SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-05-09, 06:49 PM   #1
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Daytime MOT - Police view

Does anyone know for CERTAIN how the police view bikes with no lights at all?

I got stopped tonight and they said they were not sure whether it was legal or not. I told them about the mot and how I am not to use the bike at "times of seriously reduced visibility" - as it says on the mot advisory note.

They said something about how all bikes manufactured after 1989ish must have lights on them. And they thought I should at least have a brake light. I said that if I had a brake light, then I would also need to have all the other lights to pass the mot.

They are going to check it out and let me know. In the mean time I have to hand in my mot certificate and advisory note

Has this happened to anyone else?
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 06:53 PM   #2
Lozzo

Default Re: Daytime MOT - Police view

I have had words with a bobby in a panda car about the lack of lights on my CBR - I told him to call up traffic and ask them if he didn't believe it could be ridden legally like that and he wouldn't. In the end I actually called my MOT man up on my own phone and had him talk to the copper to explain the law.

There's no way I'd give up my MOT certificate and advisory. If they want to make copies then fair play, but it belongs to me and they have no right to take it from me for any trumped up reason. Get a decent lawyer if they start to push things down the prosecution route, and make them look stupid in court if it comes to it.
Old 12-05-09, 06:55 PM   #3
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
I have had words with a bobby in a panda car about the lack of lights on my CBR - I told him to call up traffic and ask them if he didn't believe it could be ridden legally like that and he wouldn't. In the end I actually called my MOT man up on my own phone and had him talk to the copper to explain the law.

There's no way I'd give up my MOT certificate and advisory. If they want to make copies then fair play, but it belongs to me and they have no right to take it from me for any trumped up reason. Get a decent lawyer if they start to push things down the prosecution route, and make them look stupid in court if it comes to it.
They said they were going to check it out with my mot place. So did they admit that it was legal?
Old 12-05-09, 06:57 PM   #4
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Found this on Visordown for you, from this thread: http://www.visordown.com/forum/forum...UTN=175733&V=2

im an mot tester and your bike has to have ALL the lights or NONE of the lights, and it doesnt need a horn or mirrors either for a daylight mot. but it does need a full size number plate, helps keep the feds at bay. ive got a daylight use only r6 and ive never been pulled even in wales!!!

Weather or not you wanna believe this guy or anything you find on Visordown is up to you of course.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 07:00 PM   #5
timwilky
Mega Poster

My understanding is you should not have a brake light for a daytime MOT
Old 12-05-09, 07:01 PM   #6
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Found this on Visordown for you, from this thread: http://www.visordown.com/forum/forum...UTN=175733&V=2

im an mot tester and your bike has to have ALL the lights or NONE of the lights, and it doesnt need a horn or mirrors either for a daylight mot. but it does need a full size number plate, helps keep the feds at bay. ive got a daylight use only r6 and ive never been pulled even in wales!!!

Weather or not you wanna believe this guy or anything you find on Visordown is up to you of course.
My mot tester said I needed a horn and a reflector only
Old 12-05-09, 07:06 PM   #7
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Mate i know nothing,

Just found that thread and within the first few posts they were contradicting each other so i thought it might be interesting for you.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 07:11 PM   #8
G
Mega Poster

I knew day time MOT's existed, but I find it amazing that you dont need at least a brake light, even for your own safety.
Old 12-05-09, 07:12 PM   #9
pmapp
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
My mot tester said I needed a horn and a reflector only

I know this was the case a few years ago - and I can't see it having changed between then and now.

If at first you don't succeed - use more gaffa tape.
pmapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 07:13 PM   #10
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

PM Bluepete he's a traffic officer, he's probably the best person to ask.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote