SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-02-14, 10:49 AM   #1
Randomdude

Thumbs up Indicator not working (Right indicator)

Hello all

Got an SV650S 2004

I have checked other forums and could not find a situation like mine.

So my left indicators are not working...

When I switch on the Hazard lights, all four indicators flash.

So it is not the lamp etc.

Right hand works with no problems, left does not work at all. Nor front or back.

It randomly started working for a bit (few minutes) but it stopped again.

Would I need to replace the indicator switch?

Any help is appreciated

Thank you
Old 17-02-14, 11:11 AM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Indicator not working (Right indicator)

Could you clarify which side isn't working properly? The title says right side not working, but your post says left.

However if the either side works OK, then the problem is from the switch onward, seeing as neither front nor rear work then the fault is in the common parts of the circuit, which are the switch itself or the wiring and connector from switch into the loom, green for right side, black for left.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-14, 01:33 PM   #3
mep

I have had problems on & off with my indicators. First the left side was down but right ok, then the other way round, all time it was an intermitant fault. As Sid says the problem is from the switch. You will need to check all connections and earths thoroughly. My problems were both earths and played up in the rain, but in the end I had to replace all indicators as they were mini ones that were past their sell by date.
mep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-14, 05:34 PM   #4
Randomdude

Thank you people!

Correction: I meant to say the Left Hand Side indicator is not working!!!
I'm a newbie... so where are these connections and how do I get to them?

Thanks guys for all your help!
Old 17-02-14, 05:38 PM   #5
Randomdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Could you clarify which side isn't working properly? The title says right side not working, but your post says left.

However if the either side works OK, then the problem is from the switch onward, seeing as neither front nor rear work then the fault is in the common parts of the circuit, which are the switch itself or the wiring and connector from switch into the loom, green for right side, black for left.
Sorry meant to say Left
The thing is, Hazard light works, on all lights... the left side lights up too when hazard is on (I mean flashes..)

But at the moment the left side (Both front and rear) are not indicating when indicating left...

Where is this common connection thing? I am super new to this..
Thanks
Old 17-02-14, 06:45 PM   #6
ChrisCurvyS

I don't know if it's the same on a pointy but I had pretty much an identical problem on my curvy (no hazards but the indicators flashed for the alarm).

It turned out to be a frayed wire in the loom behind the left hand side front fairing panel so might be worth checking that first, as it's easy to get to.
ChrisCurvyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-14, 02:19 PM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
the left side lights up too when hazard is on
It would.
Quote:
But at the moment the left side (Both front and rear) are not indicating when indicating left
Indeed.
Quote:
Where is this common connection thing? I am super new to this.
There is no 'common connection', I referred to the common parts of the circuit, that is the parts that are shared by both the left and the right indicators, clearly the fault is not with them - if it were then neither side would work. That only one side is faulty clearly tells us that the fault lies in the parts of the circuit that are uniquely employed on that side, which are fortunately few in number, and as you have confirmed it is the left side that is faulty the possible areas of failure are:

1) The indicator switch.
2) The black wire from the switch, (and the connectors on that wire), that lead into the loom.

When the wire enters the loom it branches into two, one branch leading to the front, and one to the rear indicator, clearly the failure is before the branch, if there were a failure after the branch then either the front or rear indicator would not work, but not both.

The hazard wiring is connected to the wire that leads from front to rear indicators at a different point in the circuit - further confirming that the fault is where suspected.

Check the switch first - simply it's the easiest bit to get to.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-14, 01:35 PM   #8
mep

When both my left side indicators stopped working I traced it to the loom connecting block on the left hand side under the tank (I have a old Curvy). The connections for the black wire in the block were bad and I had to solder on a piece of wire and bypass the connecting block. Having a mulitimeter to check continuity is handy.
mep is offline   Reply With Quote