.

Showing an employee that you could do the job better only does the employee you don't trust them. Choose the employees for talks you can't do, recruit for your weaknesses and then show trust and care.
Except we were not discussing making widgets, we were talking about running trains and police. Of course you employ experts to run your website ( but under the supervision of someone who knows what you are selling and what your market is - otherwise you will end up with a glitzy technically brilliant website that does not do what you want - always happens when you leave a nerd unsupervised ). The ability for managers with no experience of day to day policing ( or running railways ) while simultaneously dealing with disruptive shift work and the public telling the people who are risking their lives how to behave and carry out their duties is a recipe for disaster. Every 'fast track manager' should spend at least 12 months learning the basics of the system, just like the health service - you don't get to be a senior doctor without being a junior doctor and dealing with all the **** and long hours that entails.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-18, 09:56 AM   #6516
Bibio
Mega Poster

yup far too many "Yosser Hughes" university leavers who cant get a job in their own field so they end up blagging their way in but cant do the job properly which in turn disrupts the running of a company.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-18, 10:33 AM   #6517
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

I once worked in a brand new chemical plant which was the most advance multi product plant in the western world when built. Our manifold room had steel sheet floors as the young designers not having experience of plant operators didn't realise the lads would use an electric pallet truck. So the floor quickly bowed between the support girders. The drains of course were attached to the upright steelwork. so we had a series of puddles. I convinced one young Chemical Engineer (She was with us to oversee a new product) that this was a new design philosophy to help with containment of spillages.

During the first batch of the series we were oxidising a forerunner using oxygen gas being fed into the bottom run off valve of the vessel. The reactants had been dissolved in boiling pure acetic acid. A few of us can asked about this at the hasop and hasan meetings and were told that it would not be a problem and had not caused any issues in the pilot plant (pilot plant 10 lt reaction vessel, plant 10000 Lt reaction vessel). It was night shift when it blocked up and we had a visiting PHD level chemist with us from the pilot plant, (he was very good btw but hadn't been involved with us up to that point) so during the discussions we said "thought there were no problems" he told us they disconnected their reactor turned it upside down and gave it a bit of a shake. We eventually got it clear safely (several times) and the second batch had a dip pipe fitted and it didn't happen again.

This was the first of six batches for clinical trials. We had to get 3 consecutive batches within every limit though out in order to proceed. We got batches 3,4 and 5 bang on.

Just to say, our Chemists and Chemical Engineers were the vast majority of the time very very good.

Last edited by littleoldman2; 26-10-18 at 10:35 AM.
littleoldman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-18, 12:29 PM   #6518
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post

Indeed and it's glorious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
Or throwing them at the wall and seeing if they stick

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
my heart rate just spiked somewhat upon reading that, never tried that before, might give it a go if I don't get any visitors today to keep me occupied....
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-18, 05:04 PM   #6519
shiftin_gear98

I have no gripes today as I've had the day off. Fingers or even gingers (as my auto typing just suggested) crossed for those of you that need it. Good luck.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-18, 09:00 AM   #6520
Bibio
Mega Poster

daylight saving....
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote