SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-11-08, 06:41 PM   #1
Brettus

Default oil issues

hmm after reading the recent stories about running oil low I was a little worried about changing my oil myself for the first time but I took my time,
(its a K6 on its 11k service) followed the instructions and it was fine. I've been checking for drips or anything that I've not tightened up properly, admittedly I haven't been checking the level as rigorously as I should but it was fine for 2-3 days after I changed it.

Today 3-4 weeks after, I started my bike to take a trip from work, got 50 yds to the traffic lights off site and it died with the oil light on, I pushed it back to the bike shed and called my wife who graciously came and rescued my stupid ass, I topped the oil up and everything seemed fine. took it steady on the way home and nothing seemed out of the ordinary, is there anything I should check for or do?

any idea what could cause it to lose that much oil without dripping it everywhere? it hasn't been burning it that I've noticed, surely that much gone would result in some serious blue smoke?
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-08, 06:54 PM   #2
Dangerous Dave

Default Re: oil issues

Did you check the oil with the bike up right and after the engine had ran for a little?

How much oil was needed to fill her up?

If there are no signs of a leak and no blue smoke I would guess you underfilled it the first time around.

Last edited by Dangerous Dave; 24-11-08 at 07:00 PM.
Old 24-11-08, 07:01 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

You say it died with the oil light on? Was oil light on when it was running or did it just come on as the motor stopped?
Old 24-11-08, 07:11 PM   #4
Brettus

Came on as it stopped as far as I can remember.
the bike was on a paddock stand when I filled it, I ran it and then topped it up to the line (or thought I had) maybe I did just screw up, but why so long to show up?

Weirdness, least topping up seems to have sorted it. I'd guess 100-200ml to top it up.
Old 24-11-08, 07:23 PM   #5
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettus View Post
the bike was on a paddock stand when I filled it
Ah... there is your problem. When the bike is on a rear paddock stand it jacks the back up, this pushes the oil to the forward as the nose is lower than normal and gives a false reading.

The bike was most likely under filled, always check the oil level with the bike upright on a level surface and with both wheels on the ground.
Old 24-11-08, 07:33 PM   #6
Brettus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Ah... there is your problem. When the bike is on a rear paddock stand it jacks the back up, this pushes the oil to the forward as the nose is lower than normal and gives a false reading.
Damn good point there! stands to reason once you think about it, and I suspect every time I've checked it its been whilst I've had it up on the stand again doh!

Thanks for that, would explain the underfilling, still not sure what set it off today, ah well, looks like no harm has been done and a vital lesson has been learned (now) thanks for the advice guys
Old 24-11-08, 07:43 PM   #7
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
still not sure what set it off today
May just have been a coincidence, just double check that you get no fault codes on the dash when you start her up for the next few days.

Enjoy the ride....
Old 24-11-08, 07:47 PM   #8
Sean_C

This reminds me, I need to wire up an LED for oil pressure, though it'd too late once that's on usually.

I put a couple of blocks of wood under the sidestand to check mine when I get in after a run, every time. It's easy to hold the bike and check the spy glass myself that way. Be careful if you do it that way though, don't pull the bike too far towards you
Old 24-11-08, 07:54 PM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Came on as it stopped as far as I can remember.
Well then something else caused the motor to stop. The oil light does come on when the engine stops, as an oil pump which isn't turning creates no pressure.
Old 24-11-08, 08:39 PM   #10
zadar

Quote:
Damn good point there! stands to reason once you think about it, and I suspect every time I've checked it its been whilst I've had it up on the stand again doh!

Thanks for that, would explain the underfilling, still not sure what set it off today, ah well, looks like no harm has been done and a vital lesson has been learned (now) thanks for the advice guys
I always do my on stand.
fill it up without stand and than put bike on stand and see where level is and use it in future.
on stand my is close to very top of window.