SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-05-18, 06:42 PM   #1
DryRob

Default Checking charge voltage

My battery's on the way out and wanted to check for bigger problems before I stump up for a new one.

I know it's a long shot but is there any way of checking the charge voltage on a pointy without removing the seat?

I need to bump mine off at the min and could do without giving the neighbours a laugh if/when something goes wrong when I jump on the loose seat.
DryRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-18, 07:29 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Checking charge voltage

No, you'll need to do several tests to see if the RR is on the way out.

Check the fault finding how to in Geodude's signature
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-18, 07:47 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

its very very rare that the pointy RR gives up, what can happen is that the connectors from main loom to RR fur up and need cleaned as they are those naff water proof (also keep water in) type connectors.

you cant check a charging system with a fubar battery so you need a good battery.

how old is that battery?

why dont you want to take the seat off? it only takes two mins. your going to have to take it off at some point.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 06:09 AM   #4
DryRob

I'm being lazy to be honest and seem to remember someone telling me you can measure the voltage from the alternator, suppose he could have being having me on.

The battery's 9 years old so it's probably just had enough and been killed off by the last winter.
Old 03-05-18, 07:25 AM   #5
DryRob

Would it be worth buying a charger to see if i can save it?
I'll probably need one over the next few years anyhow, the bike's more for fun than transportation these days
Old 03-05-18, 08:22 AM   #6
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

The only way to be sure about the battery is to take it to a place that has a ,"Load Test" battery tester,or it used to be.

However if you are looking for a decent maintenance charger I use an Oxford 601 which also has a dead battery check function.Around £30.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/mot...d-oximiser-601

https://tinyurl.com/ya2jecy9

The only weakness with the type of charger is the cable over time can wear through flexing at the box junction but I've cured that with a Tie-Wrap,

PS
I've used this charger to charge a flat Car battery but because it's only low output(600 mA) and a,"Step" charger it took three days

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 03-05-18 at 08:33 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 08:37 AM   #7
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryRob View Post
Would it be worth buying a charger to see if i can save it?
I'll probably need one over the next few years anyhow, the bike's more for fun than transportation these days

Saving a 9 year old battery is not a good idea, they don't normally last 5 unless they are very well looked after. Cut your losses and get a decent battery now, and remember the sour taste of bad quality remains long after the sweet taste of low price. Buy cheap and you buy twice.

When you get the new battery write the date you bought it on the case somewhere (even if you have to stick a label on to write on), it helps in the future as our memories are never as good as we think they are.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 03-05-18 at 08:40 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 12:56 PM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

as others have said. 9years out a battery, well done but its now fubar. there is no recovering it as the internal plates will have warped etc.etc.

buy a new battery.

dont be tempted to charge a new battery. put the acid pack in and leave the battery for a good 12hrs before fitting it to the bike. after that the bike will keep it charged every time you take the bike out for a ride.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 03:24 PM   #9
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
dont be tempted to charge a new battery. put the acid pack in and leave the battery for a good 12hrs before fitting it to the bike. after that the bike will keep it charged every time you take the bike out for a ride.
I got a new Yuasa over the Christmas holiday, and the instructions in the pack specifically stated to add the acid pack, leave it for 90 mins to 2 hours to 'settle', then to charge the battery for 8 hours or so at the stated charging rate before fitting.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 05:27 PM   #10
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
I got a new Yuasa over the Christmas holiday, and the instructions in the pack specifically stated to add the acid pack, leave it for 90 mins to 2 hours to 'settle', then to charge the battery for 8 hours or so at the stated charging rate before fitting.

I have tried that with Yuasa batteries after adding acid and leaving to settle and got a green 'charged' light on my charger after less than 10 minutes. The battery started the bike absolutely no problem as well.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote