SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-05-15, 02:52 AM   #1
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Why is the SV such a great bike?

for me its the real world ridability of them add to that they are forgiving of mistakes and then you have the 200 mile (twin spark) tank range. personally i dont want to ride a bike that i cant make use of all the power. yes sometimes i wish the SV had extra horses but then it does not matter what bike you ride you always want extra horses as you get accustomed to them.

in standard guise they are a superb bike and a lot of people are more than happy with them that way but treat them to nice bouncy bits and you are rewarded with something that is fun but does what its told.

ok so they are made of cheese components that need constant attention but if kept on top of them they are a great bike.

the SV650, an honest down to earth fun to ride bike

so go on then give us your reason for owning an SV?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-15, 05:53 AM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Why is the SV such a great bike?

Mine's sooo pruuudty.

Similar to your thoughts, yes i could do with more horses sometimes, but even on the track yesterday it is as fast on the corners as the big bikes. If i was a better braver rider on the track id scare a few on the bends.

Yes, the higher hp bikes disappeared down the straights, but i passed a couple of faster bike, and kept up with faster bikes because they were ridden by riders who weren't using them to their full potential on the track.

Plus i love V twins

Last edited by maviczap; 12-05-15 at 01:09 PM.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-15, 10:28 AM   #3
jambo
Mega Poster

They're cheap, narrow and have character. If you have one of the proper curvy ones the wing mirrors fold in with the swat of a hand letting you through London traffic gaps that defeat scooters. Plenty of parts available to tailor it for everything from touring to racing. Novice friendly and capable of some proper pace in the right hands. They are fairly straight-forward to work on for a home mechanic.

In short, there's a whole lot to like.

Jambo
Old 12-05-15, 11:13 AM   #4
ophic
Mega Poster

in my experience, fun things with nice bouncy bits don't do as they're told
Old 12-05-15, 11:48 AM   #5
Trev B

In a word....useability!!!!if that's a word???
Old 12-05-15, 12:02 PM   #6
Redmist

All of the above, especially the easy to work on part!

When you want to go faster or increase your heart rate on rides...get the 1000!!

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-15, 12:17 PM   #7
Fen Tiger

My first road bike was a Casal sports moped and i remember trying to get some crankcase gaskets at a local bike shop. The owner took me outside onto the street and said, "have a look around, how many Casals do you see?". I was a bit cheesed off at the time, but it was good advice. Ride a bike that is popular and well liked. Makes ownership better for all sorts of reasons, parts and knowledge pool being an important part. I also like a bike which is light and can be ridden through its whole engine range rather than having to be ridden at a third throttle the whole time. Only had the SV for 8 months and loving it. looking forward to many SV miles and smiles.
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-15, 12:31 PM   #8
KingDerelict

Had mine from new for 14 years.

For me, it's every bike you could ever want - it'll commute; it'll get a wiggle on when you want it to; you can leave it as standard if you are that way inclined, or you can personalise it to suit your riding style without breaking the bank; with a decent exhaust it makes a great noise; it's a relaxing cruiser; it's got useful grunt to overtake; and it has aged a lot better than I have.

I've got a Street Triple as well, which is fun, like having a puppy, whilst the SV is like a faithful old Labrador - fun when you want it to be, but not threatening or intimidating.

Plus it was cheap in the first place - probably one of my best ever purchases in terms of value for money.
KingDerelict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-15, 01:02 PM   #9
nutzboutbikes

For me the main reasons are there one of the most fun and easy bikes to ride, full of character, relatively cheap and easy to work on and they make a fantastic noise!.
Old 12-05-15, 01:58 PM   #10
Dipper

Sixty to the gallon, reliable, agile but can still take a 3000 mile tour in it's stride. ...that and it's got a sweet little V twin ...I couldn't imagine life without a V twin.
Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote