SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-10-18, 11:27 PM   #51
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Topyokes conversion

the slack in the throttle (cables) dictates when the throttle cam is rotated. when you take up the slack by twisting the throttle its at the biting point (no more slack) is when you start to turn the actual throttle cam which then dictates the position of the sensor in relation to the throttle position. if there is too much cable slack then you need to turn the throttle more from throttle stop on the grip/housing before the throttle takes effect. this can cause the rider difficulty in finding the on/off which in turn can cause a snatchy throttle.

to adjust the throttle you need the bars at "full stretch lock" then tighten the pull cable so there is just a tiny little bit of slack so as to not raise the revs going from full lock to full lock. once thats done you can adjust the close cable so that it works in tandem with the pull, e.g. no slack feeling between the two and the throttle snaps back to off when let go.

the TPS only comes into play after the throttle slack is taken up so should not need adjusted after adjusting the cable slack.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-18, 04:56 PM   #52
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Another test ride again today and felt a bit smoother but still not quite right. It still seems a bit too on/off even at higher revs (around 5k). Definitely smoother at lower revs though. I've adjusted it down from the 2k rpm to about 1600 this evening, so will test again tomorrow.

Only downside I can feel is I can't be as lazy with my gear changes. It's more sensitive to being in the right gear and needs shifting up sooner than it did before.

Possibly needs the throttle body synchronising looking at? It's only done just under 13k miles? I'm still wondering if the push throttle cable being slightly too tight would have this effect too? I can't adjust any more slack into it up top with the adjuster, so I'd have to back it off at the throttle body if I do anything. Worth me trying to back it off and readjust?
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-18, 12:19 AM   #53
Flybuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I think Maviczap said he opted for the Gilles Variobars instead of the Topyokes conversion so that he had the adjustability to not have the bars clash with the fairing on the curvy.
There was a Gilles kit available on eBay a few weeks back..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gilles-Va...rdt=true&rt=nc

Yeah, I've looked at them as well. Probably my best bet.
Flybuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-18, 06:47 PM   #54
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

First proper ride out for a few hours today. 100+ miles and wow, what a difference! I could have kept riding all day. The bars are much better, much lighter in feel and now so glad I did the conversion. I wish I'd done it sooner and had more comfort in the last couple of years. I've been thinking of doing it and putting it off since I got the bike. There are moments where I miss the clip ons when speeds are higher on gently curving roads, but I'm sure if I had them back I'd be cursing them.

TPS adjustment down to 1600rpm (or immediatley as the throttle starts as suggested by Bibio) feels much better too. The engine definitely feels a bit revvier and benefits from keeping the revs up and being confident and defnite with the throttle too for a bit more smoothness. I think I've always had a habit of keeping revs too low. Slightly less engine braking than before but I've adjusted to that pretty quickly. Will be interested to see if my mpg changes as I've always got approx 60 to 65mpg in the last couple of years. The way it's revving feels like I'll be burning more fuel.

The moments of jerkiness today can be put down to realising how many of the roads are in such bad shape near us now, not helped by the stock suspension (next on the list to sort out) and all the bumps knocking me about making me nudge the throttle occaisionally... and also my moments of ineptitude : )

For anyone who is thinking of doing the conversion I'd definitely say just do it. Very pleased.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote