SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-06-11, 01:40 PM   #1
metalangel

Default Welsh motorists taking revenge on scameras

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-n...wales-13961496

Quote:
Fixed point speed cameras in north Wales have been sawn in half, pulled from the ground, glued, smashed and driven into, a road safety group has found.

The camera worst affected in north Wales is located on the A525 at Coedpoeth, near Wrexham.

It has been struck six times with damage caused to the front of the lens box and paint thrown over it. In the latest attack in 2008, there was an attempt to set it on fire.

Some pics of burnt cameras:
http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2.htm

Can't find any of the burnt vans.
Old 30-06-11, 01:51 PM   #2
jonny.boyd

Default Re: Welsh motorists taking revenge on scameras

Correct me if i'm wrong but is it not our taxes paying for these cameras to be replaced??

Why then are people so content on destroying them ultimately costing the government (our pockets) more!!

As said in the first article the cameras are put there to save lives, not make money.. Are some people so simple that they don't realise that... okay yes once in a while we may be caught going a little bit too fast past one and curse them, but that event then causes you as an individual to pay attention to the roads and actually follow the speed limits for fear of getting caught again....
jonny.boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-11, 01:54 PM   #3
metalangel

I think the arsonists a) don't care, and b) might be seeing the articles saying that a lot of the safety partnerships have had their budgets cut and therefore can't afford to keep replacing these things forever.
Old 30-06-11, 02:07 PM   #4
Specialone

Not put there to make money ???

Take a look at some of the locations of them, they serve no purpose apart from slowing drivers down right by the camera.

Accidents on the Bristol road in brum increased when cameras were introduced compared to previous years, so they are not always effective.

Councils that have turned them off haven't noticed a difference in accident rates.
Old 30-06-11, 02:14 PM   #5
jonny.boyd

I know around my area there is a hill with 2 camera's on it, it is a 30mph road and had a pedestrian crossing about half way down it which is used alot by kids leaving school etc. I know for a fact that if those camera's weren't there people would happily do 40+ down that hill, and very soon a kid would be knocked over and killed. Actually just last week a little young'un was mowed down by a car, it was a 20mph zone yet somehow the kid managed to be flung over the top of the car!?! (Bet ya he was speeding) anyway the kid died... is it really worth it? Speed cameras may be a PITA but at the end of the day if just one camera saved one persons life would it not be worth it?
Old 30-06-11, 02:43 PM   #6
timwilky
Mega Poster

The argument for the placing of a speed camera is the location has to have had a history of serious and or fatal collisions. In accepting the location has dangers the onus should be on engineering out the danger, not on revenue generation with a camera.

Cameras do not and cannot stop a collision. Most drivers know just how cynical the scamera partnerships are. They are in it for job creation though a revenue stream that is sold as being in the public interest. It is not. The public interest is best served by removing the danger.

I can take you to one camera site that is justified by the injuries to my best mans parents at that location. However their injuries were caused by the sitting of the camera and the KSIs have gone up for this location since the camera was installed.

Last edited by timwilky; 30-06-11 at 02:46 PM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-11, 02:52 PM   #7
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Put them near places like Schools, busy junctions, bad sections of road and make them both well sign posted and highly visable - I have no problem with using them as a deterrent in situations like this.

However every single point I've (stupidly) picked up has been on long, empty straight roads after 9pm at night by copper's hiding in the bushes with a mobile camera.

Noone will ever convince me that is not purely for making money, and most copper's I know (including our very own MKB) agree with me.

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-11, 03:10 PM   #8
jonny.boyd

Tim that is a very sad and unfortunate incident. I can understand how when something like that happens you begin to see things that are meant to prevent accidents and things causing them... I wonder what the driver got for that? Probably a good 'ol telling off a slap on the wrist knowing the way these things go now'a'days..
Old 30-06-11, 03:28 PM   #9
Dave20046
Mega Poster

I thought this might happen when they announced they copuldn't afford them it's just a bit infuriating they're throwing more money at them to repair them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMio View Post
Put them near places like Schools, busy junctions, bad sections of road and make them both well sign posted and highly visable - I have no problem with using them as a deterrent in situations like this.
I always question why they put them near busy junctions as people either take their eyes off the junction to check their speed or slam on the brakes.
Old 30-06-11, 03:57 PM   #10
metalangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny.boyd View Post
Speed cameras may be a PITA but at the end of the day if just one camera saved one persons life would it not be worth it?
www.gigstaggart.com/blog/?p=60