SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-08-17, 02:24 PM   #4801
Chris_SVS

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

1) The weather
2)Bike in for work on the nicest forecast day this week
3)Back to work on monday (I think)
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-17, 02:28 PM   #4802
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
You have to start early with the independence thing. My son always spent his pocket money as soon as it was given and both me and his mother wouldn't give him anymore. So at age 14 he went to work on Saturdays on his stepfathers market stall to earn his own money. As soon as he left school he found a job and has never been out of work since. He's 38 now and wouldn't dream of asking me or his mother for money. My daughter learnt the same lesson from observation. After leaving uni, she wouldn't come back to live with either of us and preferred to make her own way in life. Since then she has never asked a penny from either me or her mother. She's 37 now.
Yeah, It's called tough love, does them the world of good. One of my sister-in-laws did everything for her son and daughter when they were at home (never asked them to help around the house or anything) and even when she couldn't afford it helped them out, even after they left home - sad to say neither of her kids (both over 40 now) has come to much (not a clue about money and the value thereof) as they expect the same from everyone and it just ain't gonna happen, can't help thinking they would have coped much better with life and been happier if they had been brought up like your kids.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 14-08-17 at 02:29 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-17, 04:33 PM   #4803
timwilky
Mega Poster

Don't make the mistake of thinking my kids are workshy losers. My lad despite his problems in life bought his house at age 21, Not many kids manage that. The eldest focused on paying off her student and professional studies loans (40 grand in total)and is now saving for a house.

As I said of daughter no 2, she is a paid student and has got commitments like 3 kids (sorry that should be four if you include her husband). She is not afraid of work and does extra bank shifts to supplement her income. She has a lousy taste in blokes.

I know the problem is Mrs W. We would not have this issue if the original loan, (but #2 will think gift) hadn't been made. Mrs W and #1 are currently scheming. I am ignoring the fact they have got themselves stuck in Lanzarote and my phone has died. As far as I am concerned the SIL is no man. He has no pride in himself or his ability to provide for his family. I really wish #2 would wake up and tell him to get lost.
Old 14-08-17, 05:06 PM   #4804
Heorot

I get what you are saying Timwilky. I was lucky in that I, my ex and her husband David, all had the same attitude towards supplying additional funds. It helped that David had previously loaned several thousands to his son who then flatly refused to repay him. That was over 20 years ago and they are still estranged.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-17, 07:00 PM   #4805
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

That really sucks Tim, on finding that on the credit card bill I would have gone ballistic and removed all my Mrs cards from her and insisted she gets her own account which monies can be transferred into, like you say the issue is with Mrs W, she needs a few lessons in money management!

Triumph and Suzuki owner
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-17, 07:06 PM   #4806
maviczap
Mega Poster

People who take credit for work they never had any involvement in and claim it was down to them
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-17, 09:22 PM   #4807
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaivalagi View Post
That really sucks Tim, on finding that on the credit card bill I would have gone ballistic and removed all my Mrs cards from her and insisted she gets her own account which monies can be transferred into, like you say the issue is with Mrs W, she needs a few lessons in money management!
no need. my wifes income is her own. she is entitled to all she earns. Despite being married to me for far too many years she is a techno phobe. I have to set up and manage her online accounts. I transfer her money from accounts to cards etc. That is why I discovered the holiday payment.

Things have moved on. She has paid for hotel and flights home. I cannot blame her and she agrees if it was just the grown ups leave them to sort their selves out. But the grandkids do not deserve thier parents stupidity.

Daughter is still in denial. We have to be there an hour before. So we turn up and get ****ed about by the car hire return who delayed us so we were unable to check in. No get there in time to return the car and still have time to check in.

Thier flight tomorow is about 1:30, We have said be their for eleven. Why!

Because you do not have tickets. just a reference. you need to ensure that if there are any problems they can be resolved before the flight departs....Will they ever learn
Old 15-08-17, 01:36 AM   #4808
BanannaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Hi Bill, I'm flying TO the USA next week

Welcome to the Trumpian Empire!
You should be fine as long as you are not traveling with anyone who even remotely looks to be Muslim.
Or Mexican.
Or Gay.
Or Liberal.
Or Democrat.
Or you mind being groped or sexually harassed. (Apparently it's a thing among American Conservatives)

However, on a more positive note, Swastikas, flaming torches and White Supremacists are always welcome!

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

Last edited by BanannaMan; 15-08-17 at 03:36 AM.
BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-17, 09:42 AM   #4809
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Daughter is still in denial. We have to be there an hour before. So we turn up and get ****ed about by the car hire return who delayed us so we were unable to check in. No get there in time to return the car and still have time to check in.
I suffer from this a lot. I'm the early guy. I don't mind chilling for an hour or so if I'm early, but I see no point in risking being late due to "unforeseen circumstances" that seem happen quite often. Late means you've missed the train/bus/flight and you ain't going anywhere.

My mrs and lad disagree. He's late for school almost everyday and it's never his fault. Traffic/roadworks/bus was late etc. But this happens almost every day so take it into account... I get nowhere
Old 15-08-17, 09:44 AM   #4810
DomP

Clio 182 in limp mode with traction control light, Eml light on!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk