SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-11-11, 03:15 PM   #1
muzikill
Mega Poster

Default A definitive winter storage thread?

Can anyone give me a few pointers? or even a list would do.

Things i found so far.....

Clean it down & ACF50 it.
Battery out & keep it optimised.

But i come across threads that say fill the tank to the brim/dont fill it. Dont occasionally start it. Oil down the spark plug holes/dont bother. Drain the old oil and fill it to the brim then change the oil again before you put it back on the road. Depends how long its off the road for etc. etc.

Can someone who is in the know, just list the right procedure/steps? It's being stored in a garage btw.

Ta.
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.

Last edited by muzikill; 26-11-11 at 03:16 PM.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-11, 03:26 PM   #2
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: A definitive winter storage thread?

are you going to ride it at all, the odd hour a week here or there?
Ideally if you are not then filling the tank and adding a fuel stabiliser is a good idea, as is trying to raise the tyres off the ground-front and rear paddock stand, take the wheels off/leave it on jacks.
Oil isn't that much of an issue i *don't* think, unless it due a service very shortly. I would simply change it before you start riding it regular again.
Give it a good clean prior to it being stored away and i would copper ease sliding movements. I would remove the chain and keep it in a tub of oil, if its possible for you to do so.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-11, 05:47 PM   #3
davegixer1300r

Just a thought How many dealers fart about with their second hand stock. Yes I know it is in a show room but their stock over winter doesnt move that quick and you will see the same bike in there for months, even new bikes, sat on its side stand probably with the battery off but that is all. Essentially if it is dry it should be okay. If you're worried then two paddock stands turn the wheels 1/4 turn every six weeks stops chain setting in position push the bake cylinders back in the calipers to prevent brakes seizing onto discs I would change the oil before storage as old oil can be slightly acidic. as for fuel tank, well fuel nowadays i believe has a shorter life span and does go off so a full tank would probably be not too good if you leave it three months or more If the garage is dry and temp stable i cannot really see it being red rusty in a couple of weeks if it is not full.
My Bikes, well the hayabusa is ridden year round weather permitting but the SVs sit there with batteries on optimiser for a week every 2 months on stands as they've no side stand with their tanks empty [Fuel drained and put into road bikes].
Do not claim to be an expert but it is what I do and have done especially in the Army we used to leave vehicles in hangers for 6 months when on tour. they were serviced before, batteries off job done turn wheels occassionally. Hope this is off some help.
Old 26-11-11, 06:48 PM   #4
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Muz

- Clean the bike down properly and give it a polish.
- ACF50 the lower part of the bike (rag on areas near the brakes)
- Oil Change, depending on when its due (Mine will probably be done just before as mines due in about a 1,000 miles)
- Check the coolant level if you're not sure on condition change it (you should be ok as you've just rebuilt it)
- Coat the chain with lube
- Tyres, up the PSI to around 40 and leave
- Put the bike up on the front and rear stands to stop egg shaping the tyres
- Fuel Tank: if its not sealed top up and add some stabliser to keep the fuel form going off.
- Battery off on the optimiser leave the bike until the spring

I'd be tempted (as a few orgers are thinking) to take the time to seal the tank.

Dave the wheel and brakes is a good tip.

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-11, 10:36 PM   #5
suzukigt380paul

and if your not going to use it for months and you want to get it out in the spring in the same condition you first left it then buy one of those bike vacuum bags that you stick the whole bike in,have been told they work very well
Old 02-12-11, 04:34 PM   #6
hongman

Mines been sat still pretty much since the AR, started it once to warm for an Oil change it was overdue, that was it.

What is this about sealing the tank? Worthwhile even if its not leaking?
Also going to look at this vacuum bag, sounds interesting, as mine is stored outside.

I need a new C&S + rear tyre before spring, but time permitting I will also stick some new springs in the front and redo the calipers. Just cant drag myself out in the cold to work on it, so southern of me!

I fully expect to have to buy a new battery as well. Was an absolute pig to start at that last oil change, and I probably flattened it even more by cranking it over for so long. Low charge + cold will probably = dead battery. It's still the original so its not done that bad I guess...
Old 03-12-11, 06:26 PM   #7
muzikill
Mega Poster

What i did today................

Fuel Tank was about 50% full chucked some stabiliser in and swirled it around and ran it until the engine was warm enough to do the oil change. Then i topped it up with fuel from the jerry can until full adding stabiliser as i went and swirling it around to make sure its mixed.
Oil Changed
Checked the coolant - fine.
Put the bike up on the abba stand
Coated the chain with lube
Tyres up to PSI 40
Battery off & into the house and on the optimiser.

The bike will be meticulously cleaned and coated with ACF50 as i go. Ive got chewies replacement bolt kit for the whole bike to fit as i go round it. Lube for the moving parts. Goodridge brakelines & overhaul the brakes.

Tips: As far as oil change goes i filled it up after getting rid of the old with the bike on it's side stand. I filled it it up the normal level you would do at a oil change and started the bike again and let it run for 2 mins to let the engine suck up the oil back into all the bits it needed to. Then i levelled the bike and filled it so the whole window was full. I then started the bike for around a minute to let the extra oil fly around and quickly turned it off. I put the bike in the garage on the abba stand and topped it back up so the oil covered the oil level window again. Doing it this way there should be enough oil chucked around the gears to keep it soaked and because i havent topped it to the brim if i want to turn it over it's still an option, so no 11L of oil wasted. With it being on the stand i can hand turn the engine giving the gears a lesser chance of going dry.

Ta for the advice so far.
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.

Last edited by muzikill; 03-12-11 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-12-11, 07:00 PM   #8
picquant

Hmmm. I just take my K2 out for a little spin once a month or so. She sits in my garage which is relatively dry and seems absolutely fine, (and is a little beauty!)
Old 03-12-11, 07:08 PM   #9
muzikill
Mega Poster

With the amount of work ive done on mine im not taking chances over the winter period!
Old 04-12-11, 04:24 AM   #10
BanannaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by picquant View Post
Hmmm. I just take my K2 out for a little spin once a month or so. She sits in my garage which is relatively dry and seems absolutely fine, (and is a little beauty!)

+1

I find an occasional ride in the winter month's keeps the bike in better condition than all the storage prep in the world.

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote