SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: Do I...
Leave it be and part-ex against a sports 600/750 9 50.00%
Mod the hell out of it 9 50.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-07-06, 09:50 PM   #1
andyaikido

Default More mods or new bike?

Getting a bit ahead of myself here but...

I've currently got an arata full system, K&N filter and Gilles pegs on my bike. Do I...

Wait a year and a half or so (till the loans paid off) and part-ex for a sports 600/750? Bear in mind I do about 12k miles a year in all weathers so my bike will be high mileage. I will need to do something with the suspension during this time too cos it's getting a bit tired.

OR

Do even more mods, like a big-bore, entire GSXR radial calipered front end, go-faster paint job and new shock?

I like the idea of having a bike that goes much faster than it looks but will I ever get it performing as well as a purpose-built sports bike?
What sort of power can i expect from a big-bore upto 750 cc? It makes 78 (dynojet) bhp at the mo.
Do big-bores affect reliability or servicing costs? (i need to commute all year)
Should probably mention I'm into trackdays and the like and my commute is 10 miles of Mway so i don't mind compromising comfort for performance.

Thanks in advance...
Old 15-07-06, 10:32 PM   #2
philipMac

The money you pay on mods you are not really going to get back. Including the money you have already spent. Whereas the money spent on a whole new machine will come back to you more.

It depends on what you want. An SV with a radial Gixxer front end, and a nice shock will handle really well. If you are knocking on the door of 80bhp, then, realistically you have enough power. (Enough ). To me, handling is almost everything.

There are other things to consider, like the insurance, and any mods on the bike you are about to buy. Also, a flash bike will be more likely nicked.

I dont know, my plan is to mod up my bike, with shocks and something with the front end. And keep it. It will have next to no re-sale value, so screw it. I know my bike, and it makes me happy. Thats enough for me for the forseeable future.
Old 15-07-06, 11:03 PM   #3
Grinch

Mine will have a make over soon... that cheque will be here any day now...
Old 16-07-06, 01:01 AM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: More mods or new bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyaikido
Do big-bores affect reliability or servicing costs? (i need to commute all year)

Should probably mention I'm into trackdays and the like and my commute is 10 miles of Mway so i don't mind compromising comfort for performance.
Yup indeedy... SV cranks are strong enough for regular use, but they're not indestructible. 750 or even 700 adds a fair chunk of moving mass, while thinning out the piston sleeves- so you have 2 sources of extra stress on the crank and rods (more mass and more bang) combined with more vulnerability to heat effects. And I think you'd have a fuel injected model if you have an Arata fixed, don't think they do one for the carbed model- in which case, you have the weaker rods too. Not to say it'll turn it into a grenade, but if you intend to actually use the extra potential of a big bore at peak (instead of just enjoying the midrange as many do) then you're more likely to have problems.

I looked at it for a long time... It's not expensive as these things go, provided you can do your own work (bar the bore, most likely, but that doesn't have to be expensive). But the potential for catastrophic failure rises to a level I'm not personally happy with. It's still not neccesarily high, but...

If you really want to add power, you can fit Haybusa pistons with just a very minor barrel hone, and either deck the heads or remove gasket levels- this gives a nice compression boost and reduces moving mass, gives you most of the benefit without so much of the drawback. Not so good for midrange though. Could be done pretty cheaply, that, though it restricts you to premium fuel. If you can find a set of Busa pistons for a good price I'll split them with you

Have you still got standard cams in there? If so, you'd want to change that first. Carbed model intakes in the exhaust side if I'm right about your model year. And I'll sell you the cams This is dirt cheap for the benefits.

Or, smart money is probably on a bigger bike, if I'm honest. Modding SVs for power isn't a particularily smart use of money. Doesn't stop me, but then I'm a known buffoon.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-06, 08:23 AM   #5
muffles

part-ex

that's if you want it for power. i noticed a lot of people have said mod the bike, but i don't really feel the sv is anything particularly special, it is a good bike to get as your first bike though which is why i have it. But, if i did (feel it was special), i would mod the bike and keep it, as it's that particular bike i wanted...
Old 16-07-06, 08:47 AM   #6
andyaikido

Hhhhmmmmm...

lot to think about.

The big-bore route doesn't sound so appealing now. I'm more into handling than power but if I stick a GSXR front end on i'm restricting the amount of people i'll be able to sell it to when the time comes.

p.s. yes it's a K5 pointy. Well spotted Northy
Old 16-07-06, 08:51 AM   #7
Razor

Mod the hell out of it but keep all the standard bits, when the time comes for selling unbolt all the nice bits and flog it as a standardish bike. Then flog your suspension parts for probably the same kind of money that you paid for them.
Old 16-07-06, 09:02 AM   #8
Jelster

Get the IL4 sports bike and be done with it..... You'll never get the SV to handle as well as a GSXR without spending loads of money. My advice, go take a test on a GSXR750, a ZX636 and a CBR600 (RR and F)

The SV is a cracking bike, for the money......... To get it up to the handling of a sports machine you'll spend money that you'll never recover, and it will still be down on power to the supersports bikes. Money which you could put towards a K5 GSXR 750, 130+ BHP, sublime handling, and it's actually quite comfortable. I commuted on m 600 for 18 months, it went to France 3 or 4 times and did a couple of track days too.

The only reason I let it go was because I have a back complaint and if it was playing up, my back would ache after a good days riding, and seeing as I do quite a few 400 mile plus, 8-10 hour days on the bike, I decided to change for something not quite as focused.

Old 16-07-06, 09:53 AM   #9
kwak zzr

GSXR750 then you got the power and you dont need to spend money on mods because they look great anyway.
Old 16-07-06, 10:26 AM   #10
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

If I were you I would mod my bike enough to sort out the suspension so that its usable whilst you are paying off your loans. But don't go mad chucking money at it. I would wager you could sort your suspension out for a reasonable some of money. New rear shock, Upgrade front springs and oil and it will handle much better than standard. Personally for me its to much work to put a GSXR front end on the bike. Especially as you sound like you arent going to keep it anyway. You'll never get the money back.

Then in a year and halfs time. Purchase a Sports bike as others have said.

IMHO you'll never get an SV to the power output of an IL4 600. Its just not going to happen.

The other thing to think about is to keep your SV as a winter run about / bike to commute on then you have your new IL4 or whatever you decide to purchase a summer bike / weekend plaything. Which is what I have done after being offered £800 part ex against my K5 GSXR 750.

Now don't get my wrong the SV is a great bike. But the GSXR is something else again. Better brakes, Better handling. Its a completely different world.

I did look at an SV Thou instead of the GSXR it definatley did appeal. More power, brakes and suspension from a GSXR 750 I believe. Might be something to think about especially a K6 SVS in black.

The one thing I will say is that I miss ragging my SV on the limit. I can't ride the GSXR at its limit. Because mainly I can't find it as its better than me and the other reason that even small periods of hard riding see you well into 3 figure speeds.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote