SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-04-08, 07:41 AM   #1
krhall

Default Paddock stands, so many which ones are best?

http://www.bitzforbikes.co.uk/genera...FQOB1AodEVcW5A

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=901466

http://www.bikerpartsdirect.com/Item...0Stands%20Pair

http://www.bigbikebook.com/ProductDe...tegoryID/3064/

Any of these any good?

Last edited by krhall; 24-04-08 at 07:44 AM.
Old 24-04-08, 07:56 AM   #2
neio79

Default Re: Paddock stands, so many which ones are best?

Have got the Oxford paddock stand, and used it for both the SV and the 6R. Good bit of kit. I think most are the same really.

I would suggest getting swing arm bobbins and then you can use the hooks on the paddock stand. They make life a lot easier and more secure for lifting the rear end up
Old 24-04-08, 08:05 AM   #3
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by neio79 View Post
I would suggest getting swing arm bobbins and then you can use the hooks on the paddock stand. They make life a lot easier and more secure for lifting the rear end up
+1, if you want to be lazy. Don't see it as any extra effort to use cup-type rear paddocks personally.

Think I paid £20 for my paddock stand (rear).

krhall, if I were you, I'd buy an Abba stand rather than a paddock. More expensive, but the one stand will let you get front & rear off the floor (not really at the same time though.
Old 24-04-08, 08:23 AM   #4
neio79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
+1, if you want to be lazy. Don't see it as any extra effort to use cup-type rear paddocks personally.

I used the cup style on the SV and noticed that due to the slight angle of the swing arm the bike slipped through a bit so the paddock stand got closer to the engine, and the back wheel slipped more out at the back if that makes sense??

When I got the 6R the shape of the swing arm doesn’t lend itself to using the cup holders particularly securely. So got the bobbins and hooks. IMO far more stable.
Old 24-04-08, 09:07 AM   #5
Baph

Quote:
I used the cup style on the SV and noticed that due to the slight angle of the swing arm the bike slipped through a bit so the paddock stand got closer to the engine, and the back wheel slipped more out at the back if that makes sense??
I found that too, but only when putting the bike on a paddock stand facing downhill.

The solution to that problem was a couple of elastic bands on the front brake - placed after the bike is on the paddock stand. Remove the elastic bands before you take the bike off the stand.
Old 24-04-08, 09:10 AM   #6
neio79

True enough, but even after that the 6R’s swing arm is better suited to the bobbins and hooks
Old 24-04-08, 09:22 AM   #7
asmiffy

Smile Re: Paddock stands, so many which ones are best?

Hi
I got a Motrax Paddock stand, great bit of kit, it uses 38mm chunky tubes, the lifters (both bobbin and swingarm) bolt in place for easy locating. And best of all the handle slides under the back wheel so it takes up No extra space in the Garage!!!!!

Below might work as a link to one like mine on Fleebay
(but it looks a Tad Long!!!!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTRAX-REAR-PA...2em118Q2el1247
Old 24-04-08, 09:23 AM   #8
Baph

Quote:
True enough, but even after that the 6R?s swing arm is better suited to the bobbins and hooks
But not everyone on SV650.org has a 6R now do they?
Old 24-04-08, 09:44 AM   #9
Ceri JC

I use and am happy with: Back, bog standard cheap biketek one, with hooks and bobbins kit. Front, spike that goes into the hole under the headstock, folding frame.

For the vast majority of stuff I use those two. When undoing seized bolts/changing the shock I use an ABBA stand. The standard front end ones aren't much use on the SV, as the fork bottoms are at slightly different heights and even with the adjustment to correct for this, I find the fork lowers twist round with the front axle out and it's a pig to get it back in. I've also had the bike fall off this sort of stand 3 times and it was only through having someone else within shouting distance to get the stand back in place whilst I held the front of the bike up I was able to stop the bike falling to the floor.
Old 24-04-08, 09:44 AM   #10
krhall

asmiffy - That ebay link lead me to a company local to me who service and all sorts.

Sound really good, what a find! Thanks.