SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-05-10, 09:33 PM   #141
Jabba

Default Re: The Cycling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Oh christ, you can actually drink that Zipvit stuff I tried some I couldnt stomach it
Only the fruit punch flavour - the others are deffo

Finishing the supply of last year's Gatorade tomorrow - yippee!! That stuff makes my teeth feel like they are furry
Old 24-05-10, 07:01 AM   #142
krhall

Right another ride to work complete, will swap pedals over today if I get a chance.

So does anyone have any tips on technique/how-to cycle advice. It took me a full 2 minutes longer this morning (my chain did fall off), but the traffic was easier.

Also my ass is still sore from friday despite padded shorts? So what do I need to do?
Old 24-05-10, 01:56 PM   #143
krhall

I have my spd pedals off the hybrid, but cannot get the spd-sl's off of the road bike for love nor money - any advice?
Old 24-05-10, 03:37 PM   #144
krhall

I gave up and took the bike to the cycle shop a few mins from work, they loosened them off for me.

Thank-you The Cycle Warehouse - Greenwich, really friendly and helpful service!
Old 24-05-10, 05:32 PM   #145
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall View Post
Also my ass is still sore from friday despite padded shorts? So what do I need to do?
Maybe a change of saddle, but give your ass time to get used to this new pain you're inflicting on it.

Sudo cream after the ride can help with post ride soreness
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-10, 05:46 PM   #146
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Only the fruit punch flavour - the others are deffo
yep fruit punch flavouur is the only nice one. had one of their trial packs, man was the chocolate recovery drink vile. but protein bars were really nice after a ride

I use Hi 5 4:1 drink which has a good flavour, plus their energy gel satchets, bit sweet for some, but i like them that way.

But for your long rides in the near future, take some jelly babies or jelly beans in your jersey pocket, and eat regular small amounts to keep your energy levels topped up. These are cheaper that gel satchets and have loads of calories which is what you need

Best of luck
Old 24-05-10, 05:55 PM   #147
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall View Post
Ah... you need to give a little time for your butt to toughen up / get used to cycling. As said above the type of saddle / seating position can make a big difference, as everybody is a different shape.

If you are suffering get some chamois creme and put it on the chamois / pad on your shorts or on you in that region. It really does make a difference.

As for technique again everybody is different, you need to work out if you are a spinner or a grinder. I.e. do you push a low gear at a high RPM or a high gear at low RPM. Neither is wrong its just what about you feel comfortable with.

If you are just starting out I'd be concentrating on your base level fitness / endurance and then worry about the speed afterwards, dont pay to much attention to average speed either as it can be a little misleading.

Just do your commute for a couple of months and then if you can a longer ride at weekends and remember to take a day out to rest. Because recovery time is just as important as actually bike time is.

Dont try and do to much distance to soon or you'll knacker yourself out and if you are out in this hot weather, remember to drink plenty of fluids.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-10, 06:03 PM   #148
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Ah... you need to give a little time for your butt to toughen up / get used to cycling. As said above the type of saddle / seating position can make a big difference, as everybody is a different shape.

If you are suffering get some chamois creme and put it on the chamois / pad on your shorts or on you in that region. It really does make a difference.
Keep your padded shorts clean as well, as you could get saddle sores, not pleasant

Pays to have at least 2 pairs of shorts if you're cycling regularly

If you bought cheap padded shorts then that could also be your problem. I had some old shorts that I used, but compared to more modern shorts they're crap.

The DHB brand sold by Wiggle get good reviews and aren't expensive. I bought 2 pairs and the pad is much better than a cheap pair I bought from Decathlon
Old 24-05-10, 06:07 PM   #149
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
The DHB brand sold by Wiggle get good reviews and aren't expensive.
The pads go after a while, I have given up wiht my DHB Bibs as they arent comfy anymore. Also I was informed that the lycra has gone see transparent in bright sunlight

The 3/4 length Bibs seem better in that respect, but I agree, dont under estimate the value of good quality shorts.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-10, 06:11 PM   #150
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
The pads go after a while, I have given up wiht my DHB Bibs as they arent comfy anymore. Also I was informed that the lycra has gone see transparent in bright sunlight

The 3/4 length Bibs seem better in that respect, but I agree, dont under estimate the value of good quality shorts.
Yes, I can see the pads starting to wear in certain places, but for the money they're fine. The one thing I don't like is the cut of the panels, so I'll be ordering something else at some point