SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-02-12, 08:51 PM   #1
Holdup

Default Standard front sprocket, bigger rear sprocket, how many more links in chain required?

For example the standard csk of a faired SV650 is 15t fr 44t rr and 108 link chain, if you were to increase the rear sprocket to lets say 48t how many more links would you need? i work it out to be 2 more links making it a 110 link chain, is that correct?
Old 25-02-12, 09:39 PM   #2
Shawthing

Default Re: Standard front sprocket, bigger rear sprocket, how many more links in chain required?

I can see where your coming from. If you think the chain sits in half of the rear sprocket, then if it's circumference increases by 4 teeth ( 4 links) then chain should need to increase by half of four = 2 links .
But the calculation is abit more dificult due to the extra lengths from where chain sits on front sprocket to where it sits on rear sprocket . So maybe closer to an extra 3 links (i.e. 111links).

More worying is that in the manual the Naked SV with 45/15 sprockets has 110 link chain! Two more links for just one more tooth?

Non arbores caesa suum mittere nuntius, sed magnum numerum electrons uehementissime incommo.

Last edited by Shawthing; 25-02-12 at 10:35 PM.
Shawthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-12, 10:41 PM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Standard front sprocket, bigger rear sprocket, how many more links in chain required?

The naked bike also has a swingarm 1cm longer than the faired bike.Just to complicate things more.
Old 25-02-12, 11:02 PM   #4
Shawthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
The naked bike also has a swingarm 1cm longer than the faired bike.Just to complicate things more.

Well that explains the extra 2 links (3.2cm) being closest to 2cm (2 lots of extra swinging arm length) + 0.8cm (half of an extra link for the extra rear tooth).

Back of fag packet calculation using pythagoras and PI etc suggets extra length of chain needed for extra length from where chain touches the sprockets is only 0.16 of a link.
I'd go with 110 links.

Non arbores caesa suum mittere nuntius, sed magnum numerum electrons uehementissime incommo.
Shawthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-12, 07:47 AM   #5
MattCollins

In the real world, I'd buy a chain that has a few extra links and cut it to the length determined when actually fitting it to the bike.
A standard part of my chain toolkit is a piece of #8 wire that is hooked at each end and is two links long. It makes life so much easier to be able to temporarily join the chain before cutting it.
Old 26-02-12, 07:00 PM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

No8 - the Antipodean answer to all engineering problems. I doubt many people over here are going to know what No8 is.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-12, 12:40 PM   #7
embee
Mega Poster

If it's any help, I fitted a 16T g/box sprocket (up from 15T) on my curvey SVS when nearly new (i.e. not worn chain) and it just fitted with the std chain length. In other words there is a little leeway already there, I don't think it would have accommodated another tooth, but 16T was OK.