SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-05-09, 10:24 AM   #351
lily

Default Re: The weight loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
I get home from work and I feel completely knackered and then I sit down in front of the TV and then thats it I dont move again. Trouble is I know I will feel better once I do start exercising its just the getting started I'm really struggling with.
How about on a weekend cooking a lot of food and putting it in the freezer once it is cool.... that way you can still have a ready meal..... but one that you have cooked yourself?
Old 07-05-09, 10:25 AM   #352
Mej
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by carty View Post
I agree with all but the last part of that - 8-12 pints is a heck of a lot of water, unless you're training in the desert or something

Fizz, 'cutting' diet means the diet you would follow when trying to shed weight whilst keeping the muscles reasonably fuelled, rather than a 'gaining' diet which you would follow when you are trying to significantly grow the muscle.

I knew people that drank alot more than that, seriously try it, it is good to keep your body hydrated as it does not allow c*ap to settle in your system.

Mej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 10:29 AM   #353
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily View Post
How about on a weekend cooking a lot of food and putting it in the freezer once it is cool.... that way you can still have a ready meal..... but one that you have cooked yourself?
I tried that before I ended up with a freezer full of meals that I didnt fancy eating...

Like I said I'm a fussy eater, I'm my own worst enemy.

I just looked back at my cycling log, When the weather was nice a few weeks ago I managed to get out in the evenings after work. I did just shy of 50 miles in the course of 4 evenings and burnt 2500 calories...

I know I can shift it, because I did it before It'll be fine once I get started its the getting started that the problem.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 10:36 AM   #354
carty

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2UK View Post
I knew people that drank alot more than that, seriously try it, it is good to keep your body hydrated as it does not allow c*ap to settle in your system.
I agree, it's good to keep your body hydrated but that does sound a lot. Too much water will water down the salts in your body and have a negative effect surely? I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just intrigued cos I've never heard anyone recommend 8-12 pints of water. The minimum recommended by health 'experts' is 2 litres per day but you're saying 4-6 litres. I sip water constantly throughout the day and the eve and probably have about 3 litres I reckon.
Old 07-05-09, 10:36 AM   #355
Mej
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
I tried that before I ended up with a freezer full of meals that I didnt fancy eating...

Like I said I'm a fussy eater, I'm my own worst enemy.

I just looked back at my cycling log, When the weather was nice a few weeks ago I managed to get out in the evenings after work. I did just shy of 50 miles in the course of 4 evenings and burnt 2500 calories...

I know I can shift it, because I did it before It'll be fine once I get started its the getting started that the problem.
See if i have been to the gym and i come home, i wont eat crap because i know that it would waste most of my gym trainnig, but when dont go to the gym i dont think like that.

The one thing that kept me going when i gave up drinking and followed that diet for 9 weeks was what someone said to me just before i started,

"how much do you really want it, alot of people talk, but most people will fall of the wagon and one stage of another"

and i did eventually, 9 weeks later i had a beer. But thats what kept me going, thats what i thought about everytime i felt like straying from the diet i didnt want to be another one of those people.

Old 07-05-09, 10:37 AM   #356
Holdup

Just went to tesco and managed to restrain myself from buying more than one sandwhich got my bmx out tuesday quite supprised that i wasnt as knackered as i have been in the past going up the hill to my house! seem to be staying lower than 12 st 3lbs now, think ill have to start going to the gym with my mate.
Old 07-05-09, 10:41 AM   #357
Mej
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by carty View Post
I agree, it's good to keep your body hydrated but that does sound a lot. Too much water will water down the salts in your body and have a negative effect surely? I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just intrigued cos I've never heard anyone recommend 8-12 pints of water. The minimum recommended by health 'experts' is 2 litres per day but you're saying 4-6 litres. I sip water constantly throughout the day and the eve and probably have about 3 litres I reckon.
Very true, which is why its good to make your own sports drinks when your training, with a bit of salt a bit of fruit juice and a lot of water.

Water can be one of your most useful tools for weight loss. Water is calorie free. When you are on a restricted diet, by drinking water you can fill yourself up and alleviate some of the hunger.

On my diet i used to try and drink two pints of water before each meal that way i would always be hydrated, plus i used to consume alot of water in the gym.

Old 07-05-09, 10:48 AM   #358
carty

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2UK View Post
Very true, which is why its good to make your own sports drinks when your training, with a bit of salt a bit of fruit juice and a lot of water.

Water can be one of your most useful tools for weight loss. Water is calorie free. When you are on a restricted diet, by drinking water you can fill yourself up and alleviate some of the hunger.

On my diet i used to try and drink two pints of water before each meal that way i would always be hydrated, plus i used to consume alot of water in the gym.
Fair enough, that's more water than I would drink but I can see your reasoning behind it if you're following a 'cutting' diet and trying to lose weight / flush out your system.
Old 07-05-09, 11:52 AM   #359
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily View Post
Drew has started on sliming world.... he did it a couple of years ago and lost 2 stone and a half... but then got fed up didn't want to pay the £6 per week and also we moved in together and drew eats when he is happy so i don't know if to take it as a compliment or not?! Its taken him 18 months to put back on what he lost.

It works for Drew as its the type of food he likes, rice, pasta vegtables are all classed as free food (along with some others), so he can eat as much as he wants, of these free foods (which means he can still eat a size of portion he is happy with)

He has to have what they call 2 B choices a day....... one of these being meat, another being a ceral.

He also then can have 1 or 2 A choices being milk and cheese. Cheese can also count as a B choice

The main problem with us was that when we got home I couldn't be bothered to cook so we would get take out. It was actually getting to a point of we were fed up with take out.

I've also started to lose weight and tone up just from walking the 2 miles from the bus stop to work each day (sometimes twice if drew doesn't pick me up) I'm hoping to borrow by brother in law's bike (that he spent a small fortune on last year and used 5 times to get himself to work!!!!) and use that to cycle to work each day.

I think that if i keep with the walking and cycling and also eating the same food as drew (not weighting myself tho, I always go with how my clothes fit me) That come when i finally get round to getting a bike i may also be getting new leathers

Just to add to this.....the main key with this diet is volume. The science part is proven, you take in more food, your motabolism increases to burn it off. If you consume more than normal, but of the right stuff, it will burn off what you've just eaten and also what you have stored.

On that basis, this is why the Slimming World diet works for me. I like big portions and always have, especially foods such as rice or pasta. The free food within the diets may be foods that ordinarily people may think "that can't be good on a diet", but, it is classed as "Free" as the benefits - ie increased protein / calcium / fibre aid dieting and your motabolism and so weigh out any negative factors.

If your not a keen rice / pasta / veg fan then you can do the diet as a "Red Day", which is the same concept, but the free food is extra lean meet, with all the pastas etc being your A&B choices.

The key though is eating as much free food as you can, whilst also eating your quota of Sins. You get 10 per day and can be used all at once or stacked up for special occasions. Examples are, McD's Big Mac is about 30 sins, a carling is about 5sins, glass of wine about 4 sins.....a stuffed crust, large meat feast from pizza hut!!!!!.....is a mahoosive 130 sins!!!!!

The diet ultimately encourages you to eat healthy, within moderation, so that when you come off it, you have more chance to stay at your target. I didn't as I didn't remain within moderation.

My day yesterday for example was;
Yoghurt, Banana, Apple and 2 riveta for breakfast.</p>Batchelors savoury rice and 1 riveta for lunch.</p>Baked beans, Big pile of crushed potatoes and quorn chicken burgers for tea.</p>Plus during the day 4 cups of tea and a bottle of diet coke.

Its enough to keep me going, has the nutrition I need and in fact, the list above was a "Sin Free Day", therefore I can store up those ten sins for the weekend.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 12:23 PM   #360
Amanda M

I'm another follower of slimming world. I've lost just over 3 stone in 18 months but have hit a sticking point. I've been the same weight now for months and need to lose more, although I'm quite happy with how I look and feel right now and I've not been able to say that for a very long time. I'm not going to the classes these days but am still following the rules.

I've started exercising more again since the quacks injected my shoulder with something and improved it so have lost some inches but no weight. I'm sure if I carry on eating well, not drinking too much boooooze and exercising like I'm doing the weight will creep off again