SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-04-06, 11:34 AM   #1
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Default Got stopped today

The Police were pulling over every single bike and scooter rider in Haymarket (london) today to check tax and registration. Initially I was a bit annoyed because I was already late for a dentist appointment, though when I thought about it, actually think this is a good idea. Especially if they throw the book at the Gilera riding chav's that terrorize my neighbourhood. I very much doubt they have a license/insurance/tax/all of the above between them. They also steal batteries/mirrors - anything that isn't welded to a bike/scooter. Have always felt my SV was safe being a bike, though last night I saw 2 15/16 year olds riding 2 up on an rs125.

Anyway back to original post - fair play to the police. If you have nothing to hide then what is 5 minutes out of your day. If it helps prevent bike crime then I'm all for it.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 11:41 AM   #2
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Only point i can see here is how many chavs are gonna be travelling into the Haymarket part of town at a time commuters are?

Most are still in bed with an empty bottle of white lightning and some really ugly bird, i'd imagine
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 11:48 AM   #3
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman
Only point i can see here is how many chavs are gonna be travelling into the Haymarket part of town at a time commuters are?

Most are still in bed with an empty bottle of white lightning and some really ugly bird, i'd imagine
What you mean they don't have jobs either!?

I mean I hope it's part of an initiative around london in general.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 11:53 AM   #4
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar
Quote:

What you mean they don't have jobs either!?

I mean I hope it's part of an initiative around london in general.
If selling small quantities of low qality drugs to their friends is a job, them most are gainfully employed i'm sure

However i do feel that the cops need to be doing this in a more targeted way. But then i guess they'd be described as discriminatory policies
So we all have to suffer to catch a few morons, but i hope it gets a few unlicensed/ uninsured off the roads.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Old 03-04-06, 11:55 AM   #5
Fizzy Fish

Quote:

hmmm - you seem to know a suspicious amount of detail about the lifestyle of these people. Anything you'd care to tell us??
Old 03-04-06, 12:07 PM   #6
Professor

Default Re: Got stopped today

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar
The Police were pulling over every single bike and scooter rider in Haymarket (london) today to check tax and registration.
They also tend to check the tyres.
Old 03-04-06, 12:07 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

It would be less discriminatory if they stopped all vehicles not just bikes.From personal experience I would be willing to put money on there being a lot more uninsured cars in London than bikes,and a lot more criminals travelling around on four wheels rather than two.
Having said that I do agree that Police on the streets is infinitely better than electronic big brother databases compiling information about how often I sneeze or fart.
Old 03-04-06, 12:30 PM   #8
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles
It would be less discriminatory if they stopped all vehicles not just bikes.From personal experience I would be willing to put money on there being a lot more uninsured cars in London than bikes,and a lot more criminals travelling around on four wheels rather than two.
Having said that I do agree that Police on the streets is infinitely better than electronic big brother databases compiling information about how often I sneeze or f*rt.
They do passes at different groups of vehicles. One day they will do cars, another day vans, another day lorries and of course, another day its bikes.

Where I work in the docklands seems to be a popular police check point. So far I've seen them do vans, lorries and cars.
Old 03-04-06, 12:44 PM   #9
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizlaSV
Quote:

hmmm - you seem to know a suspicious amount of detail about the lifestyle of these people. Anything you'd care to tell us??
Erm.... oh, eh, a friend told me about it honest.
It was like that when i got here.
I dint see a fing, guv 'onest!

etc.