SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-09-06, 08:02 PM   #1
weazelz

Default racetech emulators

having got the back end of my bike nicely sorted with a zx10r shock, I've just ordered myself a set of racetech cartidge emulators

any gotcha's I should know about before fitting these babies?

I have a curvy with preload adjusters, hyperpro progressive springs & 15W oil in the front at the moment btw
Old 20-09-06, 08:43 PM   #2
r4ce_e3nd

maybee this is worth reading (from American SV forum) and especialy the part of the damper rod modification:

http://www.socalsvriders.org/forums/...665#post260665

I did it the Zoran way and it feels very good en solid...
Old 21-09-06, 07:49 AM   #3
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Buy some new copper crush washers for the damping rod bolts now, rather than finding out halfway through the job that you need them!
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-06, 09:40 AM   #4
Blue_SV650S

Default Re: racetech emulators

Quote:
Originally Posted by weazelz
having got the back end of my bike nicely sorted with a zx10r shock, I've just ordered myself a set of racetech cartidge emulators

any gotcha's I should know about before fitting these babies?

I have a curvy with preload adjusters, hyperpro progressive springs & 15W oil in the front at the moment btw
I thought emulators and progressive springs were a no no? Might be worth considering some linier springs?
Old 21-09-06, 10:21 AM   #5
Flamin_Squirrel

Default Re: racetech emulators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
I thought emulators and progressive springs were a no no?
Yes I think that's right.

From what I understand, progressive springs are used to try and overcome the short falls of damping rods. Emulators solve this problem, so linear springs should be used.
Old 21-09-06, 03:24 PM   #6
weazelz

thanks for the replies & suggestions, I do have some linear '+10%' springs that the bike came with, I may put them back in. I may have to make up a new spacer tube though - anyone know where I can get the correct sized pipe?

the emulators turned up today - next day from pdq, so I'm suitably impressed with them (again). the installation seems to be fairly straightforward, but I'm not 100% clear what the preload adjuster controls - is this for compression or rebound damping?
Old 21-09-06, 04:01 PM   #7
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by weazelz
thanks for the replies & suggestions, I do have some linear '+10%' springs that the bike came with, I may put them back in. I may have to make up a new spacer tube though - anyone know where I can get the correct sized pipe?

the emulators turned up today - next day from pdq, so I'm suitably impressed with them (again). the installation seems to be fairly straightforward, but I'm not 100% clear what the preload adjuster controls - is this for compression or rebound damping?
I'll measure the tube when I get home for you. The preload (on emulator) is for compression. I have mine at 1.5 turns from the point where the slack is just taken up on the spring and 15w oil and I am happy with the results.
Old 21-09-06, 04:02 PM   #8
sdusk

weazelz, the emulator preload spring controls the compression damping. The oil weight primarily controls the rebound damping, but will also have a lesser effect on the compression damping. I use 20w oil and 1.5 turns of emulator spring preload. I initially tried 15w oil and 2 turns of emulator spring preload but this resulted in too much imbalance between compression and rebound damping for me.
Old 21-09-06, 07:41 PM   #9
Blue_SV650S

OD of tube is 32mm
Old 22-09-06, 08:02 PM   #10
weazelz

right, I've done some measuring & here's what I've got:

* progressive springs & adjustable preload caps:

450mm spring (uncompressed)
60mm spacer
14-32mm adjustable cap (min-max)
2mm cap disk
---------
526-544mm total

* linear springs & non-adjustable preload caps:

328mm spring (uncompressed)
198mm spacer
1mm washer
0mm non-adjustable cap
---------
527mm total

does anyone know the length of standard springs & spacers?

what I want to do is give the progressives to my friend with an '00ish (no preload adjust) curvy & run the linears in mine with the racetechs & prelaod adjusters. can I make the required spacers from the existing spacers or do I need to source some 32mm tubing?

ta

~a