SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 13-05-09, 11:07 PM   #1
James SV

Default Pilot power vs pilot road

Hi there, im going to be purchasing some new tyres for my 650s within the next few days. I have heard very good things about the michelin Pilots, but want to know what you guys think about them.

Im looking for a grippy tyre that will hold extreme angles but at the same time be good in the wet, and last reasonably well.

So what do you guys think would be best for me out of the pilot road/pilot power 2CT or non - 2CT

Any other tyres to reccomend?

Please discuss and advise

Many thanks,

James
Old 13-05-09, 11:15 PM   #2
Jamiebridges123

Default Re: Pilot power vs pilot road

Pilot Power is fine and from what I see rather cheap.

Pilot Power 2ct is bloody expensive, exactly the same as the normal one but it has the compound from the Pilot Race on the shoulders and the same compound as the Pilot Power in the center.

The Pilot Road 1 looks horrible, avoid at all costs! The Pilot Road 2ct doesn't cost much less than the Power2ct but has an awesome tread design, the centre compound is the same as the Pilot Road 1 but the shoulders are the same compound as the Pilot Power 1's.

Got it?
Old 13-05-09, 11:16 PM   #3
James SV

Ok thanks, what sort of milage can i expect on each of these?
Old 13-05-09, 11:17 PM   #4
ThEGr33k

Either Pilot power or Pilot Road 2's imo. They are both great. A PR2 is more expensive but will last longer as its got a harder centre... Pilot Power give great feel in wet and dry and warm up quick.

As Jamie said already really.

Dont go near Pilot Road (single compound... not so great!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by James SV View Post
Ok thanks, what sort of milage can i expect on each of these?
Pilot Road 2's about 10K for a rear, 14K front. Pilot power about 7-8K rear, 9-10K front.
Old 13-05-09, 11:18 PM   #5
Jamiebridges123

My Dad has a Pilot Road fitted as standard on his Tiger 1050. IIRC he got about 6-7k out of the rear (can't remember) and the front has a puncture and was replaced at the same time with the Pilot Road 2ct.

Doesn't look worn at all and they've done about 3k or something on them.

As for Pilot Powers, expect 3500 a set or so as a rough figure (for a big heavy sportsbike). On an SV perhaps double it..
Old 13-05-09, 11:24 PM   #6
James SV

Hmm, so if i was to go with pilot power, is it really worth paying more to get the "2CT" or would the standard power grip well enough at the edges ?
So on an sv650s, i should see more than 4-5k ish on a rear? with moderate - aggressive riding?
Old 13-05-09, 11:25 PM   #7
Jamiebridges123

If you're a "moderate to aggressive" rider, get the 2ct's as you'll most likely want the extra grip. Be warned though they will not last as long and will take longer to warm up than the PP1s.

If you wear the tyre evenly you should see that mileage.
Old 14-05-09, 12:33 AM   #8
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiebridges123 View Post
If you're a "moderate to aggressive" rider, get the 2ct's as you'll most likely want the extra grip. Be warned though they will not last as long and will take longer to warm up than the PP1s.

If you wear the tyre evenly you should see that mileage.

Id say Pilot Power... 2ct are really for the track. Road riding its 100% over kill. Besides the SV's tyre's are pinched so you cant use the very edges and on the Pilot power 2ct and that's where the sticky stuff is (last 10% of tyre), not like the Pilot Road 2's which is about 40% each side...

IMO the Pilot power is the best bang for buck. Think about £180 fitted vs about £240 now for PR2's

Ask about though.
Old 14-05-09, 12:49 AM   #9
Jamiebridges123

Yeah I noticed that about the tyres being pinched.. had my knee down and I still have 1/2 inch chicken strips.. *angry*.

I'd personally still go for the PR2, or a PP1 front and a PR2 rear as you'll actually have matching compounds when cranked over, since the PP1 is the same compound as the PR2 shoulders. You'll also have better front end grip all the time, mixed in with the durability of the rear. You'll also have the two single best tread patterns on the market. Kudos down at the pub.

(If you're worried about grip that much get a 120/70 front tyre which should be a little cheaper than a /60, and drop the bike 11mm through the forks to get a larger footprint when cranked over, but that's for another thread)
Old 14-05-09, 08:06 AM   #10
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiebridges123 View Post
Yeah I noticed that about the tyres being pinched.. had my knee down and I still have 1/2 inch chicken strips.. *angry*.

I'd personally still go for the PR2, or a PP1 front and a PR2 rear as you'll actually have matching compounds when cranked over, since the PP1 is the same compound as the PR2 shoulders. You'll also have better front end grip all the time, mixed in with the durability of the rear. You'll also have the two single best tread patterns on the market. Kudos down at the pub.
I never had my knee down (never had leathers and knee pucks) but got peg down on a few occations and was same with the chicken strip. Really a 150 might be better if anyone does one...

I had a PR2 rear and PP front and that worked great.

As for trad pattern I think my new Roadsmart is better and worse, I think the PR2 is better for centre but the roadsmart for edge grip as its slick ont he edge, great for big lean in the dry and you wont get that far in the wet...