SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-08-10, 06:12 PM   #1
SV400Rob

Default Ireland trip.

Hello!

I'm off to Southern Ireland next week with my girlfriend on the SV and I just wanted to know if anyone had any tips/guidance about riding over there and if there was anywhere that is a must see.

This is also the first tour I've done on the bike, so any guidance would be great!!

Thanks
Rob
SV400Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-10, 06:49 PM   #2
cdtrim

Default Re: Ireland trip.

Every time I'm down south it's in the car and on motorways, sorry. The speed signs are in kph, just remember that on motorways when the speed limit signs show 120! Lots of toll booths heading into Dublin so carry change in Euros in easy to reach pockets. Oh, and if you see a car with GARDA written on it then think about slowing down, it's the police!

If your ever thinking of Northern Ireland I'd recommend the north coast, lots to see and great roads.
Enjoy the trip!
Old 17-08-10, 07:18 PM   #3
Bri w

Once you're out of Dublin, and off the main roads you might find the surfaces a bit iffy. Expect journey times to be longer than expected - it's like proper country roads all the time. Take time to stop off, and don't be frightened to talk to the locals, they're brilliant.

Wicklow mountains, just south of Dublin are stunning, as is the coast all the way down. The Ring of Kerry, and up through Limerick, Clare and Galway are fantastic but that's a lot of ground to cover.

And the Guinness is different, and probably why I'm too cuddly.

Take lots of Euro's, it's really expensive.

Enjoy

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-10, 09:46 PM   #4
svtomo

wicklow mountains is a must, some great roads round there, but as said some really bad surfaces too.
Old 17-08-10, 10:21 PM   #5
CodeJACK

Come on... our roads are not that bad

Depending on whether you want to do country roads or motorways, we can now cater for either. Recent road overhauls have now opened motorways to most major cities. Be warned, your GPS will be mostly useless! Stop in a petrol station and pick up a map book made by the OSI.

Plenty to see and do around here. Wicklow is really nice. very close to Dublin and you will see many irish biker on your way if you head for The Sally Gap and Glendalough. Roads on the way there are rough but geat for one up. Two up and you can do it slow and really enjoy the surroundings.
http://www.glendalough.ie/

There really is a million other places to see. Two other I would recommend are Killarney and Westport. Both very nice towns with great pubs.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Galway but thats because every time I go there, they have a festival of some sort on and its chaos. Too many stag/hens parties evywhere you go. I can be a bit of a dryballs though so maybe dont listen to me if parting is what your after.

You will be welcomed anywhere you go and all I have left to say is that I hope you get the wether for it.
CodeJACK is offline   Reply With Quote