SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-03-06, 11:23 AM   #1
keithd

Default a sad loss....

THE SAD PASSING OF COMMON SENSE

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place.

The reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they failed to do on disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get consent to administer Panadol, sun lotion or a sticky plaster to a student; but, could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live after a woman failed to realise that a cup of steaming coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents; Truth and Trust, his wife, Discretion, his daughter, Responsibility and his son, Reason. Three stepbrothers survive him; I know my Rights, Someone Else is to Blame and I'm a Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realised he was gone.

If you still remember him, pass this on. If not join the majority and do nothing!
Old 03-03-06, 11:40 AM   #2
K

At least he is in pain no more.

Though on a brighter side we can probably produce enough cheap electricity to solve our problems; hook his body up to a turbine as he spins in his grave at about 7,000 rpm!
Old 03-03-06, 12:05 PM   #3
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Very good and sadly very true too.

So who can we blame for this cos clearly its not my fault
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-06, 12:05 PM   #4
GC-SV

So true.

Such a pity, he will be sorely missed.

Maybe "Son of Common Sense" will help turn things to the way they were.
Old 03-03-06, 01:32 PM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I think the final nail in the coffin was when Common Sense became a disciplinary offense at work and was re named Gross Misconduct.Round about the same time that "having a sense of humour" became a sackable offense too.
Old 03-03-06, 01:58 PM   #6
sharriso74

Yep dead as a dodo. In the papers today the government are suggesting that teachers consult children as young as 5 regarding discipline within the school.
Old 03-03-06, 04:38 PM   #7
Daimo

You see, im good close mates with Commen Sense, we're pretty close.
Me and Brains though, we fell out ages ago. We only work together sometimes to get through issues.

Where i work (law firm), it seems most people are still good mates with Brains, but never had any contact with commen sense to start with, let alone build a relationship with it.
Old 03-03-06, 04:56 PM   #8
kinesin

Default Re: a sad loss....

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithd
[Common Sense finally gave up the will to live after a woman failed to realise that a cup of steaming coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.
It a shame this line was included.. and the full details around the case make the summary worthless.

Liebeck v. McDonalds

But otherwise .. very true!!
Old 03-03-06, 06:24 PM   #9
Cloggsy

How very very true
Old 03-03-06, 09:18 PM   #10
Well Oiled

Default Re: a sad loss....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinesin
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithd
[Common Sense finally gave up the will to live after a woman failed to realise that a cup of steaming coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.
It a shame this line was included.. and the full details around the case make the summary worthless.

Liebeck v. McDonalds
Well, AFIK coffee is a HOT drink made with BOILING water and coffee grounds. Unless she's defied the laws of physics it coudn't have been hotter than 100 degrees C and must have been a bit less by the time she spilt it. She should have known this and her clumsiness in spilling the drink (or the sharp braking of the driver) was the true cause of her scalds. Although some of the facts around this one have been distorted the idea that someone can get thousands of dollars for spilling a HOT drink on their lap is ridiculous.

Maybe someone spilling a freshly made cup of tea down them in my house will sue me for thousands. Who knows?

My £0.02 worth. Keith

P.S. Very nicely written start to the thread Keithd