SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-06-07, 01:49 PM   #1
ClemsonSV

Default Record Mileage For me!

I filled up last night and could not believe my eyes! I got 53.5 mpg on my last tank...my gas light didn't come on until about 175 miles! I would like to contribute this to the K&N filter I put in half way through my last tank, but I can't back that up. Anybody esle getting results like these and still putting the power down? My daily commute is about 30mi / 48km round trip a few stop lights, but for the most part averaging 55-65 mph / 88-105km/h. Just thought I'd share my excitement as I sit in my cube on a sunny and clear Monday morning...5 miles from the mountains and wishing I was carving them up.
Old 25-06-07, 03:02 PM   #2
wyntrblue

Default Re: Record Mileage For me!

im jelous i would love to have a view of mountains from my "cube" but all i have is a whiteboard to look at all day
Old 25-06-07, 03:31 PM   #3
Baph

I see similar milage, but not consistently. It more depends on air temperature/humidity for me.

I vary from 170miles to the tank, down as low as 130 ish, without really changing the riding style much (though lower tank ranges generally come with higher revving).
Old 25-06-07, 03:41 PM   #4
Well Oiled

I presume thats miles per US gal? They are 20% smaller than UK ones (as are US pints ) so that makes about 64mpg in English money.

MPG from one tank is very inaccurate - see what it averages over half a dozen tanks of fuel. If it was due to the filter change then the element of the old one must have been well clogged.
Old 25-06-07, 04:24 PM   #5
suzsv650

did u set up your carbs for the air filter?

your probably running lean so you got too much air and not enough fuel which could suggest y you are getting so many miles ???
Old 25-06-07, 04:37 PM   #6
ClemsonSV

From what I can tell, the bike was jetted when I got it. I am the third owner and the first was the one that did all the work to it. The second owner was a moron and sold the bike because it was bogging down over 7k rpm. I bought it and took out the old crappy airfilter and put in the K&N. From the info I got the first owner kept his K&N...stingy *******...and put the old dirty one back in. Now that I have the new airfilter in, I have no problems going right up to 10k rpm.

And Yes, US gal...I have averaged 47 mile/US gal since I purchase it.
Old 25-06-07, 04:40 PM   #7
suzsv650

just hope it is jetted then and your not running lean cus she might go pop!

anyhows that impressive mileage...

oh and chuck the crudy K&N n get a BNC RS filter they is better...
Old 25-06-07, 05:53 PM   #8
ClemsonSV

If I am running a bit lean and you say it will pop if it is, when would I hear a pop? I sometimes hear an occasional pop when engine breaking (usually lower rpm's) or between gears, but never when idling or accelerating.
Old 26-06-07, 08:38 AM   #9
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsv650 View Post
did u set up your carbs for the air filter?

your probably running lean so you got too much air and not enough fuel which could suggest y you are getting so many miles ???
I'm running a little lean (I think) too, but I can't adjust my carbs. My bike doesn't have them

Popping/banging is more to do with an air leak in the exhaust than the air/fuel mix in the cylinders!! But I think that suzsv650 meant that the engine could be damaged if running too lean.
Old 26-06-07, 05:21 PM   #10
suzsv650

that is indeed what i meant baph!!