SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-01-17, 09:56 AM   #1
Blapper

Exclamation Front brake caliper overhaul...

So after I did the front fork oil change on the SV, I though 'while I have the front up, I suppose I could service the front calipers'. I've seen it written on this forum about yearly overhauls and thought 'nah, that's ott innit - I don't do enough miles, rarely get wet and never salty' and they seem to work just fine. Bike's only done 8500 miles. But on the other hand, I haven't done them yet, the bike is 15 years old and the previous owner didn't say he had serviced them...

Wow! I found one seized piston, a whole tube of copper grease had been used and the calipers were full of jelly - looked a right mess. I suppose I should have done it when I changed the brake lines.

So new piston and a set of seals ordered, brake fluid and RRG in stock, will be interesting to see if they feel different when reassembled.

The moral of this story is: This forum is great for advice - take it!
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 10:20 AM   #2
sl0th86

Default Re: Front brake caliper overhaul...

Whoaa! Yeah i had a look at mine to try to get rid of that squeaking but mine seem ok phew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-17, 11:23 AM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The only place copper grease should be used is on rear of pads - even then proper Molybdenum grease is better, proper silicone brake grease should be used on gaiters , slide pins and seals, normal greases made from hydrocarbon base will cause seals to expand and will damage them.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 12:20 PM   #4
tom_e

Silicone grease isn't great when used in a metal on metal situation such as the slide pins, I'd pack them with RRG.
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 01:46 PM   #5
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_e View Post
Silicone grease isn't great when used in a metal on metal situation such as the slide pins, I'd pack them with RRG.

Red rubber grease is for rubber to rubber and rubber to metal, not metal to metal, it is just a non-petroleum (vegetable and silicone) base grease , not really a good metal lubricant - when I ordered new slide pins for my car brakes they came with a sachet of white silicone brake grease. If you want to really get it right use a ceramic or molybdenum loaded PTFE grease on slide pins, but I have used TRW silicone white brake grease on cars and bikes for years and never had a problem.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 02:43 PM   #6
Blapper

This looks like a decent deal that covers all bases:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Castrol-Re...oAAOSwL0NXENbH
Old 04-01-17, 06:14 PM   #7
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blapper View Post
So new piston and a set of seals ordered, brake fluid and RRG in stock, will be interesting to see if they feel different when reassembled.
How much is a rebuild kit (seals & piston), out of interest please?
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 07:49 PM   #8
nutzboutbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_e View Post
Silicone grease is fine to use in a metal to metal situation except when a high melting point grease is needed, not sure were you got that information from buts its wrong.
Old 04-01-17, 07:59 PM   #9
nutzboutbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Red rubber grease is for rubber to rubber and rubber to metal, not metal to metal, it is just a non-petroleum (vegetable and silicone) base grease , not really a good metal lubricant - when I ordered new slide pins for my car brakes they came with a sachet of white silicone brake grease. If you want to really get it right use a ceramic or molybdenum loaded PTFE grease on slide pins, but I have used TRW silicone white brake grease on cars and bikes for years and never had a problem.

I to use silicone grease on the slide pins/bolts & on the caliper seals when fitting them no problems here either.
Old 04-01-17, 08:56 PM   #10
Blapper

@Craig380 - £46 for a stainless steel piston and four sets of seals. From now on the cost will just be grease and brake fluid as the calipers will not be getting in such a state.

What about Lithium Grease chaps? Is that petroleum derivative based?

Last edited by Blapper; 04-01-17 at 08:58 PM.