SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-09-10, 11:13 PM   #541
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Cycling Thread

I've used SPDs for years on my MTBs (OK OK I know I've hardly ridden it for years) and wouldn't go from a clipless system now. I've got Shimano SPD-SL road pedals (cheaper than Look) on my road bike and find them just as easy to use.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-10, 08:59 AM   #542
WicklowSV

Aye - same here. Have SPD's on the mountain bike and am really happy with them. First few times I was out I hadn't reduced the tension and kept on keeling over at low speed!! But once I adjusted them to be easy to pop out of they were the business. Wouldn't go back to normal pedals now...
Old 16-09-10, 09:12 AM   #543
pookie

aldi doing bicycle gear in today..

http://aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/off...?WT.z_src=main

Bought the Fluro rain jacket and cycling trousers and shorts. Trousers are padded which is nice.
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-10, 09:17 AM   #544
Luckypants
Mega Poster

What do you think of the quality? Is it worth buying these cheap items or getting something more expensive from Wiggle/CRC? I'll have to make a special journey to Aldi tonight, but it is kinda on my way to spin class - worth the trip?

PS What are the sizes like? Normal or a bit big/small?
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-10, 09:32 AM   #545
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
You'd be surprised, but it does take an awful lot of forward planning and sometimes you have to bunny hop. Be surprised how much clearance you get with clipless pedals when carrying out the bunny hop
Yep, check out Cav's cheeky bunny hop when he won that last stage in the Vuelta. Most of the cross riders can bunny hop some of the smaller obstacles easy, although I remember Dave Baker stacking it big time at the last obstacle before the sprint finish for the National title.

SPds rule on and off road,can't imagine riding without them
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-10, 09:42 AM   #546
WicklowSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
What do you think of the quality? Is it worth buying these cheap items or getting something more expensive from Wiggle/CRC? I'll have to make a special journey to Aldi tonight, but it is kinda on my way to spin class - worth the trip?

I have had the winter cycling jacket for a good while now and the quality is on a par with the (way) more expensive stuff on Wiggle/ay my local bikeshop. I paid under 30 euro for it and the one in the bikeshop (which is almost identical) was selling for almost 90 euro. Even the rubber tabs on the cuffs are the same! Bought herself another one this morning for when were out cycling together and have no doubts about the quality. And no, I don't have shares in Aldi!

Also picked up the waterproof trousers this morning - will mostly use them for hillwalking but they have some nice features like velcro straps to tighten the lower leg (handy when on the bike) and reflective piping too. I'm a 36" waist and went for the large size which fits fine. Am tempted to nip back later and pick up an XL pair for over my bike leathers.

The sizes seem to be about average - not overly large or small. Sure just try them on in the shop before buying - everyone else was doing the same this morning!
Old 16-09-10, 09:45 AM   #547
pookie

Just tried the fluro jacket and its a medium and tight across the shoulders and baggy at the bottom. It may have to go back.

The trousers are really good. Padding and material felt good. Nice rubberised ankle hoops and reflective spots on the side. I went for slightly larger size and it was very comfortable fit.

Shorts have a removable padded pant thing. and seem functional as water resistant hard wearing material.

Quote:

Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-10, 09:55 AM   #548
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:

Jackets and jersey's are comparabale with Wiggle's DHB own brand stuff.

I wouldn't buy shorts from Aldi, the chamois inserts aren't great
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-10, 12:02 PM   #549
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

So these SPDs, how on earth do people fall off them? It's so easy I'd happily teach my 60yr old mother how to use them

Back the adjusters off two clicks and it's actually easier getting going than with the DMRs, as when the shoe touches them it won't move...

Wasn't particularly impressed on the test ride until I hit a hill, then it's a great improvement being able to balance the downward stroke with an upward one on the other leg

Wearing them in today, we'll see how they fair after 50 odd miles on Sunday...
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-10, 01:01 PM   #550
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
So these SPDs, how on earth do people fall off them? It's so easy I'd happily teach my 60yr old mother how to use them
Easy: get them full of mud and don't clean them for a while As a rule of thumb, the bigger the platform, the easier it is on your feet, but it'll store a lot more crud inside them which will block the system at some point. If you're lucky, they won't even click in, forcing you to clean them before you can't click out...

...and yes, this "ooops can't click out" thing happened to me twice. First one in front of a bus stop full of people in rush hour. As you try and take your foot out of the pedal you just realise that it's not going anywhere, so you pull harder to the side, which makes the bike even more unstable, and when you're already at a stand still, that's not good news. Dropped like a brick on my right hand side.
As for the second time, I was almost getting home and managed to identify the symptoms a bit earlier, so just coasted my way into a low fence in front of my house, leaned into it, managed to take my shoes off while on the bike and then went inside to get some tools and WD40...

Quote:
Wasn't particularly impressed on the test ride until I hit a hill, then it's a great improvement being able to balance the downward stroke with an upward one on the other leg
They're brilliant for that kind of stuff. I find that I work the pedals in a more fluid rotation, instead of mashing down on them. Much easier!