SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-05-10, 12:04 PM   #1
LEXINGTONONE

Default suspension and swingarm play, warranty ?

Just got my SV ready for sale (06 reg K5 with two grand of extras if anyone is interested) including it's first MOT, I got a couple of advisories one being slight play in swingarm so like the genuine biker I am I decided to address the issues before selling bike, I also noticed my self a very slight amount of play in suspension linkage, I have stripped bike including taking out swingarm and stripping suspension, I have found that the slight amount of play in both the swingarm and the very slight play in suspension linkage is down to the fact that the swing arm pivot bolt and the suspension linkage bolts (two of the three, other one is ok) are a pxxs poor fit in the bearing bushes and in actual fact the bearings and bushes are perfect (which I suspected they would be on a bike not yet four years old), I noticed doing a search that lots of people have had advisories at MOT time for play in swingarm, has anyone taken this up with Suzuki GB as it seems very poor for bike to be built with this play in swingarm bearings, this obviously also affects the bikes second hand value if it is sold with advisories that is why I wanted to put evrything right.

Before anyone says play must be in worn bushes or bolts I can 100% assure that it is manufacturing tolerances (very poor ones) between the bolts and bushes that are the problem.

Any feedback on this much appreciated as I want bike to be 100% right for sale, that's not a sales pitch it's the truth.

Thanks Jeff
Old 30-05-10, 12:06 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: suspension and swingarm play, warranty ?

Play there goes away when bolts are tight.
Old 30-05-10, 12:22 PM   #3
LEXINGTONONE

no it doesn't bolt tightened till swingarm went tight (with correct 19mm allen socket) then backed off till swingarm will just move freely, play (and knock that can be felt) is still there, that was my first hope, also all suspension bolts were as tight as possible, not too bothered about very slight play in suspension but swingarm play is a worry and a constant advisory at MOT time.
Old 30-05-10, 12:32 PM   #4
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Suzuki say that the swingarms are designed to have a little play as it helps with stability in corners....apparently. It is the case on a few models, not just the SV
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-10, 12:41 PM   #5
LEXINGTONONE

I have heard that before but never in my 42 years of fettling bikes (including for a road race team) have I known it to be ok for there to be slight play in swingarm (enough for an MOT tester to pick it up and put an advisory on !). I have mailed Suzuki GB and will await their response. Thanks for replies.
Old 30-05-10, 12:46 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

its true.. i had mine checked as it had play but i was told 'thats fine' i said BS they then took me to look at a few 'out of crate' bikes (bandit, sv, and another that i cant remember) they all had the same play (i checked myself). either suzuki have messed up and dont want to admit (lots of money) or they know something we dont. i personally think that the play is responsable for the head shaking that most sv's suffer from.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-10, 12:48 PM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

You on about side to side play? DavieSV found this too, he made shim washer to get clearance correct and cured issue.

Up and down play in linkage is not because of fit of bolts inside bushes. Try this experiment, remove dogbones and bushes, bolt it up so you have square "block" of dogbones bushings and bolts... try move bushings around!
If you have up and down play it is because of a loose bearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Suzuki say that the swingarms are designed to have a little play as it helps with stability in corners....apparently. It is the case on a few models, not just the SV
That is BS suzuki dealer told someone to avoid warranty work. Play in swingarm is not desirable.
Old 30-05-10, 12:54 PM   #8
LEXINGTONONE

Thanks for that reply Bibio that is exactly what I thought it does save me cost of bearings sleeves etc but as a lifelong engineer I hate stuff that is just not right and I have to explain the advisory on MOT to potential buyers.

If anyone does take out swingarm I suggest you try the pivot bolt in the bearing sleeves and see what a poor fit it is, I have recently spent quite a bit of time repairing Gas Gas trials bikes which the consensus of opinion amongst the trials community are great bikes but not exactly the greatest quality control and the fit of the swingarm and suspension bushes, bearings, bolts etc is far superior to the SV with no discernible play, I am surprised and disappointed that this is the case with my SV which has been my pride and joy for the last three years.
Old 30-05-10, 12:54 PM   #9
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
That is BS suzuki dealer told someone to avoid warranty work. Play in swingarm is not desirable.
It probably is bs but I was told the same when I took my sv in and like bibio was also shown other bikes with the same play.
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-10, 12:59 PM   #10
LEXINGTONONE

Yorkie Chris thanks for response but as stated in first post there is no play at all between bearings and bushes it is all between bolts and bushes, yes this can be eliminated to a degree by pulling bolts tight onto bushes which then clamps bushes in place but this sidesteps the issue of very poor manufacturing tolerances, if you take out swingarm and try pivot bolt for fit in bushes (that are perfect, as new) you might be shocked at the amount of play between the two, you should not be relying on shimming swingarm between frame to eliminate any side play, I do not mean end float.