SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-12-09, 02:44 PM   #1
7755matt

Default Front brakes, strip + rebuild, replace or upgrade?

Ive just given the old girl a good clean and check over after my head shaking thread. Only issue I can find is the front brakes are sticky.

So, calipers off, pads out and a good look. The pistons look like they aren't cleanable, the corrosion on them is pretty fierce. Seals are split so need seal kits and the pads want replacing.

Ive had a look on Wemoto, and priced up pistons and seals - my idea is that to replace the pistons with stainless now means not having to do them for ages after.

I reckon that to replace all the pistons, seals, bleed nipples and banjos (do it all at once) will cost about £150 including pads. SV SPares sell used calipers (they say the pistons have been checked for correct operation) for £50 each.

Couple of questions then

1) Should I repair the old calipers, at the moment one will need the slides sorting as it doesnt, replace the pistons and other bits with stainless versions

2)Dont bother with the old, get 'new' replacements from sv spares or ebay and hope that the pistons/seals are ok

3) Replace the lot with some upgrades from ebay (and again hope they're serviceable) in which case are there any good options that will bolt straight on or will adapter plates etc be needed

4) While we're on the subject of brakes what pads are recommended, wemoto have 4 versions
Pads Front Left EBC Sintered (HH Type) £ 27.32
Pads Front Left EBC Standard (GG Type) £ 19.49
Pads Front Left Goldfren (HH Type) £ 17.12
Pads Front Left Kyoto Standard (GG Type) £ 8.99

What are the differences? And do they really justify 3 times the price difference

Looks like Santa will be getting an emergency request to swap my christmas list

Any other jobs that could be done at the same time? I was tempted to get some taper head race bearings and do them all at the same time, maybe even change the fork oil, possibly springs? Need some things to fill the time over christmas

Last edited by 7755matt; 19-12-09 at 02:46 PM.
7755matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-09, 03:22 PM   #2
speedplay

Default Re: Front brakes, strip + rebuild, replace or upgrade?

What about asking if you can "part ex" your calipers in for some serviced replacements?
Old 19-12-09, 03:28 PM   #3
sz1

i would just do me own up at least then you know there right them pairs of pads you have listed are actually only 2 i.r 2 sets og gg and 2 sets of sintered just diferent brands.go hh or sintered.
Old 19-12-09, 03:37 PM   #4
ridelikeaturtle

I rebuilt the calipers on my curvy when I replaced the front rotors, and IIRC it was pretty expensive for the piston and seal kit for one caliper.

When the front left started leaking again a couple years later, from the piston seal, I just replaced the whole thing w/a secondhand one. It cost less than the piston and seal kit and I didn't have to rebuild anything.

If I was to do it again I'd just get secondhand calipers from a breakers, purely from a convenience standpoint. If I had a pristine example or wanted them to be polished, etc., then I'd rebuild them.

And I always go w/green, cheap brake pads (Armstrong I think, £25 for a full set?) - I don't push the brakes so hard they'd fade, I mostly use engine-braking, and the softer the pad the less wear on the rotors. I'm sure many would disagree w/this and want to go EBC sintered... but so far in "normal" conditions and use, I've had no problems. YMMV.
Old 19-12-09, 03:44 PM   #5
sz1

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/.../FRONT_CALIPER

http://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/sh...rts/index.html

pads are expensive from here but you could get those some where else i would consider getting braided lines while your on.
Old 19-12-09, 07:18 PM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

take apart and see, maybe they'll be fine.
Old 20-12-09, 08:22 AM   #7
SVXR650

If you need stock calipers I have a set of 2006 SV650 calipers... You can have both for £40.00 + shipping

There are adapter plates for SV1000 4 piston calipers... This will give you a lot more braking power and you are not required to upgrade master cylinder...

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=128750

If you want to upgrade master cylinder, I also have a 2006 GSXR1000 master cylinder... You can have it for £50.00 + Shipping.

I also have a set of rotors in good condition for a 1st Generation 99-02 SV650 £50.00 obo + Shipping. They need a good cleaning

Email me for pictures and/or a shipping quote... Regards, Luis SV650R@YAHOO.COM

Last edited by SVXR650; 20-12-09 at 08:28 AM.