SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-09-08, 08:39 PM   #61
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Cycling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by robchester View Post
Also wish to ask Fizz what kind of figures you get on your TT? How long you riding it for, and what kind of avg speeds are you getting? I dont know whether or not its comparable with the road. Trying to keep my cadence above 80 though.
Depends what I'm doing...

Sometimes I use it to build speed so I'll do

10 Minute warmup
20 minute flat out as hard as I can go
10 minute recovery
20 minute flat out as hard as I can go
10 - 15 minute recovery / warmdown

Otherwise if I'm trying to build endurance its pull the trainer in front of the TV and stick a DVD on and then just pedal till the film has ended, this could be 1 1/2 hrs or sometimes up to 3 really depends on how I feel. Over the winter I mix the endurance with the intervals and the try and mix that with some road rides to.

If you're trying to build up your strength again then I'd just do some gentle spins 80 or so on your cadence is good you should be trying to keep that up, anywhere in the 70 - 80 range is a good place to be from what I've read. On the road I'm a bit higher 85 - 90 but thats because I prefer to spin than push a big gear round.

Best I've done is an average of 20mph over a 30 minute session, Its normally around the 17 - 19 mph range. I'm not really looking at speed on the Turbo. I'm using my heartrate monitor to try and maintain a pulse rate of about 80 - 85% of my theoretical max heart beat.

It really depends what you're trying to do. If you're not sure probably best to ask an expert because I'm not one and I dont know what your aim is and I dont wanna give you duff advice and mess up what you're doing

Remember you'll sweat like a b*stard on the turbo so make sure you drink plenty of fluids before, during and after.

Quote:
Lastly, anyone know how to achieve the proper seated position? I think ive got seat height correct as im not rolling on the saddle but fore/aft position im not so sure of...
OK this is a bit easier, put the heel of your foot on the pedal and then set the seat height so that your leg is straight with your heel like that. Then you should find with the ball of your foot on the pedal, ( which is where it should be for maximum pedalling efficency ) your knee should have a slight bend in it at the bottom of the stroke. Dont let your leg go dead straight you'll loose power and over extend your knee which will make it sore.

As for seat position, common theory is to have the nose of the saddle in a line with the bottom bracket. So if you can aim for that it should see you right. Its all approximate I just set mine up so I feel comfortable on it when I ride. Looking at both my bikes at the mo, the nose of the saddle is pretty much as I said, in line with the bottom bracket. Set it like that and then adjust it so you sit roughly in the middle of the saddle. Just have a tweak with it till you get it comfortable, using the Turbo is handy for bike setup though so you should get a pretty good fit as long as the frame is the right size for you.

Sorry for the ramble, hope that helps

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-08, 08:49 PM   #62
rob13

yeah thanks for that. Ive got a TT tyre on the MTB so ive got little rolling resistance, but I dont have SPD pedals and shoes, something which I think I might eventually invest in. Ive built my time upto 20 minutes at the moment as I didnt want to aggrevate any issues with my knee, and its more about building strength and endurance. Ive just been putting the laptop on a table and watching dvd on there. I might actually put a TV & DVD in the garage so I can just put it on there. Alternatively bring the bike into the lounge. Im determined to increase my avg speed (lowly 13.5mph) and increase my cadence so that im doing about 85-90. I havent got a HRM and have thought about getting one of those too as they do tell a lot about how much you're pushing yourself but just need to buy bits at a time.

Once back at work, I might even look into the cycle to work scheme to pick up a road bike, or put some road tyres on my MTB.
Old 11-09-08, 08:57 PM   #63
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

It seems like to me you're doing the right thing, spinning is definately less harsh on your knees so keep working on that.

SPD's will make a difference you'll find you'll go a bit faster for a bit less effort as you push and pull on each pedal stroke. A definate benefit IMHO.

Yep a heartrate monitor is a definate advantage in this kind of situation. Mine is built into my cycle computer so it does everything, but you dont need it like that go into boots or somewhere and have a look at what they have, you can pick up a basic one for £10 - £20 IIRC Or wiggle have a sale on at the moment with 20% off of all running type heart rate monitors that you wear on your wrist, alot of people use them.

Have a look here

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/Cycle/7/Heart_Rate_Monitors/

Old 11-09-08, 09:15 PM   #64
rob13

Cheapest Polar one I found was £30.

I bought the Cateye Strada Cadence which while its ideal for TT work, I doubt itll be any good on the trails so might have to remove it.
Old 11-09-08, 09:27 PM   #65
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

that Cateye gets storming reviews on the cycling website.

I've got a Polar very pleased with it. Also I think Lidl or Aldi were doing Heart rate monitors a while back so you might keep an eye out for those to...

Old 11-09-08, 09:52 PM   #66
rob13

Will do. The Strada seems to do what it says on the tin so far.

Set of pedals and shoes probably next.
Old 11-09-08, 09:54 PM   #67
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Set of pedals and shoes probably next.
Good plan, I know alot of people who dont think they make any difference but they do. IMHO its one of the best upgrades you can make.

Old 11-09-08, 09:56 PM   #68
rob13

Seen a few Shimano options so will probably go for those. Will have to go down to the LBS to try the shoes on though.
Old 11-09-08, 10:12 PM   #69
mattSV
Mega Poster

Good idea to try the shoes first - cycling shoes for some reason always seem to be a size smaller than normal shoes
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 07:43 AM   #70
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

And the Shimano shoes are quite narrow so if you have wide fit, they wont feel comfy on your feet. remember when you get hot you feet swell so dont buy anything to tight or you'll be uncomfortable.