SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-09-08, 08:09 AM   #71
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Cycling Thread

OK cycling from a non cyclists perspective. You pushbikers please answer.

1) Why do some idiots insist on riding on the pavement. Get aggressive at pedestrians and refuse to use the marked cycle lane that runs along the side of the road?

2) Why when two or more cyclists (not kids/families, but the lycra clad brigade) ride on the road do they ride alongside each other instead of behind eqach other. Nice on the single lane country roads with a rolling roadblock doing 20-30 and refusing to let you past?

I have no problem with cycling. I have a problem with the attitude of some cyclists.
Old 12-09-08, 08:34 AM   #72
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
1) Why do some idiots insist on riding on the pavement. Get aggressive at pedestrians and refuse to use the marked cycle lane that runs along the side of the road?
Because they are idiots.

I sometimes cycle on the road even though theres a cycle lane though, the etiquette of some other cyclists is rubbish and I'd rather take my chances in amongst the cages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
2) Why when two or more cyclists (not kids/families, but the lycra clad brigade) ride on the road do they ride alongside each other instead of behind eqach other. Nice on the single lane country roads with a rolling roadblock doing 20-30 and refusing to let you past?
I cycle two abreast if I'm out with a mate, but we only do it on quiet country lanes and we keep a good look out for cars, if we see one approaching we go back into single file in plenty of time for the car to get past.

Personally I think some people loose their common sense we they get onto a pushbike. I also think that some people are just damn selfish and to pay any thought to over people around them.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition

Last edited by fizzwheel; 12-09-08 at 08:36 AM.
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-08, 10:40 AM   #73
mattSV
Mega Poster

Bollox

Bit of a big off this morning - doing about 20mph, hit a lump of concrete with the front wheel which punctured the tyre and threw my hands off the bars.

Went down on my right hand side, took all the skin of my elbow and lots of other grazing to leg/hips/chest/arm.

Been to hospital and got myself cleaned up - luckily looks like no breaks, however I think I will have a lot of bruising!

Bike looks a bit of a mess now however I think a new rear mech hanger is the only part that needs replacing - won't know for definite until I have fitted it and then see if the rear mech is ok.
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-08, 10:48 AM   #74
Skip
Mega Poster

Ouch sounds painfull Matt GWS!

I often think about what little I am wearing when hurtling down a hill at 35mph - could end up in bad shape if you come off at that speed!
Old 18-09-08, 02:35 PM   #75
mattSV
Mega Poster

Cheers Skip - just ordered some new parts for the bike, treated myself to a carbon bottle cage at the same time

Have also just been to Aldi - spent less than seventy five quid and bought:-

Winter bib leggings - fleece lined and padded - two pairs
SPD shoes
2* winter jerseys
A winter jacket
2 pairs of socks

Bargain - less than I used to spend on just a pair of shorts and a tshirt!

Details here:-

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...thursday08.htm
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-08, 02:38 PM   #76
Skip
Mega Poster

Didnt know their cycling offer was on at the moment - would have popped out at lunch if I had known! Damn!
Old 18-09-08, 06:59 PM   #77
rob13

Up pops the thread again.
Well Ive been picking up the pace on the bike and my leg is getting much stronger. Managed to get myself upto 20 mins on the trainer which works out at 5 miles dead as I can maintain a speed of 15mph on it.

Shows how unfit I am though when you've got pro's doing twice the distance in the same time!
Old 19-09-08, 07:47 AM   #78
krhall

I've managed 100 miles this week of traffic dodging cycling hell. Got all the way to works car park slowly coming to a halt outside reception and pulled a bit too much front brake then - bye bye straight over the bars with my feet still clipped in - what a prat!

Still 100 miles in a week from minimal cycling is quiate an achievement - but I do need a faster bike or faster legs.
Old 19-09-08, 07:50 AM   #79
Skip
Mega Poster

Ouch - could have been nasty!

I usually cycle my 75 miles a week on a converted mountain bike on pleasant Norfolk C-roads but this Wednesday decided to use the circa 1980s Raleigh racing bike I had been leant by a colleague - I hated it! Just couldnt get on with the drop handlebars at all - probably because its just so different - back on the old faithful mountain bike now and its like slipping into a comfy old pair of slippers!
Old 19-09-08, 08:25 AM   #80
krhall

Every dude on a bike with skinny tyres seems to fly past me effortlessly.

One thing I have noticed which has really surprised me is that my back hasn't hurt at all since cycling to and from work.

I have decided that if I don't get into the marathon I'm going to apply for the London to brighton bike ride!