SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-04-05, 06:28 PM   #1
MontrealMike

Default Just bought my first bike.....now what?!

I am now a proud new owner of a Blue SV650SK5. It is completly SOLD out here in Montreal, I have already ordered it and will be receiving it hopefully next week. What should I prepare myself with? What kind of gear should I buy (what brand...i dont mind spending a bit more for higher quality gear). Do I need Sliders or Dampers. Anything else I should know?

Thanks
-Mike
Old 22-04-05, 06:42 PM   #2
daddy_sperm

Buy the best quality clothing you can afford....

I spent over £1500 on my clothing and today I reckon it saved my life or at least my skin and limbs.(see my other post)

cheers Darryl
Old 22-04-05, 06:47 PM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Have you not ridden before?If not I suggest you get some training as a priority and get some crash bungs for the bike.I assume you are in Canada and I dont know what the License/training requirements are there.
Biker Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-05, 06:57 PM   #4
MontrealMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddy_sperm
Buy the best quality clothing you can afford....

I spent over £1500 on my clothing and today I reckon it saved my life or at least my skin and limbs.(see my other post)

cheers Darryl
I just read your last post before posting mine thats what made me question about what kind of gear to buy. Sorry to hear about the accident though but just reminds me of how important being properly equiped is. Any particular brand you can recommend me.
Old 22-04-05, 07:02 PM   #5
MontrealMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles
Have you not ridden before?If not I suggest you get some training as a priority and get some crash bungs for the bike.I assume you are in Canada and I dont know what the License/training requirements are there.
I start my courses tommorow. How it works here in Canada is that you do a theory test (which is very hard) after that you have to take mandatory courses which total 22hours. After that is complete, 1 month after that you have completed the theory test you take a closed circuit test which tests you general handling, turning, braking, emergency braking of a mortocycle. Once this is complete you can now ONLY drive besides another motorcyclist who has had his full license for about 2 years. Then 8 months after that you are eligible to take the open circuit test where once you pass that you can drive alone. I have only ridden my buddies Yamaha Offroad/On Road bike other than that no. Where would i find "crash bungs"(and what are)?
Old 22-04-05, 07:10 PM   #6
daddy_sperm

After todays "little of" I can't sing the praises of Joe rocket enough.

Speedmaster suit is 1.7mm thick leather, out of all the suits I looked at it was the thickest. Armouring is hard ABS type on shoulders knees elbows etc. With double leather and sponge inserts on certain areas.

Alpinestars were only 1.1-1.2 thick

Buy yourself a good helmet from a leading manufacturer, I wouldn't pay £40 quid for a new helmet to save a few pounds, when in my eyes my head is priceless.

Good quality gloves and boots are also essential.

My suit is the same the miguel Duhamel of AMA used last season if i remember correctly.

Also BSB team Virgin Yamaha all use them

hope this helps

Cheers Darryl
Old 22-04-05, 07:12 PM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Crash Bungs
A race can to release the V-Twin boom

See her for recent conversation on crash bungs

http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=21485

Basically crash bungs take the impact if you have an off rather than the frame or fairing of your bike..

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-05, 07:13 PM   #8
MontrealMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddy_sperm
After todays "little of" I can't sing the praises of Joe rocket enough.

Speedmaster suit is 1.7mm think leather, out of all the suits I looked at it was the thickest. Armouring is hard ABS type on shoulders knees elbows etc. With double leather

Alpinestars were only 1.1-1.2 thick

Buy yourself a good helmet from a leading manufacturer, I wouldn't pay £40 quid for a new helmet to save a few pound, when in my eyes my head is priceless.

Good quality gloves and boots are also essential.

My suit is the same the miguel Duhamel of AMA used last season if i remember correctly.

Also BSB team Virgin Yamaha all use them

Cheers Darryl
Alright so far im leaning on Joe Rocket for a 2 piece suit....what do you think of ICON for a helmet....am i really better off spending the extra 300-400$ for an ARAI or SHOEI? Are sliders important to purchase also?
Old 22-04-05, 07:24 PM   #9
daddy_sperm

by Sliders I assume u mean knee sliders.. not really important at this stage if it is your first bike. Although all leathers come with them fitted.

I use a shoei xr1000 lid kagayama replica.. Best investment ever
I managed to keep it of the ground today
Old 22-04-05, 07:37 PM   #10
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Crash bungs.Hard plastic bits that bolt on to the engine mounts to save damage in a low speed drop.Well worth it.
Dont skimp on the lid either.Mines a Shoei Intercepter and is a few years old so Im looking to replace it soon.Its worth shopping around though.
Biker Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote