SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-08-15, 08:46 PM   #1
Jokerboy

Default What a great little bike.

I have had a fair few bikes most of which have been inline fours, the latest and current is Kawasaki Z1000SX, it is a great bike, comfortable, great handling
and a ruthlessly efficient engine. It cost me a packet.
However I also have an SV650s it's a K4 pointy and I paid £1900 for it, a bit much you may think but it is a good example.
It has a Quill can, fairing lowers a seat cowl a tail tidy, all calipers have been rebuilt and braided lines fitted. The front forks springs were replaced and oil changed I got it to use as a track bike but kept it road legal so I could ride to the track ( and hopefully home again ) as it happens it's only done a couple of track days.
Anyway the point is I was out on it today on my local fast twisties
and it was just you know - flowing, it was a pleasure to ride, lazy gear changes, using the engines torque and the little thing was just so nimble.
Just shows you don't have to spend a fortune to enjoy a great days riding and to be honest he V twin engine is way more engaging than any inline four.
I arrived home and vowed I would never sell it, so much bike/fun for comparatively so little outlay. Brilliant.
Old 05-08-15, 10:52 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: What a great little bike.

it may be nimble but its surprisingly heavy and weighs the same as a GSXR750.

stick some proper springy bits on and the bike really shines

i love mine but i keep looking at other bikes then i go for a ride and think WHY.. it does everything i ask of it and has taken me lots of pennies to get it how i want it as there are not many bikes i can get on being 5ft fek all.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 07:16 AM   #3
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
it may be nimble but its surprisingly heavy and weighs the same as a GSXR750.
I'm coming at it the other way, the SV weighs the same as my old GT380 stroker but has double the power and torque

The engine is an absolute peach, it just feels right, and the slimness helps too.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 03:10 PM   #4
Jokerboy

I put Hyperpro progressive springs in the front and their recommended oil, bit pricey for the rear shock so I'm looking out for and adjustable rear shock from another bike to fit in, however most people know what fits and even the price of used ones are creeping up.
I had never actually compared weights, the SV always just seemed light to me, maybe because it's narrow and I think the weight sits quite low too which helps I suppose, to be honest I'm no expert I just think that for the money they are a great bike.
I bet if Suzuki relaunched them with USD forks and adjustable rear shock and a weeny bit more power they would have another bestseller on thier hands.
There is little to choose from for V Twin fans that's not Italian and megabucks.
Old 06-08-15, 03:18 PM   #5
Jokerboy

Here she is on Buttertubs Pass.

Last edited by Jokerboy; 06-08-15 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-08-15, 03:25 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerboy View Post
I bet if Suzuki relaunched them with USD forks and adjustable rear shock and a weeny bit more power they would have another bestseller on thier hands.
There is little to choose from for V Twin fans that's not Italian and megabucks.
Suzuki know this and if they made the SV too good then people would be less inclined to trade up and lets be honest here, would you buy an SV if it were the same price as a GSXR 600. i personally think that they dont even need USD forks and RWU with decent 4 pots and a decent shock from say the older GSXR 600 range would be sufficient.

luckily suzuki bikes are parts bin specials and we can bolt on the good bits from the GSXR range without too much fuss.
Old 06-08-15, 07:43 PM   #7
Jokerboy

Mmmm, Interesting point.
Which would I choose between a GSXR 600 and an SV as I described - I'd pick the SV but I like V Twins but that's just me and I'm probably in a minority with this choice, and I've got a four cylinder litre bike to play with too so my answer is obviously biased, any case I can't see Suzuki changing their marketing policy on my say so. LMFAO !

Last edited by Jokerboy; 06-08-15 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-08-15, 07:47 PM   #8
Jokerboy

PS just found your original thread Bibio, "Why is the SV such a great bike"
I could have added this to it had I realised earlier doh !
Old 06-08-15, 07:56 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

it was the advice of a now deceased friend that made me choose the SV as i was going to get a Ducati after having a go on my brothers 750ss
Old 06-08-15, 07:57 PM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

new threads are good