SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-02-08, 07:31 PM   #1
Berlin

Default Project - Anyone have the engine mound dimentions for a curvy?

I'm looking into the possibilities of shoe-horning an SV 650 engine into a 650 single frame.

It's going to be a one of those ridiculously complex engineeing jobs where everything is going to be a problem. The petrol tank on the single is underslung, the Sprocket on the rear wheel is on the right hand side and there's no room for a tank *and* an airbox.

But that's precisely why I want to try it

Does anyone have the mounting point dimentions and where they are in relation to the ground, head stock, radiator. Width of the engine, height and carb dimentions? I'm open to suggestions on whether the FI engine would be better than the carb. version to use for this and if there is a difference between the mounting points on the various engines. I'm thinking there'd be less to worry about re sensors on a carbed bike.

Any help or suggestions welcome!

Cheers,
Carl

Last edited by Berlin; 09-02-08 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-02-08, 07:50 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Project - Anyone have the engine mound dimentions for a curvy?

If you run carbs without an airbox then you need to mess around with the air jets.

I have a spare engine if you want something to measure against, but I don't have the instruments to get precise dimensions.
Old 09-02-08, 08:15 AM   #3
Berlin

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the offer. Do you know which engine it is in case they are different?

A normal plastic ruler will be fine for initial measurements. i just need to know if it fits in the frame. If it doesn't it might end up with a CR500 two stroke engine

What I'm specifically looking for are the engine mount points with the engine set in the position it sits in in the frame (not tilted back or forwards).

Measuring form the crank How far up and forwards and up and back are the mount points? (eg. 215mm up, 137mm back from the crank)

What is the maximum width of the heads? What is the maximum horizontal distance back from the crank and the overall engine length, width and height with the engine sat as it would in the frame. Overall engine dimentions. How far from the centreline is the sprocket (centre, vertically) and how far is it from the crank? And finally (for now ) what are the widths of the engine mount points themselves.

Thanks Chris, I'm looking for the BMW Single engine (rotax) dimentions online now and if the sprocket and brake caliper can be switched sides.

All of this could be measured from a scale drawing of an engine schematic if anyone knows where there's one on line.

Cheers,

Carl
Old 09-02-08, 03:20 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I'll take some measurements you later on in the day, they'll be basic like, but shouls give you an idea.

I think louisas (dizzyblondes) curvy is upside down next to it though, so might have to get my mate down to turn it right way up so I can get the spare lump out of its niche though!