SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Soho Massive For the London based SV owners

Old 08-10-13, 07:25 PM   #21
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Default Re: New Wheels.

Congrats, is this bike gonna take the brunt of the mileage then Mark? What's the servicing interval/costs like? Is it a good choice for lots of distance?

Triumph and Suzuki owner
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 08:13 PM   #22
Ninthbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
Biggest crock of crap I've read in a long time. How many Kawasakis have you owned, rather than just test riding?
Glad see you are showing off your new wheels Mark. I'll expect a visit soon when its up to your standard
Oh how we laughed!!! Three actually.
Old 08-10-13, 08:19 PM   #23
Ninthbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
Ah I see, your posts now make sense, was wondering why you'd be so irrelevantly negative in this type of thread, clearly you want to show you work in the industry in some fashion and consider yourself some sort of authority , rather than just trying to take the shine off someone elses new bike
Funny! I think 17 years in the bike industry does give me a level of experience but authority? Hmm.

[/QUOTE]It isn't surprising bikes rot in this countries winter climate, but then they all do that to one degree or another,whilst I'm aware price has a bearing on finish quality; I'm sure most of us already knew that, the choice is either put it away or keep it as clean as possible whiles enjoying all year round riding.[/QUOTE]
Agree entirely.

[/QUOTE]You suggest the Kawasaki range suffer bad engines; are uncomfortable, within the realm of mass generlisation (given your "open mind", it seems a rather narrow perspective) I'd have to disagree, not only do Kawasaki have a well deserved reputation for exceptional engines, but lumping something like a ZX6 & the retro Z800 together in a comfort category is at best ill considered of designated purpose.[/QUOTE]
Retro?? It's their latest offering with a brand new engine (which is phenomenal BTW) but my **** was asleep inside 30 minutes.
I don't remember suggesting anything about the range, just the ones that I have owned/ridden.

[/QUOTE]Perfect bike , given a specific time/place and ride, that will all change from moment to moment, the Versys much like the remit of the SV, is a well rounded "all rounder" which is just what it was designed for.[/QUOTE]

As I said, I haven't ridden anything in the ER6 range and I actually agree entirely

Last edited by Ninthbike; 08-10-13 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-10-13, 08:45 PM   #24
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I have done long days on an ER6 on the very challenging roads of Northern Thailand. Clunky gears, narrow bars, sore bum. I long for my comfy GS when I'm over there. Mr LPH had a Versys there last time which I think he enjoyed as the ER6 is cramped for him but as usual I'm too short.
Old 08-10-13, 08:46 PM   #25
rictus01
Mega Poster

given we believe you on 17 years within the industry, I'd have expected a more considered opinion, whilst an opinion can't actually be wrong, it can be so wildly left field from everyone else as to make the source worthless.

as to the "retro" nature of the W800, history wise it's an evolution of the W650 targeted in the same market segment as the Triumph bonnie, so retro is more than appropriate to describe it, in fact here's what Kawasaki actually say on their website for it

W800
Mixing high tech with heritage in one seductive retro package, the W800, with classic, class leading features, makes sound, simple sense in a complicated motorcycling world.
(ref here).

I'm surprised you've not ridden anything from the ER6 range, as it was introduced in 2006 and has been a popular seller ever since, but then if you've not ridden at least one of the variants in the last 6-7 years it does beg the question how limited this 17 years experience has been .
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 08:54 PM   #26
Ninthbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
given we believe you on 17 years within the industry, I'd have expected a more considered opinion, whilst an opinion can't actually be wrong, it can be so wildly left field from everyone else as to make the source worthless.

as to the "retro" nature of the W800, history wise it's an evolution of the W650 targeted in the same market segment as the Triumph bonnie, so retro is more than appropriate to describe it, in fact here's what Kawasaki actually say on their website for it

W800
Mixing high tech with heritage in one seductive retro package, the W800, with classic, class leading features, makes sound, simple sense in a complicated motorcycling world.
(ref here).

I'm surprised you've not ridden anything from the ER6 range, as it was introduced in 2006 and has been a popular seller ever since, but then if you've not ridden at least one of the variants in the last 6-7 years it does beg the question how limited this 17 years experience has been .
Read carefully - Z800, not W800. I've also been dealing directly with Kawasaki and many other manufacturers since joining the industry in June 1996. Not that I need to prove anything but if you would like to see my contract of employment......... Let's not fall out so soon, I haven't been here long and really didn't mean to offend. If I have, then I apologise.
Old 08-10-13, 09:03 PM   #27
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninthbike View Post
Let's not fall out so soon, I haven't been here long and really didn't mean to offend. If I have, then I apologise.
here, here!
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 11:31 PM   #28
rictus01
Mega Poster

Haha my bad Z not W, but the ergonomics point is still valid none the less.

As to "falling out", I've not met you or you me (to the best of my knowledge) and I don't pass judgement until I have, of course first impressions do leave that...an impression
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
Old 08-10-13, 11:34 PM   #29
rictus01
Mega Poster

Returning to the original point of the thread, 221 miles to the first tank of juice and a tank harness for my Triumph tank bag fitted, just done a quick run up to Blackheath for a cuppa, nice gentle ride.
Old 09-10-13, 10:21 AM   #30
Vinc

Congrats on the new bike!
What have you done to the others?