SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-03-06, 09:24 AM   #1
Stingo

Default Gearbox problems...A result?

In January of this year, after having had my SV serviced, she developed a problem with third gear – it vanished! A bit like selecting neutral but without the light. Anyway, I took the machine to the dealer from whence she came who said that there could be grounds for Suzuki to make a ‘good will’ payment, given the bike’s history.

Purchased in back end of June 03. Mostly used for commuting – 14 miles a day, more in the summer when taking the scenic route – never been on a racetrack. Serviced regularly as you do, especially when you’ve had it from new.

Well, two weeks later Suzuki told the workshop that no decision could be made until the defect had been investigated further. Okay, fair enough. Engine was removed and sat on a bench for three weeks. I stamped my feet, and it was stripped down to get to the inner workings of the gearbox where it was discovered that third gear had snapped into 4 bits. Hmm, right then, that’s defo knackered. Suzuki were informed and they said “Nah, not paying anything, it’s the age you see”.

I called them myself – the nice chap was unable to give me any more info – at all – not a sausage. I went to the workshop who said that all in all the job was going to cost about a grand!! Christ on a bike!!! Blimey!! %$*&&!!.

Upon telling the missus, her head gasket blew!! Fair enough I thought, mines a bit ropey right now. I called Suzuki again who said they would get back to me. A different person did indeed call me back. She was unable to expand on the decision or indeed justify the ‘age’ thing. She also informed me that it was not possible to speak to the customer services manager or the person who made the decision.. So that was that.

I have told the workshop to wait before doing anything else – and have written a letter to ask them to justify ‘age’, and also to reconsider their decision.

Naturally, I am currently quite miffed as is the missus. I’ll update the thread as and when…

Always open to suggestions…no matter how daft!!

Keep smiling!
Old 08-03-06, 09:30 AM   #2
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Citizens Advice Bureau.

Motorcycling magazines.

Sythree

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-06, 09:42 AM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

Just as a matter of interest, what sort of mileage are you talking about ?

that's not good,just keep on at them.

If however you don't get any joy, you can get a decent second hand K3 lump for £500, and fitting takes about an hour or so (or should do) but if not experienced then perhaps a day.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-06, 09:56 AM   #4
petevtwin650

Problem is the dealer will still want paying for the work they've done. Maybe 320 quid. And of course they won't let the bike go until then. Surely got to be a manufacturing fault.

Try the motorcycle press.
Old 08-03-06, 10:12 AM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I think the press too.First you need a reason the part failed and the "age" thing won't wash unless Suzuki wish to accept that their gearboxes lunch themselves at two and a bit years.Then you need say Ride to contact Suzuki and ask some pointed questions.Probability is Suzuki will then make a "goodwill"gesture and pay for all or a big part of it.From their point of view it must be worth it to avoid bad publicity.
Old 08-03-06, 10:34 AM   #6
Stingo

She's done just under eleven thousand miles - mostly easy commuter stuff - two long journeys Devon to west Herts - should be more than man enough is my opinion. Serviced iaw the book.

Yep - appreciate the dealer will still want their share - it just seems strange that Suzuki 'appear' to wash their hands of 'parts' after 30 months and no real thrashing or abuse. It's also frustrating that their customer services seem unable or reluctant to reveal how they reach the decisions that they do - you can't get past the management/customer interface (probably because they need a flak jacket type system - just being slightly cynical!).
Old 08-03-06, 10:49 AM   #7
Cloggsy

Sounds a bit like my dealer/manufacturer - Once they've got your money, they don't give a crap about you Saying that, your K3 will now be out of warranty, so Suzuki will probably tell you to 'poke off'
Old 08-03-06, 10:57 AM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Condition of the rest of the box would be interesting too- if third's in bits and the rest are mint then it's blatantly a manufacturing fault. If they're all dinged up, then they could try and point the finger at you for abuse.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-06, 11:05 AM   #9
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloggsy
your K3 will now be out of warranty, so Suzuki will probably tell you to 'poke off'
be interesting to get them to admit the bikes only built to last 30 months

Wonder if they'll include that in the advertising

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-06, 08:41 PM   #10
Stingo

Well, I've had time to consider some options - I have sent an email to Bike magazine (didn't have the address for RiDE)moutlining what I've said above. Tomorrow, I'm going to visit the workshop and ask if I can take photos of the damage just 'for the record' so to speak. I've decided to just let them deal with the repair, because it's got to be done, and my shed is chokka with 'stuff' (garage denied!). I just need them to firm up on the estimate a bit - they're already charging high odds at the mo anyway - then I'll too them the 20% voucher for parts and see if that wipes the smirk from they're faces!! Not that they're horrible people or anything - it's just that they want all my money!!

Ooh - and thanks for your comments by the way. I expect Suzuki will take ages to reply to my letter - in the mean time I just want my bike back