SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-04-12, 09:42 PM   #1
Spikey12

Default Mod 2 tips?

Hi All,

I've got my Mod 2 next friday, (13th) and am just wandering what tips you guys have? i have been listening to my instructor, but i am interested to know what has worked for others, this is my second attempt at Mod 2, failed the last one with just one major, because i got cut up , mod 1 was easy. Really do need to pass this one, its getting expensive!

Cheers guys,

Tom
Old 04-04-12, 10:05 PM   #2
WayneL

Default Re: Mod 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey12 View Post
Hi All,

I've got my Mod 2 next friday, (13th) and am just wandering what tips you guys have? i have been listening to my instructor, but i am interested to know what has worked for others, this is my second attempt at Mod 2, failed the last one with just one major, because i got cut up , mod 1 was easy. Really do need to pass this one, its getting expensive!

Cheers guys,

Tom
My biggest tip - RELAX.

At the start of my Mod 2 I was nervous and got 3 minors within 5 minutes. After that for almost all the rest, I almost forget about the guy riding behind me and just rode how I normally do and didn't pick up any more faults.

Just keep an eye on the road ahead (and indeed behind and all around of course), and plan ahead in good time. Don't trust indicators or indeed anyone else at all.

Have you got an hour with your instructor before the test? If so then don't worry. Get all the terrible riding nerves out of the way before the test. My hour was the worst I have ever ridden, after that I passed my test.

It's all about nerves. Don't think "Oh if I fail this then it's more money down the drain" etc, just ride how you would during training.

Unlike a lot of car examiners who it's just a job for, the bike examiners are bikers themselves and presumably want to see more riders on the road, just safe riders.
Old 04-04-12, 10:09 PM   #3
Bordtea

First piece of advice would have been not book it on Friday 13th but err...
Old 04-04-12, 10:19 PM   #4
Spikey12

i've got 3 hours before the test and 2 hours on tuesday 10th, i should be fine just wanna make sure, and 13th was the only date free, but its ok, i dont buy the whole unlucky thing, cant let that stop me
Old 04-04-12, 10:30 PM   #5
WayneL

Quote:
i've got 3 hours before the test and 2 hours on tuesday 10th, i should be fine just wanna make sure, and 13th was the only date free, but its ok, i dont buy the whole unlucky thing, cant let that stop me
Well, I've just found out that Bordtea was the other rider with me this morning on my hour's practice (Small world), and he can vouch for how terrible I was.

Just relax and try not to overthink everything.

Passing first time doesn't make you any better than someone who passes their 3rd time. It's how you cope with the pressure on the day. Don't let the first Mod 2 put you off. Look at it from the point of view that you have experience in how the test will go, so you could almost say you have an edge over a first timer, as long as you don't start thinking about failing and how the last one went.

Turn the negative into a positive and just ride calmly like on a normal training ride and you'll be fine mate.

Cheers,
Wayne
Old 04-04-12, 11:01 PM   #6
Spikey12

nice one, cheers for the help, i look forward to being able to say i passed next week!
Old 04-04-12, 11:17 PM   #7
AZZ3R

Enjoy it, do you ride daily anyways? If so, treat it as you would a normal ride. Few extra shoulder checks, always right foot on rear brake at a standstill. & observe speed limits & distance between car infront.

Good luck.

My advice off my Dad: shut up & dont worry about it, your allowed to take more than 1 if you fail. Decided id spare myself hearing it again & passed.
Old 05-04-12, 03:03 AM   #8
WayneL

Quote:
nice one, cheers for the help, i look forward to being able to say i passed next week!
Good luck mate.
Old 05-04-12, 04:33 AM   #9
dazuk

take your time watch your speed mirror signal manouver make sure you move your head when checking your mirrors so examiner can see your looking.
good luck mate you can do it just try and relax.
Old 05-04-12, 09:10 AM   #10
WayneL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazuk View Post
make sure you move your head when checking your mirrors so examiner can see your looking.
good luck mate you can do it just try and relax.
I wasn't told this, but did it naturally just so he could see me doing it. I only moved my head a small amount though, so he new it was a mirror check and not a half hearted shoulder check.