SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 12-03-10, 04:27 PM   #11
lee67

Default Re: Front Tyre Wear Query

ive seen alot of tyres....with loads worse wear than that after a couple of sessions..
Old 13-03-10, 10:52 AM   #12
tactcom7

This is my rear tyre after a particularly nasty tank slapper last year....

Old 13-03-10, 12:18 PM   #13
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

That just looks bald?
Old 13-03-10, 06:41 PM   #14
tactcom7

it was fine when i set off i promise!
Old 13-03-10, 07:15 PM   #15
jambo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tactcom7 View Post
This is my rear tyre after a particularly nasty tank slapper last year....
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
That just looks bald?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tactcom7 View Post
it was fine when i set off i promise!
Cause an effect. I can't think of any possible way a tank slapper, however horrific and drawn out could wear a tyre like that. However, picking up a slow puncture has let me wear a tyre out much faster than normal, and this, together with the low pressure has caused some odd handling characteristics.

The Diablo, like the Z6 has no continuous centre tread pattern which means people sometimes don't realise how worn the centre is until you break through to carcass.

My guess is they tyre was low on tread and/or pressure and the tank slapper was the first symptom you picked up on with the rear tyre issue.

Just a thought.

Jambo
Old 13-03-10, 11:29 PM   #16
tactcom7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Cause an effect. I can't think of any possible way a tank slapper, however horrific and drawn out could wear a tyre like that. However, picking up a slow puncture has let me wear a tyre out much faster than normal, and this, together with the low pressure has caused some odd handling characteristics.

The Diablo, like the Z6 has no continuous centre tread pattern which means people sometimes don't realise how worn the centre is until you break through to carcass.

My guess is they tyre was low on tread and/or pressure and the tank slapper was the first symptom you picked up on with the rear tyre issue.

Just a thought.

Jambo

God knows, possibly. All i know is it was fine when i set off, and 50 miles later when i stopped to check it (and change my pants) it looked like that. Came over the crest of a hill and hit a rut, my mate who was following at the time said he saw my back tyre shoot about 3ft either way of the centreline and me bounce out of the seat, he was convinced i was a goner as was i!
Don't really know much about tyres (as you have probably guessed), just wondering, how safe was it to ride in that condition?
Old 13-03-10, 11:35 PM   #17
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo
That's the correct answer.

tactcom7, it may have looked fine but I guarantee, if you had looked closer, you would have seen the tyre was well worn

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-10, 11:39 PM   #18
tactcom7

Why would it just wear on that small patch though? I had to ride it another 50 miles back home and it didn't get any worse.
Old 14-03-10, 12:00 AM   #19
21QUEST
Mega Poster

We spend more time upright on the road so the centre obviously wears/had worn at a greater rate....jeez, I sound like an **** that is trying to show someone how to suck eggs. You just had more rubber left, off centre

On way back, you probably took it much much easier as well. That was perhaps why it seemingly didn't get any worse.

There was a member(Matt I think) on here who had a similar situation with the tyres on his SV1000, IIRC . Tyre were Z6s .

A similar occurance with someone else on an SV650, come to think of it. I can't remember his name but he lives(lived atleast) in Barry lol.

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-10, 12:05 AM   #20
tactcom7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21QUEST View Post
We spend more time upright on the road so the centre obviously wears/had worn at a greater rate....jeez, I sound like an **** that is trying to show someone how to suck eggs. You just had more rubber left, off centre

On way back, you probably took it much much easier as well. That was perhaps why it seemingly didn't get any worse.

There was a member(Matt I think) on here who had a similar situation with the tyres on his SV1000, IIRC . Tyre were Z6s .

A similar occurance with someone else on an SV650, come to think of it. I can't remember his name but he lives(lived atleast) in Barry lol.

Cheers
Ben
It's o.k Ben I appreciate the advice I meant how come it only happened around such a small circumference of the tyre (about 12 inches)
The plan was to take it easy back but I had some scooby up my **** for a bit and it all got a little silly lol

Si